Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 4cyl 2wd truck. I plan on launching a boat one time this weekend, so the rear axle is going to be submerged.

Is the stock little vent cap a 1-way valve or or is it like a chimney and just has a up/down airflow path?

Only concerned about water when the axle is submerged and whether the stock setup will let water in for 1-2 submersions.

I did see threads about relocating the breather with a hose up to the frame. I'm not in dusty conditions, so I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.

Thanks.

Edit: I just looked at the axle and I can't find a vent or hole of any kind on it. Is this axle sealed?
Edit2: Doh, checked the FSM and it's along the axle tube on the right side. I see it now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Relocation isn't for dust, it's more for keeping water out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
The factory vent has a spring loaded cap held up (open) by a very light spring. It seems that the cap would remain open under normal circumstances. If there were an air vacuum that closes the vent (or the vent becomes plugged) it is thought that it puts undue pressure on the axle seals and may cause premature failure. Jury is still out on that.

For me, given that the vent is normally open, I did not want to take the chance that water, snow, or ice could impact the operation of the vent, or water being able to enter the axle when ramping a boat or traversing high water. I did the vent mod and extended the axle vent to an air filter installed in the passenger tail light area. Figure if I have water at that level, I have a bigger issue than the axle.

If it were me, I would do something to extend the vent above the waterline.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It tales 10 minutes to do. It's cheap insurance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You can also use a toyota part number as well, i don't remember it but there is a how to on this site. Review and i believe it has that number in it. It was in stock for me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I found this image with several compatible parts. Will call around today. Just ordered some parts a few days ago online too, shoot.

Which one do we order?

Is the threads the same for a C200k rear axle and the M226?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
You don't even need the barb fitting. Once you take the cap off and remove the spring and plunger there is enough for a hose and clamp to grab. This is how mine has been for over 3 years without issue. Just head to autozone and get about 5 feet of hose, cheap fuel filter, and 2 hose clamps. Cost is less than $10 and takes no more than 15mins to do.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You don't even need the barb fitting. Once you take the cap off and remove the spring and plunger there is enough for a hose and clamp to grab. This is how mine has been for over 3 years without issue. Just head to autozone and get about 5 feet of hose, cheap fuel filter, and 2 hose clamps. Cost is less than $10 and takes no more than 15mins to do.

I prefer a barbed fitting as less chance of the hose coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which one do we order?
Is the threads the same for a C200k rear axle and the M226?
Going to pick up the Nissan part #38323-C601A now. Will post back later tonight with photos, but I'm fairly confident the C200 is the same thread.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok, got it installed. Yes the threads are the same for both axles.

Nissan part #38323-C601A - $7.84
20' of 3/16 ID hose from Home Depot - $5.36
Zip ties - already in stock

As you can see, the fitting is definitely tapered and not a "straight 1/8" thread" as I've seen stated a few places. I applied a wrap of pipe tape and threaded it in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I launched my boat where there were no launch ramps.I would release enough winch line to allow for the boat to slide almost half way off the trailer. To do this I would go hard in reverse and slam on the brakes.Had to do it a few times.Some of my friends made extended hitches just for launching also.Saved a lot of brakes from the salt water.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For ocean going that absolutely makes sense.

I'm launching in fresh water so I'm not as concerned. I do need to back in fairly far as I have a stand up in the bed and not on a trailer or hitch hauler.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I'm sure both will work. The Nissan part with 3/16 hose is a really nice fit, and that's what it was designed for. A matter of personal preference really ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts