Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck was rear ended at slow speed (meh, 5+ mph) as I was making a free right turn
at an intersection. The guy has no insurance and so far, he has been promising that he
will pay for the bumper's replacement.

The body shop quoted $750. I think an aftermarket chrome bumper is a reasonable
replacement which seems to be trending just below $300.

If I can get the guy to actually come up with the cash, I think I can replace it myself
and/or with the help of an unemployed nephew looking for a free lunch.

I crawled underneath and had a peek and it seems pretty straight forward, less than
dozen fasteners. I would need to redrill for the trailer light connector as I had
relocated it up next to the license.

Might there be any other hidden parts I should be alert to such as bumper support bars
etc which may have been sacrificial and designed to absorb a low speed, inattentive
love tap?

If I push too hard, I'm thinking the guy might bail and I end up with zero. But to his
credit so far, he has called me 3x asking how we can pool our resources to get the
bumper replaced. How I feel about someone who is not carrying insurance is another
issue right now.

The truck is not perfect and it's not a garage queen. Just want an acceptable and decent
repair for a 2011 with 58k.

thanks in advance for your eyes and collective knowledge, r-

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
By the look of that, I doubt there is any additional damage... unless the bumper flexed into the corner of the bed. Since your truck is a 4X4, have you considered buying a stronger bumper that will offer you better protection?

The stock bumper is so flexible that it can actually flex into the bed corners if you drag it on anything. If you can get him to pay what the body shop estimate says or compromise somewhere near that, you can just about pay for a Shrockworks rear bumper that will take a hit like that in stride.

2005-2016 Frontier Rear Bumper with Integrated Receiver Hitch

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, BCB. wow that bumper you linked sure hits the spot...and pocketbook, yet
I keep clicking the photos even though my wallet says 'new roof, first'. i'm may simply
take the cash now and continue to wear the dinged bumper while I can afford a quality
replacement.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Brian is right. Stock bumpers are awful. My daughter backed into a telephone pole right at the corner of the driveway. So like yours it was barely 10mph. Still bent the bumper in and under, gouged and scratched the quarterpanel as well as actually flexing the panel in. Super cheap bumpers. Pulled mine out with a come-a-long and a big tree.

Looking back, aftermarket is best but I understand the money issue for the other guy. Junkyard maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
Craigslist it cant hurt to look or I'd even check offer up and 5mile. Me I just couldn't stand looking at the bumper like that on the pickup anymore it was 4 19mm bolts and unhooking the lights pulls right out from frame unless your just doing face. Before I got the same Shrock from another member here I was hit 3times in the butt twice in the past 3yrs driving once in a parking lot. Instead of going no fault on the first(no insurance)and last(guy left) I just picked them up off Craigslist for a $80 an 100 their always listed on there I've seen as low as $50 up to $300

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Craigslist it cant hurt to look....
a good idea which i didn't think of due to the intense trauma of the accident
(or I was hungry). I'll take a look now

on a separate note, about 6 months ago, I missed out on new Shrockworks skids
(tranny, oil, transfer) on CR for $350. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
In an impact something takes the impact so if you have a bumper that doesn't bend then the frame rails will get tweaked. The energy in this case was absorbed by the bumper and for some the panel as well. I'll take that over frame damage if I had to choose.
They are called crumple zones for a reason.

Clint

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought you might find it of interest that the guy in the dent n scratched Jimmy
who rear ended my truck called me to arrange a meet. He told me he would
be riding his Harley (sunny and warm). I prepared and typed a statement of
resolution releasing him from any further claim. In return he gave me $300.

I thanked him and said that I appreciated his follow up and taking responsibility,
to which he replied, "hey, we shook on it, didn't we? I said I would pay up."

So now I just need to read up more on ebay/amazon replacement bumper
or save up a few more dollars for something with the sturdiness of a railroad
tie.

thanks for your suggestions and insights !

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I would just take the money from him right away before he disappears, but did you call the police to make a report?

That will make him stick around for fear of a judgement (possibly)

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
my feelings is if he can afford a harley, he can afford insurance or afford to make someone whole that he hits. When a person chooses to drive without insurance they're accepting the liability to pay for an accident. My best to you and hope you come out ahread, or at least not behind.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would just take the money from him right away before he disappears, but did you call the police to make a report?
That will make him stick around for fear of a judgement (possibly)
Seattle, WA. law enforcement isn't going to respond to a traffic accident given the low damage.

I met the guy and he paid me $300.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just saw your post glad everything worked out for you raymond~ funny just took at craiglist b4 coming here and saw a couple of oem's about the $150 range if you can get your hands on one of those just nearer to you you'd even get paid for your time good luck

·
Registered
675 Posts
raymond~ just wanted to see how you made out with replacing your bumper I saw this today and just reminded me of your bumper

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/6128591892.html

Nissan Frontier 2005 - 2017 Bumpers - $250 (Richardson)
image 1 of 3
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Arapaho at 75

(google map)

make / manufacturer: Nissan Frontier
model name / number: Frontier 2005 - 2017
We are Security Company, Buying new 2017 Nissan Frontiers and Upgrade the BUMPERS,

Selling the original 2017 Nissan Frontier bumpers brand new for only $250
Price is negotiable and we have up to 5 in stock

If you're interested call me show contact info

Two one four - Three Zero Four - One Two Three Four

·
Registered
741 Posts
Seattle, WA. law enforcement isn't going to respond to a traffic accident given the low damage.

I met the guy and he paid me $300.
Depends. If you called and said "no insurance" unless there's a school shooting going on somewhere they'd show up to make a report and likely cite the guy as well.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts