·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you make it, they will come. :cool:

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
153 Posts
There is no one way valve on the front diff. Just a rubber hose that runs up by the air filter housing and vents to atmosphere. Seems like the valve may not be all that necessary

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CC, Midnight edition, white
58 Posts
I am no mechanic. Does a normal SUV like a Rogue or CR-V have something different than a stock Frontier re: the axle vent? I have owned a lot of different vehicles and I had never been told I needed to route surgical tubing into a tail lamp housing until I got a Frontier.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am no mechanic. Does a normal SUV like a Rogue or CR-V have something different than a stock Frontier re: the axle vent? I have owned a lot of different vehicles and I had never been told I needed to route surgical tubing into a tail lamp housing until I got a Frontier.
those vehicles don't have solid axles on them. i guess they are more like the front end as in the diff doesn't move up and down only the cv axles do.

i'm pretty sure the reason for an axle vent on solid axles is because of the movement of the axle up and down and twisting and turning and all that with the suspension.

lots of vehicles that have solid axles front and rear have an axle vent on both axles.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
102 Posts
I know what you mean. I actually heard it from the Titan forums when I had my 1st Gen Titan. I have never heard of people having issues with rear axles before I had a Titan. Now we have the Frontier, and its posted here too.
Other Trucks do have hoses off the axles, but its just a length of hose with the same type valve we have on the end of it, not a free flow vent system like what our front axle has apparently.

As long as your not axle deep in water of muck, I don't see why you would need this mod. Its one of those, may do something, may do nothing scenarios.

Still doesn't explain though why people WITH the mod still have axle seal failures. All this stuff was happening on early year trucks mainly pre 2012 or so from what I have read. So might have been crappy seals in earlier trucks and since been upgraded.

Seems no one knows. Very difficult to get info too. Dana did email me back with a number to call. When I get a chance will try calling and see what they say...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I know what you mean. I actually heard it from the Titan forums when I had my 1st Gen Titan. I have never heard of people having issues with rear axles before I had a Titan. Now we have the Frontier, and its posted here too.
Other Trucks do have hoses off the axles, but its just a length of hose with the same type valve we have on the end of it, not a free flow vent system like what our front axle has apparently.

As long as your not axle deep in water of muck, I don't see why you would need this mod. Its one of those, may do something, may do nothing scenarios.

Still doesn't explain though why people WITH the mod still have axle seal failures. All this stuff was happening on early year trucks mainly pre 2012 or so from what I have read. So might have been crappy seals in earlier trucks and since been upgraded.

Seems no one knows. Very difficult to get info too. Dana did email me back with a number to call. When I get a chance will try calling and see what they say...
it happens on all trucks eventually. the seals just wear out over the years. rubber doesn't last forever. it happens on every brand of truck not just nissans. my 1988 toyota truck had a seal leak and i had to get it replaced. it even happens on brand new tacomas. it's not just a nissan problem. it's a solid axle problem.

it's like any other seal on a vehicle. valve cover gaskets and so forth. they all eventually leak once a vehicle gets so old.

sure driving in mud and salt causes them to fail sooner than later because the vent gets clogged up and the pressure has to go somewhere so it pushes past the seals. driving in mud or water over the axle or driving on salty roads it's prob the best idea to do the vent mod. if you don't do that type of driving then there's no real need to do the mod.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
102 Posts
it happens on all trucks eventually. the seals just wear out over the years. rubber doesn't last forever. you gotta think about it when the wheels turn the axle shafts are constantly rubbing on the rubber seals. it happens on every brand of truck not just nissans. my 1988 toyota truck had a seal leak and i had to get it replaced. it even happens on brand new tacomas. it's not just a nissan problem. it's a solid axle problem.

it's like any other seal on a vehicle. valve cover gaskets and so forth. they all eventually leak once a vehicle gets so old.

sure driving in mud and salt causes them to fail sooner than later because the vent gets clogged up and the pressure has to go somewhere so it pushes past the seals. driving in mud or water over the axle or driving on salty roads it's prob the best idea to do the vent mod. if you don't do that type of driving then there's no real need to do the mod.
I agree with you. It's just seems folks think it's a given that on Nissan Trucks it is more prone to happen? I'm not sure where that comes from because there are many factors involved.
The mod works for those that see deep water and axle deep muck all the time that makes sense under those conditions, especially if seen on a regular basis...
For the average person driving one of these trucks?
It's probably one of those it won't hurt type of mods? So why not?
I thought about doing it for a minute but after thinking on it and the fact my wife's truck is under warranty for 7yr/100k miles? Why bother? Knowing my luck if I did have an issue Nissan would deny a claim because of it. Who knows.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts