Nissan Frontier Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
102 Posts
I will be doing future UOA's on the dif oil in the future and will post them on the forum.

Won't be for a little while though because I change gear oil every 15k miles. Usually with Amsoil Severe gear in the rear dif.

So we will see. For now though I will do some searching if anyone has already done it.

This will reveal allot. I think common sense and regular maintenance goes a long way here.

·
Registered
511 Posts
if you off road in mud and water or drive on salty roads then doing the mod makes a lot of sense. people say crappy nissan vent but the same thing is used on toyota tacomas and so forth and they have the same issues with axle seals going out. most if not all of the time it's from offroading through mud and water and/or driving on salty roads locking the vents up with corrosion over time. it's something people never think about checking so it gets neglected. you can mod it or just keep a check on it. the choice is yours. either will work.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
These tug-of-war threads are amusing. 🤡 Allow me to re-muddy the waters a bit. There are/have been folks here at CF who have performed the axle vent mod and yet have had axle seal failure on down the road. My point is that the axle vent mod is no guarantee - like some seem to think/infer. Though, the reasoning behind it is very logical. I'll call it a peace of mind+ mod.

Launching boats where axle is submerged? Living/driving in a rainy climate? Wheeling in moist/muddy places? Any of these are good reasons to strongly consider the axle vent mod, imo.

OP:
What is the cost of a diff oil analysis? $25-$35?
Some would argue that changing diff oil(s) at 15K intervals is overkill. But for the cost of either diff repair or replacement, it is somewhat cheap(er) insurance, is it not?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
These tug-of-war threads are amusing.
Some would argue that changing diff oil(s) at 15K intervals is overkill. But for the cost of either diff repair or replacement, it is somewhat cheap(er) insurance, is it not?
I find them amusing as well. Que Sera, Sera.
I dont think I've ever seen anyone recommend 15k intervals for any gearbox or geartrain, but if you don't mind, it's all good. At the end of the day, its your wallet and your truck. Mine is just an opinion, and is worth no more nor no less than that.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CC, Midnight edition, white
58 Posts
In any case, the back and forth does present all sides of the argument so people like me can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
102 Posts
These tug-of-war threads are amusing. 🤡 Allow me to re-muddy the waters a bit. There are/have been folks here at CF who have performed the axle vent mod and yet have had axle seal failure on down the road. My point is that the axle vent mod is no guarantee - like some seem to think/infer. Though, the reasoning behind it is very logical. I'll call it a peace of mind+ mod.

Launching boats where axle is submerged? Living/driving in a rainy climate? Wheeling in moist/muddy places? Any of these are good reasons to strongly consider the axle vent mod, imo.

OP:
[/QUOTE

OP:
I see your view as things may seem like a tug and war type of thing. To me? I just like to understand how things work, and why things fail. I guess I should have been an engineer. To me? At least from the posts I have read, which are all of them from the original OP, it seems people claim this is a very common problem. Like if you don't do this mod YOU WILL have a failed axle. That puzzles me. I mean, how many ten's of thousands of these trucks and Titans that have Dana axles on them from 2004+? I mean we are talking ALLOT of trucks. I have never heard of any axle failures till I came to the Titan forums some years ago, and now on this forum. I like to know what the scenarios are that caused the failure? Was it a failed vent that was rusted or blocked? Or was it just crappy seal design that Dana had? If so has that been fixed? Or was it due to lack of maintenance or abuse of the Truck from overloading, or modifications? Or just the service life of the part and this happens eventually on any truck?

So its not that I don't think the mod would work, but I do see some potential issues with this mod. 1. Condensation would be an issue and could be why people with the mod are still having failures. If condensation builds in the hose itself the only place it can go is down right into the axle. 2. The filter design. I see kits that use K&N type filter and or a fuel filter inline type. Those filters are designed for air to be filter (or fuel) and are meant to be one way filtration, yet in the axle case, you have positive and negative pressure, so the filter will be pulling and pushing air. Those type of filters were not designed for that.

Sure I have seen this mod on trucks, but ones that are off road only and they go wheeling every weekend like my sister does in her Jeep. Even She that has pro rallies under her belt has the stock vent on her Jeep which is like the ones on the Frontier and Titan. She also has a 2005 Titan she bought new and has over 200k miles on it and no axle issues and is on the original OEM axle vent.

This comes down to your last kinda question about the UOA's and the frequency in which I change gear oil. This all kinda ties together. Yes UOA's cost about $25-$30 per sample. Usually more if you want a TBN done, but on gear oil? You shouldn't need that. The UOA will reveal if there is dirt, or water in the fluid which would really help in determining if the OEM vent is doing its job, or if the Mod does. So I will be doing a UOA when I change the gear oil next and will state at that time if I am using the OEM vent or the Mod.

Now the frequency of my gear oil changes? Well that comes from several factors. 1. I used to track cars for fun and often would do gear oil UOA's and found I needed to do more frequent changes due to the extreme's racing puts on the parts. 2. I live in a VERY extremely hot climate and very dusty. I live in the SoCal Low deserts where we are usually the warmest in the nation, and our air quality is poor most of the year due to sand storms and agriculture in the area. So I go by the SEVERE duty on the maintenance. My Sister has done the same with her Titan for all these years and has never had a problem so maybe maintenance is key here?

Lastly, to make a long story longer, Gear oil is cheap and easy to change. I use Amsoil Severe Gear in my Titan, well used to till I traded it in on the Frontier. I will use the same in this truck. I changed it every 15k miles and my Titan had 60k miles on it when I traded it in, and no problems and that truck we had off road quite a bit. Axle deep in snow on several occasions visiting my folks in Prescott, AZ.

If I over due maintenance? Maybe its wasting a little money....but oil is cheap, I use Castrol EDGE EP 5w30 in the engine ever 5k miles, use Matic S spill n fills every 10 miles and do the gear oils ever 15k. I do a siphon and fill on the brake fluid and power steering fluid ever 5k miles with the engine oil change as well as change the engine Air Filter. I do this for peace of mind that my car or truck is able to be at its best especially under extreme temperatures and dust where I live.

I don't wheel my trucks like my sister does her Jeep. I just use the truck as a truck, my wife drives it to work and back, we go on the trail and in the snow some times. Its just a fun vehicle all around. Our kind of vehicle.

Anyway, Hope that answers some questions....

Not trying to cause a rift or be difficult here. To do the mod or not is the question. haha

I just like to figure things out first. Love the conversation especially now in these crazy times we are ALL in. So Thank You everyone for taking the time to chime in....👍

·
Registered
102 Posts
I find them amusing as well. Que Sera, Sera.
I dont think I've ever seen anyone recommend 15k intervals for any gearbox or geartrain, but if you don't mind, it's all good. At the end of the day, its your wallet and your truck. Mine is just an opinion, and is worth no more nor no less than that.
You can read my other reply to why I do the fluid changes so often. I left kinda a long story haha

·
Registered
511 Posts
typical mileage for the diff oil change is every 60k miles. obviously if you off road a lot or tow heavy loads a lot you should do it more often maybe every 30k. 15k isn't gonna hurt anything if that's what you wanna do. i guess it's better to change it too often rather than not often enough. LOL

·
Registered
102 Posts
typical mileage for the diff oil change is every 60k miles. obviously if you off road a lot or tow heavy loads a lot you should do it more often maybe every 30k. 15k isn't gonna hurt anything if that's what you wanna do. i guess it's better to change it too often rather than not often enough. LOL
Yep. The oil is not that expensive and it's easy so why not? Over kill yeah but vehicles in my garage are like family and I try to take care of them best I can.

Now if it was spark plugs? That's another story haha what a PITA on this truck but that's another topic for another day 😎

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Read it here at CF that at least one guy was denied warranty due to his axle vent mod. I'm not going to dig for it, but it's here...somewhere. Willing to bet that particular service manager woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. LOL If denied, then it's practically time to lawyer up for the long ride. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, whatever.

After 5yr/60K (or 100k for Certified Pre-Owned), all bets are off.

Amsoil's squeeze~bags of gear fluid is a revolutionary way to add gear oil when in tight confines. It's what I use & I'm a 30K guy myself. Though, I swapped out the rear diff factory fill at 3K and my 6-sp at 12K, then both again at 38K. This second time around I switched to Redline in my 6-sp and prefer it over Amsoil...and I'm an Amsoil dealer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Read it here at CF that at least one guy was denied warranty due to his axle vent mod. I'm not going to dig for it, but it's here...somewhere. Willing to bet that particular service manager woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. LOL If denied, then it's practically time to lawyer up for the long ride. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, whatever.

After 5yr/60K (or 100k for Certified Pre-Owned), all bets are off.

Amsoil's squeeze~bags of gear fluid is a revolutionary way to add gear oil when in tight confines. It's what I use & I'm a 30K guy myself. Though, I swapped out the rear diff factory fill at 3K and my 6-sp at 12K, then both again at 38K. This second time around I switched to Redline in my 6-sp and prefer it over Amsoil...and I'm an Amsoil dealer.
Here is the thing on warranty issues through dealers, and of course, other folks experiences may vary. I will just stick to the point about the possible warranty denial of this vent mod on a Frontier. The Magnuson-Moss Act does protect people if they do indeed use aftermarket parts on their cars. There is a catch though, it does state the Manufacturer will have the burden of proof? Sounds solid right? Well kinda, in the case of the axle mod, you are eliminating a factory part and using a totally different type of part that was not specifically designed for the truck. So, example, if your OEM vent valve corroded and you went to the local auto parts store and bought a new axle vent valve and you put it on and a week later the axle blew, the dealer would have to prove that part caused the failure. In that case, you most likely have nothing to worry about. BUT since your replacing the OEM designed part with a hose and a filter on the end? That is not a "replacement part" per se and that is where I can see the legal troubles.

Now, you can yell at the dealer all you want, get pissed because your axle is leaking oil everywhere, but they can deny your claim. So you do what? You lawyer up. Most likely no lawyer will take a case like this pro bono, so you would have to pay a retainer for an attorney, and probably a good 18-24 months to get any result if any. Probably a year in, you begin to run out of cash and can't afford the attorney and settle out by the dealer paying partially. That is what I have seen posted on many forums over many years of being on various automotive forums.

Yes you may win, and in the mean time you have leaky seals that are not getting fixed haha. By the time your lawyer fee's are paid (not all get reimbursed by the dealer) you could have just paid for the part to be replaced in the first place. That is what the dealers count on. People now a days are broke, they can't afford to lawyer up is why dealers act the way they do. Not all of course but some. Again, personal experiences may vary, this is just what I have personally seen happen over the years.

As for Amsoil in the dif, and such, I don't like the squeeze bags and prefer the bottles. That is just my preference. I do things a little over the top on maintenance on some things, but not everything. The rear dif fluid is so easy to change and the fluid isn't that expensive so I just do it often. The front dif and T/C isn't bad to do and the transmission spill n fills are easy too. I use Matic S only though on the Transmission only. I have found I can buy Matic S fluid through AISIN much cheaper than through NISSAN.

Unless your axle deep in water or mud on a regular basis, I still feel as preventative maintenance why not just replace the OEM valve every 15k miles miles or so and well never worry about it? If you are one that off loads a boat into the lake or the like and your axle is completely submerged totally understand why you would do this mod.

I just haven't seen that many failures for the tens of thousands of these trucks to warrant the mod otherwise.

As a side note, I am emailing Dana requesting info on the M226 axle specifically (since its on my wifes truck) and see what they think about this. They are the ones who put the vent there, not NISSAN haha.

If I get a response? I will post it here for you all.

·
Registered
699 Posts
They only put that vent there because thats how nissan spec'ed the axle when they ordered 50,000 of them.as thats the same one nissan has put on the C200 axle that 3 out of 4 frontiers get equipped with.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They only put that vent there because thats how nissan spec'ed the axle when they ordered 50,000 of them.as thats the same one nissan has put on the C200 axle that 3 out of 4 frontiers get equipped with.
Your assuming that Nissan Spec'd them this way? Or Dana provided them this way? You work for Nissan? Or your just assuming? I do believe NISSAN spec'd the axles to some extent, but now how to build them and such. I would think the spec's would be size and what it would need to withstand. Dana did the rest. I emailed Dana and if they reply I will post it.

Nissan doesn't build Axles, so why would they tell Dana to spec it that way? Makes no sense to me. If this vent is so known to be faulty and cause issues and Dana is putting their reputation on the line??

I am hoping they email me back. Not that it is going to change anything, the vent how it is, is on the truck, but questions about the vent itself and their suggestion would go a long way with me.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If this vent is so fantasmagorical, why is the transmission, transfer case and frt differential all vented via extended breather lines? Why wouldn't you use this thing everywhere? Easy answer, it sux, it's cheap ( doesn't cost DANA much which then translates to lower prices passed forward to Nissan and Toyota ) and faster to install on the line, no breather hose routing to slow down the line workers. I would very much like to see what Dana's answer is, if you get them to chime in too. I've never seen any type of machinery that's only vented one way, that isn't supposed to be above atmo during normal operation ( say, like a boiler or hot water heater pressure vent being one-way, outbound only, as an example ).

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
153 Posts
If this vent is so fantasmagorical, why is the transmission, transfer case and frt differential all vented via extended breather lines? Why wouldn't you use this thing everywhere? Easy answer, it sux, it's cheap ( doesn't cost DANA much which then translates to lower prices passed forward to Nissan and Toyota ) and faster to install on the line, no breather hose routing to slow down the line workers. I would very much like to see what Dana's answer is, if you get them to chime in too. I've never seen any type of machinery that's only vented one way, that isn't supposed to be above atmo during normal operation ( say, like a boiler or hot water heater pressure vent being one-way, outbound only, as an example ).

🤣👍

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I would like a clear definition of this word please. 😁
Its posilutely absitively not a real word. Or perhaps it is, in some other political dictionary. That's as far as I'm going.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I understand your point, but remember no one is saying its a perfect set up (the OEM Valve) it just has to do its job. Which it does because if it didn't? There would be a recall. This tells me that the rear axle issue only affects a very small percentage of trucks and even then I would like to know the circumstances in which said axles fail.

Interestingly, on the Titan forums when I was researching for my truck a little while back (1st Gen Titan 4x4) Somewhere on the forums was a thread about this. There someone mentioned that the seals in the rear axle were faulty from the 2004-2007 trucks I believe and they had a high number of failures. Dana changed out the seals and the problem went away (for the most part).

So my question is, is this axle problem a known problem on the newest of Frontiers? Or are we talking this happens often on older ones? Or maybe Dana never revised the seals as they needed to for the Titan (1st Gen).

As for the reason why the front dif uses a tube instead of a plunger type thing on the rear dif? Hard to say, could be heat from the engine or transmission requiring better venting? who knows. I doubt it would affect the line workers on the build of the truck because they are routing brake lines and everything around that rear axle anyway so a simple hose and a clip here and there wouldn't slow them down.

Really hoping Dana writes back. If they don't? I will ask my sister. She had sponsors for her rallies in her Jeep and not that Dana was a sponsor, but the people she was sponsored by worked with Dana to build parts for the Jeeps (talking Wranglers). Maybe she can find out through one of them. I will ask.

Can you take a picture for me of your truck where the vent is on the front dif? I would like to see where it is? I am not familiar with the Frontier and am learning more and more about it.

Thank You 👍

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also, one more thing, are you saying that the pressure in the rear axle gets so high that an open element (like the mod) or a 2 way valve is necessary? From my understanding we are talking very very very low pressure in the axle. So its comparing apples to oranges here?

81 - 100 of 130 Posts