Nissan Frontier Forum banner

181 - 183 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Let call that device what it really is- a check valve. Air only moves one way through the device. When I pulled mine off my new truck with only a few hundred miles, I cleaned it off held it to my lips and blew through it. Air vented out. Then I tried to suck air back in, no go. I pulled it apart. If I recall, it's essentially two metal tubes, a small spring, and a small rubber-like diaphragm. Air pressure inside the axle from heat buildup can push out, but vacuum cannot bring air back in during cool down. The front axle/diff, on the other hand, is vented through a rubber tube secured on the back side of the air box in the engine bay.

I don't know the answer, and I don't know the true cause for seal failures, but I know that device on the rear axle does nothing to keep internal air pressure constantly in balance to the atmosphere outside of it. But my mod keep it in balance. And makes me think I should put filters on the other factory vent tubes.

Reactions: Krony

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Let call that device what it really is- a check valve. Air only moves one way through the device. When I pulled mine off my new truck with only a few hundred miles, I cleaned it off held it to my lips and blew through it. Air vented out. Then I tried to suck air back in, no go.

....but I know that device on the rear axle does nothing to keep internal air pressure constantly in balance to the atmosphere outside of it. But my mod keep it in balance. And makes me think I should put filters on the other factory vent tubes.
I put a $7.95 K&N PCV breather filter on my front axle vent as well, for just the very same reasons. Not sure where the transmission and transfer case vent but I'm sure they have to have something somewhere.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
212 Posts
Hello Everyone, my apologies for not getting the info from Dana right now. Wife is going through a re testing phase to see if she is still positive for covid. I have been visiting my folks out of state the whole time. Good News is my wife seems to be doing better but still coughing and gets tired easy, but overall she is telling me she is getting better. She will know Monday if she is still positive. If so? Isolation for another week and re test again till negative. My wife views my visit to see my folks as a blessing since I left just in time.

Well I have tried calling Dana from my folks house but "Due to Covid 19 wait times may vary" well after an hour wait on the phone I gave up. I will try again once I get home. Some may think this is a waste of time, but to me its to gather information from the supplier to what THEY think is the issue and if the mod everyone is doing is of benefit or not for a daily street driven truck.

On another note, I reached out on YouTube and there was a guy that had a base 2wd 2017 Frontier that he just recently had the seals replaced under warranty on his truck. He noticed his parking brake wasn't holding the truck and saw oil dripping onto the rim.

Now when I asked him about it he said the vent was the cause. So I asked him, so you saw the vent and it was clogged? He said no. I asked did the Dealer say it was a clogged vent the caused the leaks? He said no. So I said, how do you know it was the vent then? He said he just assumed.

Now here is the thing. I believe it was a member here or a person on YouTube that commented, sorry I have been doing so much research on this I'm getting people mixed up. haha....But someone had an OEM vent blew on it and was able to blow air OUT but not IN. This proves it is indeed a one way vavle. So if the valve lets say is getting gunked up and you have never been off roading or going through streams or anything why would it be clogged?

My guess on this and is something I want to ask Dana is the seal design. It is possible that water or and dust is getting past the seals and when the pressure builds and the OEM vent does vent it gets clogged in this manner. Its the only way that makes sense. How can a vent that is one way, with a protective cover on it that is new get clogged just driving in the street? Through normal rain and what not?

This would also explain why folks WITH the mod still have seal issues.

So my belief is this may not be totally a vent issue but crappy seal design. The evidence is slowly building up to reflect this. Dana may only tell me they build them to spec and thats it, but I can at least ask an opinion vs lets say a Dana 44 axle in a Jeep that is of similar design but is TOTALLY Dana's design seem not to have the issue but the Nissan/Dana Hybrid design does? This may very well have everything to do with it. My Sisters Jeep has the same vent on the axle but with a little hose on it to raise it up higher but the valve design is EXACTLY the same. She has no seal issues and she is a HARD CORE off roader.

Here is a fun photo of my Sister in her Jeep in her first Professional Rally

If this is the case, we might be able to get an actual recall on the seals going to actually get this potential problem resolved vs just putting a band aid fix (Axle Vent Mod) on our trucks.

Again, avid off roaders, the vent mod makes sense. NO ARGUMENT THERE but these failures are happening on trucks used as cars and never see off road use. Granted its a VERY small % of trucks, but enough that if we can prove it? It will take the help of allot of people. Dana being one. So we will see. If anything, its for information purposes only. Especially since this affects the Titans as well.

People keep telling me, "just do the mod, I have 50k miles and no problems" and I say yeah, but I know 10 other people WITHOUT the mod with 100k miles with an OEM vent and NO PROBLEMS either...haha. The point is to see what the REAL issue is and see if we can find a resolution for those who have these failures.

Be Safe out there everyone. Covid is no joke. Take precautions, use common sense and lets look out for each other....

As our great nation went through turmoil in September 2011 a phrase has been a bond for our nation and we need it more now than EVER.....Its simple this...

UNITED WE STAND

181 - 183 of 183 Posts