Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when getting wider sized tire is there a need for a new rim size in order to accomidate?
example: the tire i have right now are 30inch by 9.50s and im wanting to go with something like a 31 or 32 by like 11.50 ish.

sorry for the stupid quetion but this is how i learn:(

bump

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
if they are stockers i would thin so, but it would also depend in the wheel backspacing.

without extra lift or proper backspacing, you would probably have to do some trimming

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
assuming clearance isnt an issue, I think you can go 4" wider than the rim. though i have seen some go a little wider.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Tire manufactures usually have the rim width listed with the various tire sizes on their web site.

That being said, I ran a 31X10.50 on a 15X7 wheel. And I recently upgraded from a 265/75-16 to a 285/75-16 on my stock 16X7 NISMO wheels, with the 265 being ~10.4" wide and the 285 being ~11.2" wide. The 11.2 on a 7" wheel probably isn't recommended by the tire manufacturer, but there are many on here with that setup and no issues. I reduced the air pressure to get even tire/ground contact across the width of the tire. Otherwise, you may see uneven tread wear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well yall yet again you have blessed me with your abundance of knowledge!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what would be a really thin/skinny 33in tire?
WELL I DONT REALLY KNO BUT MINE ARE 9 AND A HALFS AND TO ME THEY LOOK REALLLLLY SKINNEY EVEN WITH ONLY 30 INCHERS.... SO THATS PROBABLY SMALL IF THEY MAKE 33S THAT SKINNY

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool thanks! but how do you know how tall a tire is by the codes on the tire?
WELL I DONT KNO MUCH ABOUT TIRES
BUT WHAT I DID WAS COPIED WHAT IT SAID AND THE TYPED INTO GOOGLE "(WHATEVER YOU COPPIED) IN INCHES"
AND BY THAT I HAVE VOME TO BE ABLE TO KNO WHAT SIZES MOST ARE
DO U NEED HELP FIGURING OUT WHAT SIZE ONE IS?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
well like i have a prg 3in lift, and i am supposedly able to clear 33's vertically... however many 33's are too wide so that when you turn you get rubbing. My question was do they make a 33 that is narrow enought not to cause this issue

ill google it or just go ask at the tire shop

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well like i have a prg 3in lift, and i am supposedly able to clear 33's vertically... however many 33's are too wide so that when you turn you get rubbing. My question was do they make a 33 that is narrow enought not to cause this issue

ill google it or just go ask at the tire shop
HERE IS WHAT I FOUND FOR THE BFG ALL TERAIN

33X9.50R15/C

THATS A REEEEALLLLY SKINNEY TIRE LIKE COOKIE CUTTER
HA HERES THE SITE FOR THAT
BFGoodrich Tires | Error

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 15 of 15 Posts