Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone change out the bulbs to leds on the rear cargo bed lights?

wHICH bulbs r there?
How the hell do u take that thing apart?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
see the two plastic caps above the back window on the inside? pop them off and there are two 8 or 10mm nuts that hold the light down, good luck.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I switched them out to LEDs in my dad's Titan a while ago. Not 100% positive, but I bet they are just 194's.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just replaced my taillights and 3rd brake with led. I thought it was weird that the back up lights and cab lights remained incandesant untill I found out that LED'S do not produce as much light as old school bulbs. They look brighter due to the color but the actual light output is much less.
As Automotive LED evolves this may get better but for now if you need the light to see things stick with what you have.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think with LED's you get more output per watt but it is possible that a single LED produces less light than a single incandescent. My wife's car has incandescent tail lights but LED brake lights and those suckers are BRIGHT. Of course there are probably 50 of them in each tail light.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Hey guys im gonna bring this old thread back up because I got two led bulbs just to try out for the cargo lights. I got the assembly off, but for the life of my I can get the thing out to change in the new bulb without feeling like Im going to break it. Anyone know how? Here is a pic of it. Is it a twist deal or what? Ive tried everything. I read one thread where someone said they changed them and thats why I got the bulbs, but I cant seem to find that thread again. Heres a pic.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I found on here awhile ago that they are supposedly 921 bulbs.

You need an 8MM DEEP socket.

5 speed I know exactly what you are talking about. I too had the same problem that the sockets didn't seem like they wanted to turn or pull...I even had my wife look at it because I was getting so frustrated and I finally gave up put the damn thing back in. I was told they turned by someone on here, but they sure didn't seem to turn! I've got an appointment at the dealer next thursday and I'll ask if we don't find out by then....not that the stupid dealer will know either...

I've yet to install mine obviously in my bed lights, but I have put some V-led SMD 19 LED 921 in my reverse lights and they are definitely way brighter that stock! You want 5K..white color. 6K= blueish tint. They make the incandescents look kind of brownish in comparison.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey guys im gonna bring this old thread back up because I got two led bulbs just to try out for the cargo lights. I got the assembly off, but for the life of my I can get the thing out to change in the new bulb without feeling like Im going to break it. Anyone know how? Here is a pic of it. Is it a twist deal or what? Ive tried everything. I read one thread where someone said they changed them and thats why I got the bulbs, but I cant seem to find that thread again. Heres a pic.
They twist out - not easily if they have never been removed since new, but they do twist out.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
... get the thing out to change in the new bulb without feeling like Im going to break it.
^I've used pliers on em' before... tried SMD LEDs in several sizes back there.. Just appeared brighter.

G/L.

Add/Edit:
Stock 921s throw more usable light than this set-up!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just tried it with an adjustable wrench and they twisted right off no problem! It has sort of a "click" feeling...not much torque needed with the wrench! Thanks! I should have re-tried this a long time ago! Double check them before you close it back up...polarity matters.

I originally picked up a cheap set off of amazon...and I agree they definitely are not any brighter than the stock...just a different color. I put that set of nokia cheapie ones in my bed lights for now. I'll upgrade later. BUT I still have to recommend the v-led brand as much brighter than stock. I understand the difference between usable light and brightness(Glare). The "usable" light is maybe 1.5-2X brighter than stock...but when someone directly viewing me backing up the direct "glare" is MUCH brighter than stock. I'm hoping that the direct view "glare" keeps someone at bay whilst I back up out of a parking lot etc. reducing the risk of a fender-bender!? Maybe? Just a theory!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
i got the vled brand in there and they are significant brighter than stock IMO

·
Banned
94 Posts
A bit off topic.

My old 98 doesn't have bed lights. Has anyone used strip leds or neon light tubes under the bed rails to light up the bed? I am just wondering how well it would work to light up the cargo area.

·
Registered
337 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts