Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined today to get help. Last Nissan assy in USA I'll ever own again. That said had rear end differential bearings Korean made go out/ Suppose to have been Japan made. Cutting corners . Now I am changing my axle wheel bearing cannot find any you tube help. Plus even on Nissan USA illustrator shows slightly different build. Parts break down. Once got snap ring thought I could lock it back in housing and slide hammer shaft out exposing this wheel bearing. No luck I guess I need hyd. Press. Help help. Advice. Use love Nissan/Datsun QC gone way down.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No ****, from reading on here it sounds like Nissan doesn't even mess with repairs, just replace with whole new axle.I always thought Nissan was an OK vehicle.Was warned that Quality is wayyy down this last decade, no I'm beginning to wonder if I should have heeded the warnings.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Would help if we had some information on the vehicle. Year, body style, trim designation, engine, trans, rear axle type, 2 or 4 wheel drive...is all helpful when it comes to answer someone's questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all. This is the special tool and image of my 09' frontier apparently Tacoma's, etc have same design flaw.... No diy on this axle wheel bearing. Should have done my due diligence on this project. If your more inquizative look up this tool -Nissan Toyota special axle tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does'nt look anything like the special tools they show in the svc manual for 2016. Is it a model year specific tool.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Not sure what you are asking. I replaced the wheel bearing on my truck. Need to cut out the retainer ring and then the bearing race. Use the cut race flipped upside down as a driver for the new bearing. Used a big pipe to pound the new bearing on.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Nissan dealers have a really nice...and really expensive...Kent-Moore tool to do these and other similar axle bearings. It lets you do all of the press work right on the bench and everything comes apart and goes together nice and smooth! They force-shipped the tools to dealers back in the early 2000's to do a recall on the Frontiers. The ABS sensors weren't sealing and could let water get in and corrode the axle bearings. One time I priced it just for my own sake of knowing and it was over $1000!.. Too rich for my tool box!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm with Nissan4life, usually you can rig up something to get around "Special tools".But it sure helps to get idea's from others who have already done battle.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought a M226 E-Locker a while back and I'm replacing all of the seals and bearing, to swap the C200 axle out.

This is how I removed the bearing retainer.
I used a Big A$$ chisel and a Big A$$ hammer, so I skipped step 10. I placed the chisel in 4 equal locations on the retainer(12 - 3 - 6 - & 9 O-clock positions). Chiseled about 1/8" depth and the retainer slide off the axle shaft.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To install the new seals, bearings and retainers, use a section of pipe(steel tubing) that will fit over the axle shaft to drive the retainer in place.

Step 5 gives the pipe(steel tubing) size to fabricate the tool.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
No ****, from reading on here it sounds like Nissan doesn't even mess with repairs, just replace with whole new axle.I always thought Nissan was an OK vehicle.Was warned that Quality is wayyy down this last decade, no I'm beginning to wonder if I should have heeded the warnings.
If it's warranty work, there is extra labor replacing the seal/bearing, so, it's better for the dealer to just stab a new axle assembly in rather than use more labor and risk the tech doing something wrong. I'm sure this has translated to no warranty work as well as the tech prefer to just yank and stab, no mess around, get their pay and move on to the next job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought I wrote a post on this but can't find it.

It's not that hard to do. You do need a press as you need to press the bearing to 10 tons and the retaining ring to 10 tons. Which diff do you have? the M266 or the C200. The direction above are for the other diff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts