Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just got back from my scheduled oil change from jiffy lube. They checked the truck over and suggested that the rear diff fluid be changed as it appeared burnt. Truck has 26555 miles on it. I just put a hitch on but haven't used it yet. It was a rental before i bought it and had 24000 on it. There was obviously no hitch on it before i put it there so It hasn't towed anything heavy. The fluid is definatley much darker that the fluid in the front diff. After reading some post on here about people having thier rears replaced early I'm starting to get worried. There is a slight clunking sound when switching from D to R or vice versa. Should i just change out the fluid or should i be having the dealer check things out?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The c200k (8 bolt) tends to have some play in the diff. Yes, you may feel a clunk but most dealers say it is normal.

I would change the diff fluid yourself and see what it looks like when it is drained. I would see if any chunks fall out, if so the diff is screwed. You will find standard shavings but chunks are bad.

Also, both diffs rotate all the time so it should have equal wear/tear on both sets of fluid so if you change one, change them both.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured both diffs should be similar, but the front looks great along with the tranny fluid. Rear looks like crap so obviously some extra wear whcih was what made me worry along with the other posts about early failure. I've got another week of work before I'm off for the summer so i can check and drain it then. Hopefully all goes well.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
jiffy lube? Don't believe anything those guys say.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The c200k (8 bolt) tends to have some play in the diff. Yes, you may feel a clunk but most dealers say it is normal.

I would change the diff fluid yourself and see what it looks like when it is drained. I would see if any chunks fall out, if so the diff is screwed. You will find standard shavings but chunks are bad.

Also, both diffs rotate all the time so it should have equal wear/tear on both sets of fluid so if you change one, change them both.
Unless he's rolling around in 4wd all the time, the rear will have a ton more wear than the front. There is no drivetrain pressure in the front if it's freewheeling most of the time. Thats why the rear had twice as much fluid in it. It takes a beating.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I normaly wouldn't trust them but i watch him dip into the rear diff and then come directly over to me. I think he was surprise to see that much of a difference in fluid colour from front to back, as he asked me what I had been towing. He couldn't believe that I hadn't used the hitch yet. I'll double check this weekend, but am expecting the same results.
I definately want to get it fixed before I start pulling my camper around for the summer. Fingers crossed that there is not alot of metal in there floating around.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
don't worry about what the loosers in the pits in those types of places show you. its pretty much impossible to "burn" diff oil. you can change it out yourself in 30 minutes for about $30. once you get the cover off, look for chips in the ring gear or excessive shavings in the oil that you drain.

·
Registered
755 Posts
on second gens they have this awesome thing called a drain plug.

but seriously, nissan factory fluids are terrible. also if it was a rental, someone probably did burnouts everywhere. Change it and gets some good synthetic, like AMSOil. since you're in an area that gets salted roads, i would consider doing the diff breather mod to stop any contaminates getting in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts