Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The rear gear on my frontier is way to high at 4.636 to 1. I want to decrease it to lower the RPM's that it runs at in high gear. Right now on the highway at 70 MPH in 5th gear it runs 3000 RPM's. I have not been able to find a lower rear gear to put in it and am wondering if y'all can help me. It is a 2004 Nissan Frontier xe-v6 5 speed with 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Try rock auto. Just remember your speedometer will be off once you change gear ratio.
Can you get an axle number off of that? Or pic of the number is better.

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
What kind of increase in your fuel economy is your goal? The cost of purchasing & installing new ring & pinion or a different used diff altogether will likely take a long time to make up in gas savings. You will lose out on acceleration, as well.

Reactions: RamTest

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Try rock auto. Just remember your speedometer will be off once you change gear ratio.
Axel number off of what? I am going to use a GPS speedometer to register my speed rather than my stock speedometer, Thank You for informing me of that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What kind of increase in your fuel economy is your goal? The cost of purchasing & installing new ring & pinion or a different used diff altogether will likely take a long time to make up in gas savings. You will lose out on acceleration, as well.
I really just want to increase it to 17 MPG for the average. Anything beyond that is a massive win.. Losing acceleration is kinda what I need lol. I go quarter throttle and it accelerates quickly but anything less than that and I seem like a 70+ guy talking off lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just checked rock auto and found some rack and pinion gears that are a better ratio than what came stock. Thank You for pointing that out. Thank You very much.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The rear gear on my frontier is way to high at 4.636 to 1. I want to decrease it to lower the RPM's that it runs at in high gear. Right now on the highway at 70 MPH in 5th gear it runs 3000 RPM's. I have not been able to find a lower rear gear to put in it and am wondering if y'all can help me. It is a 2004 Nissan Frontier xe-v6 5 speed with 2 wheel drive.
Do you know which axle you have? The two options are C200 and H233B, both of which were available on an 04 XE-V6 2WD. Easiest way to tell is if it has an 8-bolt diff cover on the rear of the axle (C200) or a drop-out third member with 11 nuts securing it to the front of the axle (H233B).

If C200, you'd be able to use 4.363 gears from the R200A front axle of an 00-04 4WD Frontier or Xterra, but possibly other options from other ratios from C200 (KA 2WD truck) or R200 (RWD car) applications, provided the pinion flange splining is the same. This swap requires knowledge and specialty tools for ring and pinion changes (to answer your question from your other thread...yeah, there's a lot of tools and know-how required).

If H233B, you can swap out the 3rd members from other 33-spline H233B-equipped trucks like 00-04 Frontier, 00-04 Xterra, 96-04 Pathfinder, and 97-03 QX4. Only ratio that's higher (numerically lower) is 4.363. They're direct swaps; no gear setup or special know-how required. You'd need to check if your ABS sensor(s) are on the 3rd member or on the axle tube ends.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Axel number off of what? I am going to use a GPS speedometer to register my speed rather than my stock speedometer, Thank You for informing me of that.
Speedo correction can be done inexpensively with a new speed sensor gear from Nissan. I think they're around $15. Just need to do a simple calculation to know which tooth-count you need.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you know which axle you have? The two options are C200 and H233B, both of which were available on an 04 XE-V6 2WD. Easiest way to tell is if it has an 8-bolt diff cover on the rear of the axle (C200) or a drop-out third member with 11 nuts securing it to the front of the axle (H233B).

If C200, you'd be able to use 4.363 gears from the R200A front axle of an 00-04 4WD Frontier or Xterra, but possibly other options from other ratios from C200 (KA 2WD truck) or R200 (RWD car) applications, provided the pinion flange splining is the same. This swap requires knowledge and specialty tools for ring and pinion changes (to answer your question from your other thread...yeah, there's a lot of tools and know-how required).

If H233B, you can swap out the 3rd members from other 33-spline H233B-equipped trucks like 00-04 Frontier, 00-04 Xterra, 96-04 Pathfinder, and 97-03 QX4. Only ratio that's higher (numerically lower) is 4.363. They're direct swaps; no gear setup or special know-how required. You'd need to check if your ABS sensor(s) are on the 3rd member or on the axle tube ends.
I have a H233B. I have never seen an axle like this before. I have never seen one with a drop out 3rd member in the front of the axle. I have only ever seen differential covers.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a H233B. I have never seen an axle like this before. I have never seen one with a drop out 3rd member in the front of the axle. I have only ever seen differential covers.
They are (were) common in Nissan and Toyota trucks. Nissan stopped using the style after 2004, but up to that year had two models in trucks (H233B and smaller H190...but not counting a larger H260 variant found in Patrols).

In your case, you've got the ABS sensor on the snout. You'd need another 3rd member with one to make it a drop-in solution. Notably, a unit without the sensor still physically fits and otherwise work from a drivetrain perspective, but it's about 1/2" shorter (can be a problem on trucks with 2-piece driveshafts) and the ABS system will be non-functional without sensor input.

Installing a 4.363 ring and pinion set in the case is still an option. Despite the differences, the internals are interchangeable (well, true for the "newer" housings, say 92-04).

I have a few 4.363 3rds on hand, but none in ABS cases. I can sell you the R&P set, but the install work will exceed the cost of a junkyard unit (they run about $150 here in AZ). You'd need some specialty tools (including a press) to do it right if considering DIY. I recommend a donor unit because it has everything assembled, probably won't require any setup (depending vehicle age/condition/mileage, etc.), and if you realize the change was for nought, you can just swap the old diff in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts