Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i got my 15 Pro-4x, i have seen many people talk about doing the extended breath line for the rear diff. It seems every time i read about this, the person down the line has either a leaking diff or blown seals on it. Could it just be a coincidence or not?

What are everyones suggestions on this? i am not a person who submerges my diffs every week, but i am also not wanting to have a situation where my diff sucks in muddy water.

Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Absolutely worth it. Most of those complaining probably had already done the damage beforehand due to a clogged vent. Most people do not have issues (myself included). The earlier you do it the better. I did mine around 30k miles, I'm now close to 90k without any leaking.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
ive had mine done for about 60k miles. and i had my axle apart about 30k miles ago and i do now have a leak on my passenger side. its only a small amount of residue, but its still there.

i would say it helps for sure, but seals and bearings can and do go out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive had mine done for about 60k miles. and i had my axle apart about 30k miles ago and i do now have a leak on my passenger side. its only a small amount of residue, but its still there.

i would say it helps for sure, but seals and bearings can and do go out.
i am sitting on 30k miles right now and no problems, i just do not want to speed up the process of having those replaced. Thinking about waiting until warranty is over to do it. or not. not so sure...

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
It is just another poor design by Nissan that they never corrected.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just did mine today. I'm at ~19k miles.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Did mine at 800 miles... We'll know eventually if it made a difference. Been puddle jumping some flooded roads around here lately. Glad I got the stock axle vents extended above the water line...

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Most people just bought the parts and did it themselves.
The kits are probably pretty much the same.
I used AN fittings,-08 stainless braided line and a crank breather filter. Overkill except for extreme usage.

Attachments

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
You don't even need a new fitting, I just ripped off the top of the current one with a flat head, pulled the spring and plunger out, and then put the hose over the lip that was left. Then just clamp it on with a hose clamp. Total cost is less than $10, no need to buy the overpriced PRG kit...

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
You don't even need a new fitting, I just ripped off the top of the current one with a flat head, pulled the spring and plunger out, and then put the hose over the lip that was left. Then just clamp it on with a hose clamp. Total cost is less than $10, no need to buy the overpriced PRG kit...
This is true. The barb fitting I used had a nice inch or so long barb to slip the hose on to. I wasn't all the way confident on the length of the fitting as Glamisdude did, but, I tend to overthink things. I think the fitting was like $6.

Isn't there a toyota part # too? Seems like i read that it's a better fitting?
there is, though I used the Nissan one. Screwed right in place of the OEM one way valve.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't there a toyota part # too? Seems like i read that it's a better fitting?
I have not seen that one, i saw an ARB one that was for a toyota and it was pretty nice. Combined all 3 breathers in one. Front and rear diffs a well as transfer case. Those sit high enough so would only do the rear. But its too expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts