Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Crew Cab
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
As I posted earlier this year I purchased a 2019 Frontier Pro4X, and recently had my first service done in July by a 3rd party since I am 2.5 hours away from the nearest Nissan Place. This 3rd party noticed that my rear axel was weeping, and told me to book it in with Nissan as it was an item covered by warranty.
I took it to my nearest dealership/ mechanic and they confirmed, that it was weeping, the seal went and that the rear axel needs to be replaced as they cant just replace the seal.
Told me it would be a month for parts, and that they would call me to book an appointment once the parts come in. Follow up a month later, got told they never ordered the parts, as warranty denied the fix. Stating that it should have been caught/ cleaned during the service. Thing is that the 3rd party service, is the first service I have had done since I bought the vehicle in March where they caught the weeping. In the process of talking to the warranty department, just wondering if any one else has had similar issues.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Seems to be pretty common with these. The rear end on mine was replaced under warranty by original owner. I'm the second owner. The Nissan breathers don't work correctly and corrode quickly. Someone will immediately jump on here and say it's not common, but then five other people will talk about having their rear ends replaced under warranty. They put out a TSB a long time ago that defined the difference between seepage and leak, I have a feeling that might be what's getting you.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Crew Cab
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems to be pretty common with these. The rear end on mine was replaced under warranty by original owner. I'm the second owner. The Nissan breathers don't work correctly and corrode quickly. Someone will immediately jump on here and say it's not common, but then five other people will talk about having their rear ends replaced under warranty. They put out a TSB a long time ago that defined the difference between seepage and leak, I have a feeling that might be what's getting you.
I should note that I bought it straight from a Nissan Dealership, and was able to find out that it was a Enterprise rental vehicle prior to that. So I am trying to now fight/figure out with warranty to get it fixed, as I currently don't have an extra $1400 to put into the truck, and would like to get the issue fixed before it comes a major issue and I'm forced to go to a 3rd party since I live rural and well its going to snow sooner then later. Ordering the parts and fixing it my self are not an option as my vehicle knowledge goes about as far, as checking the oil, filling the washer fluid aka very basic.
I did call the warranty number this morning, and it turns out that I was never registered as the owner of this vehicle, when I purchased it. So I had to go to nissan.ca and register as the owner of the vehicle. Still trying figure out how I get warranty to cover this before the general warranty runs out Dec 31 2021.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,149 Posts
i would keep calling Nissan and bugging them than, Nissan hq. get them to say yes or no and than go the dealer once big Nissan says yes

·
Registered
372 Posts
What seal is leaking, outer axle or pinion seal? What may be happening is that the dealer asked to replace the complete axle and Nissan said no. Nissan probably wants them to replace the seal and related parts not the assembly.
Nissan doesn't rebuild them, they replace the whole assembly. I don't know why.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I should note that I bought it straight from a Nissan Dealership, and was able to find out that it was a Enterprise rental vehicle prior to that. So I am trying to now fight/figure out with warranty to get it fixed, as I currently don't have an extra $1400 to put into the truck, and would like to get the issue fixed before it comes a major issue and I'm forced to go to a 3rd party since I live rural and well its going to snow sooner then later. Ordering the parts and fixing it my self are not an option as my vehicle knowledge goes about as far, as checking the oil, filling the washer fluid aka very basic.
I did call the warranty number this morning, and it turns out that I was never registered as the owner of this vehicle, when I purchased it. So I had to go to nissan.ca and register as the owner of the vehicle. Still trying figure out how I get warranty to cover this before the general warranty runs out Dec 31 2021.
You purchased in March from a Nissan dealer. That dealer forgot to do the warranty transfer. You took your truck in for scheduled maintenance by a third party repair facility - who spotted the problem. You then went to the Nissan dealer you bought the truck from and are now getting the run around.

Raise it with Nissan Canada and make sure you have a paper trail such as email to back up phone calls etc. If Nissan Canada or the dealer does not make it right, there is snall claims court, CBC Marketplace, local / regional consumer watchdog / on your side TV shows etc.

Unless you bought your truck on an as is basis, the dealer had an obligation to check it over and ensure it was fit for the purpose. That is one of tge reasons some people buy from a dealer and pay more to avoid as is or private sale.

There is also Better Business Bureau for what its worth.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I do not understand the facts of this case. The axle is weeping. You bought the truck used; but it comes with 3 yr 36k mile warranty. Why is Nissan not honoring the warranty?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
If you are currently driving it - at least don't let it run so low on fluid that you have a catastrophic failure - keep filling that puppy until you figure out the fix.
Does it have any symptoms besides weeping a bit of oil?
Where is the leak?
Pictures worth 1000 words

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
If you are beyond the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty, the burden of the fix is on you.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4 / More details in About us.
8 Posts
Just a thought..

At a very worst case scenario, take it to a reputable shop or the dealer again have it fixed as needed and pay for it.. The worst part is over as far as any additional issues or possible damage. Now fight with the paperwork of who you're going to send the bill to and re-collect your funds whether through manageable negotiations that pan out and or litigation in small claims court.

SIDE NOTE: If you're running oversized tires and or interested in adding new gearing ring-set or a locker if not equipped with the E-Locker. While they're in there would be a keen time to add gears or said locker if in your budget too. Of course they may claim ONLY covering OE parts being replaced might be the excuse of continued denial, They should pay for a portion of it that would normally be their responsibility.

You should have a Service Advisor at the dealership that's not exactly a buy the book/numbers guy and has a penchant for being a "Gearhead" or "Car-guy/gal" (we exist ; ) ..) who can better guide you on the what if's/not's you can get away with for the repair. if they tell you they would only over you for OE parts. Great, Nissan makes Ring gear sets of different gears and there are places they're sold outside of dealers.

If it is indeed a cause of the vent failing, there are again both far better aftermarket solutions for this and even a handful of decent DIY that can be performed on a minimal amount of tools and spare parts from a local auto-parts outlet in a driveway.

- Adrienne

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Check fluid level. Also, make sure there are no issues at the axle seals.

Was your truck CPO/Certified Pre-Owned?

Might this be covered by the 5yr/60k drivetrain warranty?

·
Registered
148 Posts
You purchased in March from a Nissan dealer. That dealer forgot to do the warranty transfer. You took your truck in for scheduled maintenance by a third party repair facility - who spotted the problem. You then went to the Nissan dealer you bought the truck from and are now getting the run around.

Raise it with Nissan Canada and make sure you have a paper trail such as email to back up phone calls etc. If Nissan Canada or the dealer does not make it right, there is snall claims court, CBC Marketplace, local / regional consumer watchdog / on your side TV shows etc.

Unless you bought your truck on an as is basis, the dealer had an obligation to check it over and ensure it was fit for the purpose. That is one of tge reasons some people buy from a dealer and pay more to avoid as is or private sale.
Things may be different in Canada, but in the US the manufacture warranty (3yr. B-to-B, 5yr pwr. train, 8 yr. federal emissions, etc..) follows the vehicle and is tracked by the vin number. There should not be any transfer of warranty. So i would say as long as its under warranty, the dealer (any Nissan dealer) has the obligation to check and fix it. As long as it is approved, which is what the OP is having issues with.

I think this boils down to the seep vs leak controversy that many on this site have encountered with Nissan. Sounds like the dealer was acting right by agreeing with the problem and submitting the claim to Nissan to be fixed. Nissan later denied it and the dealer is now looking like the bad guy because Nissan denied it after they said it would be fixed. Only so much a dealer can do if Nissan won't honor their warranty.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Things may be different in Canada, but in the US the manufacture warranty (3yr. B-to-B, 5yr pwr. train, 8 yr. federal emissions, etc..) follows the vehicle and is tracked by the vin number. There should not be any transfer of warranty. So i would say as long as its under warranty, the dealer (any Nissan dealer) has the obligation to check and fix it. As long as it is approved, which is what the OP is having issues with.

I think this boils down to the seep vs leak controversy that many on this site have encountered with Nissan. Sounds like the dealer was acting right by agreeing with the problem and submitting the claim to Nissan to be fixed. Nissan later denied it and the dealer is now looking like the bad guy because Nissan denied it after they said it would be fixed. Only so much a dealer can do if Nissan won't honor their warranty.
I think it’s probably the same warranty wise that it was a failure to register the name of the new owner, but the warranty follows. In other words, easily remedied and the OP has attended to that.

Hard to say whether Nissan is the bad guy or the dealer. Time will tell.

Possibly replacement axles are in short supply and Nissan is foot dragging.

·
Registered
2019 Pro 4x Crew, in progress...
159 Posts
Is it on the rear differential seal? My 2019 also has what Nissan is calling "Seepage" (read BS, slow leak). Is it leaving oil or fluid on the ground?

·
Registered
22 Posts
He mentioned that the vehicle used to be an Enterprise rental vehicle. Not sure about in Canada, but in the US that usually means there is no warranty coverage. A few years ago, I was looking at a used vehicle from Carmax that was only a year old and still had more than half of the the allowed mileage left. I got the VIN and went to the dealership to see what warranty coverage it would have (didn't want to pay Carmax's premium for their warranty) and was told it was previously a fleet vehicle and the factory warrant does not extend to fleet and rental vehicles. Ended up not buying it because of this and the fact that it was priced $3000 over book and Carmax doesn't haggle on the price. I was really surprised how they stick to that. They let me walk when I refused to pay that price. Not sure if you bought an extended warranty from the dealership, if so that is a different matter as that is a third party warranty, not from Nissan directly. If you did buy one and there is a disclaimer that they too won't cover fleet/rental vehicles, I would say that the dealership owes you money because they never should have offered the warranty if it is not eligible. Do you still have the Malroni (window sticker) that shows how it's being sold (as is or limited warranty). If they offered it with warranty coverage and you can prove it, if you are still within that coverage period, they don't have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
He mentioned that the vehicle used to be an Enterprise rental vehicle. Not sure about in Canada, but in the US that usually means there is no warranty coverage. A few years ago, I was looking at a used vehicle from Carmax that was only a year old and still had more than half of the the allowed mileage left. I got the VIN and went to the dealership to see what warranty coverage it would have (didn't want to pay Carmax's premium for their warranty) and was told it was previously a fleet vehicle and the factory warrant does not extend to fleet and rental vehicles. Ended up not buying it because of this and the fact that it was priced $3000 over book and Carmax doesn't haggle on the price. I was really surprised how they stick to that. They let me walk when I refused to pay that price. Not sure if you bought an extended warranty from the dealership, if so that is a different matter as that is a third party warranty, not from Nissan directly. If you did buy one and there is a disclaimer that they too won't cover fleet/rental vehicles, I would say that the dealership owes you money because they never should have offered the warranty if it is not eligible. Do you still have the Malroni (window sticker) that shows how it's being sold (as is or limited warranty). If they offered it with warranty coverage and you can prove it, if you are still within that coverage period, they don't have a leg to stand on.
Never heard that one before. But I have bought two rental and fleet vehicles from Carmax. A 2014 Sonata with 10K miles and a 2017 Frontier with 7K miles. Both have factory warranty in full force, and have had local Hyundai and Nissan dealer's do a warranty fix with no issues. Also recieve recall notice and info from both corporate Hyundai and nissan. I think they were blowing smoke up your *** because you were gonna buy a car thru Carmax instead of the dealership.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
For 'peace-of-mind seeking' folks, buying a used CPO from Nissan extends the drivetrain warranty out to 6yrs/100k, IIRC. Though, I'm uncertain as to whether this is still the current corporate protocol.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The Frontier has a CPO sticker in driver door jam next to tire loading sticker, but nissan dealer didn't mention any extended benefits, but then I didn't ask. I'll keep this in mind if I ever need to go to the dealer again in the next couple of years.thx for info

1 - 20 of 21 Posts