Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Well, the inevitable has happen. Had a little rear-end collision snafu which smashed in the left corner of the rear bumper. This has effectively crimped the left rear portion of the truck and seems to have pushed in the bedside portion of the frame such that the tailgate won't open/shut.

Got an estimate to fix all for $2000 - no way. I don't care about the minimal cosmetic impact, I just want my tailgate to work.

Here are some pics:

1. View of crush-in (left rear): https://goo.gl/photos/8rCwaqHDZTjFBfZH9

2. View of the unaffected right rear side. Note that a healthy gap is plainly visible: https://goo.gl/photos/pLNoZHEHNAACvUQ37

3. View of affected left rear side: https://goo.gl/photos/n945qsS1puFFHU9L8

So my thought is try to remove the tailgate (not even sure if this is possible in current configuration), then the left taillight, and then smash in the bedside with a sledge to get the 2-3mm of clearance I need to operate the tailgate.

May have to remove the bumper if it or the plastic step is interfering with tailgate removal.

I guess my concerns are that I may not even be able to get the tailgate off due to the smashed-in status, but we'll see.

Any advice? I just want to operate the tailgate.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, sorry about that, I've fixed the links so they tell the story a little better now!

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might be able to undo the hinge bolts from underneath then open with the handle and vertically lift off
You may need to remove the bumper too before you can get to the bolts
Who's at fault? I'd get them to pay for it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at fault and carry no comprehensive -__- . So trying to take care of it myself maybe with some buddy help.

Eric

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Unbolt the bumper first and remove it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A sledge probably won't be enough force. My neighbor's low-mile car got rear ended so I bought it and did some shade tree body work using a chain and a piece of wood and a telephone pole. Pulled out the body enough so the "new" $100 ebay trunk lid worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for ya'lls advice! Looks like I'll probably be taking off the bumper which is fine. Roader, that was a sick repair, congrats! I may end up doing something like that...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm wondering if, once you get the tailgate off, you could use some blocks of wood and a porta-power (or even a scissors-type car jack) to push the bed-sides apart enough to gain clearance for the tailgate??

And you could probably do a version of the telephone-pole-body-pull on the bumper that's pushed in. You may be able to pull the corner of the bumper out to where it would be usable.........ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought about suggesting the wooden block and the jack which I still think is the best diy way but be carefull you don't push the otherside out
Could possibly be done carefully with the tailgate in place to give you a guide for how much needs to come out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts