Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I installed a set of AAL from 4x4parts I have had problems with my rear brakes hanging up...

I notice that after I installed the aal set the rear brakes were dragging, getting hot to the tough after short trips, large loss in gas mileage, and my e-brake needs to be re-adjusted (Used to work great, now it barely works at best)

I checked the lines and They do not seem to be stressed at all, I think that when I lowered the rear axle it put a lot of tension on the e-brake cables almost seizing them on... My stopping power seems a lot less than it used to be, I checked all of the rear brake lines and they are in good shape, abs still works great as well.

If I need to pull the rear drums what is the easiest way to pull them if the brakes are slightly stuck on? Should I take the manual adjusters and loosen them up a lot...?

Thanks in advance, Trey

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Subsribed... So your ebrake cable is not tensioned anymore?

·
Registered
509 Posts
does that model have a brake bias on the rear axle?
that may be keeping brake pressure on the pads even when your off the brake. need to adjust it suit the lift.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know if I have a rear brake bias controller anywhere on the truck, The ebrake pulls with little tension... FSM says 10-14 clicks should be tight, i go 20 and the truck still rolls....

·
Registered
509 Posts
have a look under, if its got one it connects to the axle so fairly easy to see.
i would adjust rear brakes, sounds like they have worn or backed off.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have a look under, if its got one it connects to the axle so fairly easy to see.
i would adjust rear brakes, sounds like they have worn or backed off.
Well, the strange part of that is they feel like they are stuck on all the time, when i jack the truck up (neutral) they wont turn, ebrake is off... when im on a hill the truck wont roll back like it should...

I am assuming something siezed them on, wore down the shoes, (ebrake is no longer effective) and when i drive every time i hit the brakes somewhat hard they are getting stuck on worse and worse, wearing the pads more making my ebrake even less effective.. Thats just what I have compiled by lifting up the truck and driving it...

·
Registered
509 Posts
thats what makes me think it could be the brake bais keeping pressure in the lines.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i doubt the lift is what caused the problem. from time to time the ebrake needs to be adjusted if you use it alot. were your brakes close to being shot anyways?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No the ebrake used to work great before the lift, the truck rolled back like it should.. Now the ebrake doesnt work and the rear brakes are stuck on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem fixed! I had to take the drums off, there is a little 90 degree swivel piece that puts the ebrake on, it was siezed in place, i soaked it in some rust penetrant and hit it with a crow bar and a hammer a bunch, works great now! Night and day difference.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
interesting. did the lift cause this malfunction, or was it a coincidence?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts