Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do fellas? My name is Joe and I'm doing some work in my cousins 2008 Frontier to get ready for state inspection. His ABS light is on, so I immediately
start to bleed the brakes. When I got to the left rear caliper I discovered he was missing the lower caliper bracket bolt. No big deal. We'll just get a new one... But no. We won't get a new one because nobody has them. Only the front caliper bracket bolt. Called Nissan. Parts guy had to call somebody and then called me back and told me it's a special order? He couldn't even tell, or wouldn't tell me, what size/thread pitch it was so I could get my own bolt. Just wondering if someone here knows the correct diameter and thread pitch of the rear caliper bracket bolts? I tried an M12 x 1.25 x 40mm from the hardware store. Thought it would work but it wouldn't thread in. I don't have calipers to check the diameter of the mounting hole. That's why I'm appealing to you all. I just find it bizarre I can get the front caliper bracket bolts at any parts store but not the rear?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I can find them for the front no problem. Take one out of the front caliper and see if it works. If it does then rock auto has them. Or take the other one out and bring it to an auto or hardware store. They will have one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can find them for the front no problem. Take one out of the front caliper and see if it works. If it does then rock auto has them. Or take the other one out and bring it to an auto or hardware store. They will have one.

Yup. That was on the list. But O'Reilly's said the front bracket bolts are 14mm. I already knew that's too big for the rear bracket holes, so I didn't bother to try it yet. The front calipers are dual pistons. Rear calipers are single piston. I guess that's why they use a bigger bracket bolt for the front. Too dark to mess with it anymore tonight and it's snowing anyway. Tomorrow I'll pull one of the front bolts and just verify they are different sizes. I did grab another M12 bolt with less fine thread pitch. I'm going to try that as well because I'm positive it's a 12mm diameter bolt. If none of that works I'll just have to order the rear bolts from Nissan. I just can't wrap my head around why a rear caliper bracket bolt needs to be a special order? Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
are you talking about the mounting bracket bolt or the bolt that goes into the slide pin?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. Bracket Bolt. Not slide pins. Everybody's got the front bolts. The rear have to be special ordered. I grabbed another M12 bolt with a coarser thread pitch(1.5). I'm gonna try that tomorrow. If no joy I'll have to order a $9 rear bracket bolt. Stupid. If it were my vehicle, I would just pull the bracket off and tap it for the bolt I already bought and be done with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright. It is indeed a 12mm bolt. I broke loose the upper bracket bolt and compared it to my 8.8 grade M12x 1.5(I could not get a 10.9 grade bolt locally). The distance between the threads was the same, but they were cut deeper than the original flange bolt. It threaded in but was going in too hard, so I backed it out and had a look see. It was rounding off the threads a bit, but I could see no damage to threads in the mounting hole. I took the one original bolt to see if it would thread in and it did just fine. So, I didn't screw up the threads of the bracket hole. Still, rather than force the bolt in any farther, I decided to take up the space with washers and tightened it down. That will hold it until I order new bolts from the dealer. It is still highly irritating that you can get front bracket bolts no problem, but you have to special order the rear? WTF? Why? Its a simple metric flange bolt. Your only other option is to buy a complete rear caliper from Rock Auto. That was the only place I found that would include the mounting bolts for the rear brackets.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Their feeding you a load of ****, it just a regular metric bolt,just had mine out today replacing park brake shoes, it took an 18mm socket so im guessing 14mm, pull one and take it to an ace hardware they'll have one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Their feeding you a load of ****, it just a regular metric bolt,just had mine out today replacing park brake shoes, it took an 18mm socket so im guessing 14mm, pull one and take it to an ace hardware they'll have one.
Nope. It is a 12mm bolt. Not a 14mm. Already pulled one and measured it. The front bolts are supposedly 14mm. But I wasn't about to pull one to verify. Not my vehicle, so I don't care enough to check that they're bigger in the front. I went to the hardware store too and I could not get a 10.9 grade M12 x 1.50 x 45mm flange bolt. 8.8 grade, yes. 10.9 no. I found it on line. But not locally. Even online I was limited to where I could get it. I went to Aubuchon, HD, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Napa. Every single one told me only the front bracket bolts are available. Even if I bought brand new calipers I wouldn't get the rear mounting bolts. Rock Auto is a different story. You can get the rear bolts when you buy a new caliper through them. The best I could find at Aubuchons was an 8.8 M12 x 1.50. Not a good long term solution because once they seize you'll never get it out without stretching and snapping the bolt. Anyway, she's all sorted now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just to pass this on. Dorman is the one site that actually listed the dimensions of the front bracket bolts. The diameter of the front bolts is .51 inches, which converts to 13mm. 12mm is .47 inches. So, they are indeed bigger in the front than back. Key Nissan does not have those rear bolts in stock. The parts guy had to call HQ, or somebody, just to get a part number for them and called me back and said it's a special order.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Can you take the bolt from the right rear and measure that?
This.
12mm x 1.25mm is NOT a common size - a fine thread. 12mm x 1.50mm and 12mm x 1.75mm are more common.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This.
12mm x 1.25mm is NOT a common size - a fine thread. 12mm x 1.50mm and 12mm x 1.75mm are more common.
The thread pitch is not 1.25. I was told it was, but it's not. The rear bolt is an M12 x 1.50 x 45 mm grade 10.9 flange bolt. I got the correct size bolt, but its a hex bolt. Not a flange bolt. It seems that it has to be a flange bolt. It does not like the hex bolt even though it's 1.50 fine threaded 12mm bolt.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Maybe the bolt was left out because the threaded female part was buggered up, you might need to try a tap.

Or could you use a longer bolt and a nut? We'd like to see some good photos of each side of the truck showing good side and trouble side.

I'd be surprised if ace Hardware didn't have a flanged bolt, but you might need to try online.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Maybe the bolt was left out because the threaded female part was buggered up, you might need to try a tap.

Or could you use a longer bolt and a nut? We'd like to see some good photos of each side of the truck showing good side and trouble side.

I'd be surprised if ace Hardware didn't have a flanged bolt, but you might need to try online.
It's all sorted now. The real issue I had was finding that size/thread pitch in a grade 10.9 flange bolt. Ace might have it, but Home Depot and Aubuchons don't carry it. And that is most likely because it is an automotive flange bolt. Basically it's a frame bolt. I had to settle for 8.8 grade hex bolt and the only difference, other than it's a hex bolt, is the depth of the thread cut on the hex bolt is deeper than the original flange bolt. It went in but it wanted to mash the top of the bolt threads as it went in. When I backed it out I expected the bracket threads would be toast. But they were fine. I threaded one of the other original bolts in just to verify I didn't screw the threads up in the bracket. They were fine. The old flange bolt went in no trouble. I just shook my head and figured it wanted a flange bolt with a shallower thread depth. I know that sounds weird, but I couldn't think of any other reason for the hex bolt to thread in hard. I checked the diameter of both bolts and the distance between the threads. They were identical other than the depth of the thread cut and the grade. The thing that irritated me highly, was the fact that I can buy the front bracket bolts at any parts store, but not the rear? You just can't buy them unless you buy a complete caliper that comes with them. And Rock Auto was the only aftermarket store I found that would include the rear mounting bolts. And I never did get a straight answer why they will not sell those rear mounting bolts? Makes no damn sense. There is no sane need of having different size bracket bolts anyway. They could have used the same sized bolt front and back. When Oreillys looked up the front bolts they told me it was 14mm. The only problem with that is Dorman lists the diameter of the front bolts as .51 inches. That's 13mm?? Not 14mm! I don't know. Weirdness all the way around.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just had them off on my 2017 w/7,000 miles. mine were regular course thread 12mm stainless steel with washer no flange, no 10.9.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just had them off on my 2017 w/7,000 miles. mine were regular course thread 12mm stainless steel with washer no flange, no 10.9.
Interesting. Are they the same size both front and back? Im an SAE guy. My own truck is a Dakota and that damn thing has both SAE and metric bolts. The break lines are M10 din/iso flares, or whatever they call them. Now you've got me wondering if I need glasses. I'm wondering if I should tried a 1.75 thread? Anyway, now I'm on to diagnosing the ABS light. Code came back for front left wheel sensor. Replaced with a brand new one and still says it's bad. I guess I should test the pig tail and go from there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No idea, I only am working on the back for greasy parking brake shoes.Here in az Ace hardware has best selection of hardware, take a bolt with you and they have a test rack with all bolt thread sizes so you can just test screw your bolt in sample treads until you find the right one.I just got the new Thinkcar scanner,tests and reads all codes and sensors .haven't played with it much yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts