Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was originally thinking my U-joint was starting to go out, but now I'm not so sure. At first it'd make either a pop or a clink when I'd put it in reverse or drive. Now it's still doing that but today I started hearing a sort of rattle front the rear end when I'm decelerating and about to stop. I also noticed that I've got some oil leaking around the seal that's close to where the drive shaft connects to the axle. Any idea wtf is going on? Never had an issue like this, sorry for being a noob. Friend said if it was just the U-joint he'd help me fix it but another beyond that is over his head. :crikey:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So no ideas guys?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Well, it sounds like your pinion seal is gone since it is leaking. This could mean you are low on fluid. Havn't you removed the fill plug and checked to see where the fluid was? Do this on level ground thou.

If it is low, you may have ran it dry and screwed up the R/P gears.

Do that first and then come back with info so we can help some more.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Is it a manual or an Auto? I have a manual 6sp. Just today while back up out of my driveway there was a sqeek coming from under the truck. like a corralation to revolutions f the driveshaft. it only makes the noise when under load reversing or using the transmission to slow down, kind of like compression breaking. I just jacked th rear axle up and put it in neutral and spun the tires around a couple times but could not get it to happen. I think I will take it into Nissan as I can make it happen anytime by just down shiftting and letting the engine slow the truck down.

Any thoughts? by the way I do have about 4.5" of lift in the back so the u joints are under alot more of an angle then stock...worth considering?

Also: anyone had particularly good experience with a nissan dealership in the Portland area?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
As an update: I took it into Tonkin Nissan out in wilsonville. At first they said it is nothing, andthey could not hear anything. Then I demanded that they let me drive him around the block so he could hear it. took less then a minute before he said "ohh that noise, it sounds like the front drive shaft u joint. so I signed up for service this friday to get that done. I guess we will see where we go from there.

the noise is getting bad though! If I am going down hill, like in a parking garage, lettingthe engine do the breaking then it makes the terrible squeeking noise. and then when in reverse under load. but no noise under normal acceleration going forward.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't get a day off till Thursday, if I did damage to the R/P gears how much are we talking about to fix? I've been riding my R6 till I can get the truck issue resolved. Well I looked at the under side like 3 days before and could see a little bit of oil around the seal. Then all of the sudden when I'm taking my girlfriend home it starts the rattling. I guess it just blew out the rest of the way or something. Because when I looked at it that night when I got home there was oil all over the front of the axle coming from the seal.

Mine is an Automatic btw....

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
damn dude. That does not sound like a god deal. I have my apointment for this Friday and I plan on coming by around lunch to see progress and make sure they are checking seals at the rear end, front drive shafts and what else?

Are you still under warranty?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I highly doubt my truck is still under warranty since I bought it used and it'd been totaled out before I had it by being rear-ended. It drives fine and got it for well under book value so I'm happy with that. But yeeeea.....gotta get this issue resolved ASAP.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
keep us posted man. I am going into the dealer tomorrow AM for the u joints. With my luck though they probably are not prepared and will not have the parts on hand even though I have been scheduled for this since Teusday! figure I will get a full blown once over and get parts of the 45k tune up done while it is in for the day. most of it I can do myself, but since its there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You say you hear rattling as your truck slows to a stop. Do you hear any whining/grinding during acceleration?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You say you hear rattling as your truck slows to a stop. Do you hear any whining/grinding during acceleration?
I can't hear any abnormal noises during acceleration...only when I'm decelerating, why do you ask?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in the process of trying to find a axle from a NISMO frontier, any help with that would be great. I'm north of Shreveport/Bossier Louisiana. Been busy working and I really need to get this issue resolved since my fiance is now officially pregnant. The cheaper the better....

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hate reviving an old thread I made. But I figured I'd give you guys a conclusion to what was going on with my truck. Well I had the mechanic look it over thoroughly....turns out the rear u-joint is nearly completely shot....I'm having him replace both while he's got it in the shop. I've also have a leak on my pinion seal. The guy said it wasn't bad enough yet to really worry about. By next Thursday I should be back driving my truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts