Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced my front brakes twice within the lat 6 months and my rotors once. I just bought new calipers, rotors, and brake pads today to replace them. I was told my front calipers are not releasing causing them to constantly rub and wear down faster. I also think my rear brakes aren't working because they pads and rotors look brand new almost. I use a trailer for work so 4-5 days a week I'm pulling a trailer about 6-7 hours a day. I've tried bleeding the brakes before and it doesn't seem to help. What could be causing the rear brakes to not engage?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've replaced my front brakes twice within the lat 6 months and my rotors once. I just bought new calipers, rotors, and brake pads today to replace them. I was told my front calipers are not releasing causing them to constantly rub and wear down faster. I also think my rear brakes aren't working because they pads and rotors look brand new almost. I use a trailer for work so 4-5 days a week I'm pulling a trailer about 6-7 hours a day. I've tried bleeding the brakes before and it doesn't seem to help. What could be causing the rear brakes to not engage?
Have you replaced the wheel cylinders?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Actually front brakes do most of the braking.

What could be causing the rear brakes to not engage?
1. No hydraulic pressure to the rears
2. Rear brakes way out of adjustment (do manual adjustment)

I've replaced my front brakes twice within the last 6 months and my rotors once. I just bought new calipers, rotors, and brake pads today to replace them. I was told my front calipers are not releasing causing them to constantly rub and wear down faster.
You obviously have something wrong with the front calipers or the master cylinder. See a mechanic or replace both calipers and master cylinder, and bleed hydraulics at all four.

Reactions: t3chdreamz

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
He doesn't have wheel cylinders nor a manual adjustment (except for the parking brake); second generations have rear disc brakes with a "hat-style" design...a disc rotor with pads and calipers for the hydraulic brakes and cable-operated shoes that use the inside of the rotor hub for a drum to serve as the parking brake. Rear pads or shoes rarely wear on Nissan pick-up trucks; I had a 97 Hardbody and an 03 Frontier, both with drum brakes, that still had at least 50% of their lining left at 200,000 miles. Best thing to do would be to jack up the rear, put it in neutral and spin the wheels while somebody applies the brake to see if the wheels stop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts