Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have posted a few days ago explaining that I could not get my cam bolts off to replace them with adjstable ones...

Well I got off work a little early today and took a ride to my mechanic hoping to get them off... after about an hour of trying to get one of them off NO LUCK!!!... We have tried everyhting: impact wrench, breaker bar, air impact hammer, sledge hammer... it just seems that the bolt is seized inside the metal sleeve... we were able to turn it half way in both directions on a rubber bushing, but i'm afraid to turn it more and break the bushing...

Does anyone have any suggestions??? is it a coldweld? how do you break it??? or is it simply seized??? should i start looking into cutting the whole thing off and replacing bushings and sleeves???

Thank you in advance,

Nick:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I had the same issue with one of mine. Cut the bolt and tried to drill it out (ask Irongrave about how much fun he had that day:laugh:) The bushing is a non-replacable part...through nissan. I don't know if there is any aftermarket ones that will work. I ended up just walking into the dealership with my LCA and telling them "I need one of these." A couple days later I had a new one to just bolt right in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh, i'm leaning towards that too, i have found lca's online at 1stnissanparts for 134/each... is that a good price??? how hard are they to replace?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
yeh, i'm leaning towards that too, i have found lca's online at 1stnissanparts for 134/each... is that a good price??? how hard are they to replace?
^ uhh... 1st step is to remove the bolts..
Have you tried a torch? just heat it up and hit it with the gun...

add/edit: I used some Liquid Wrench, Mapp torch and a IR gun @130psi. to get one of my rear shock bolts out(fac. spec. @200lbs.).

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
soak the bolts with penetrating oil. Then use a bigger hammer.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
soak the bolts with penetrating oil. Then use a bigger hammer.

Clint
tried that. and used a REALLY BIG hammer. still didn't work:comphead:

I think I paid 170ish from my local dealership. I didn't shop around cause I needed it right then.

Extremely easy to replace. un bolt everything from your stuck lca and put the new one in. Obviously you'll need new cam bolts, but I think that's what you were going for so I'm guessing you have them. Other then that, as long as you don't f-up the LCA mounts when cutting through the siezed bolt you'll be fine

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
tried that. and used a REALLY BIG hammer. still didn't work:comphead:

I think I paid 170ish from my local dealership. I didn't shop around cause I needed it right then.

Extremely easy to replace. un bolt everything from your stuck lca and put the new one in. Obviously you'll need new cam bolts, but I think that's what you were going for so I'm guessing you have them. Other then that, as long as you don't f-up the LCA mounts when cutting through the siezed bolt you'll be fine
Then you needed to use a really. really big hammer lol.

I want to do this to both my 07 Pathfinder as well as my 08 Frontier and hope I don't run into this issue. Pathfinder needs new tires and an alignment. I'm wondering at what age the bolts seize, maybe in the first year or two they should be ok? Can it be as long as they were never submerged in water and mud those trucks stand a better chance?

Clint

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah... i torched one of the bolts until it was blazing hot, rubber bushing was ready to melt... then used a REALLY BIG hammer... and got it out. The bolt had lots of white powder come out with it... My conclusion is that they are cold welded with some sort of locking compound... The bushing got somewhat messed up in the process....

Word of advice: save yourself the frustration, if your bolts are seized/ cold welded just order new LCAs ($130 each new, or around 85 each ebay used). Your really need to scorch the bolts to get them out.

Nick

PS Just ordered LCAs, $ 289 shipped from 1stnissanparts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Good to hear that it's over.. too bad ya had to get new LCAs tho'.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Word of caution with the torch......some penetrating lubes are toxic when burned. Ventilate really well and use a fan to blow the smoke away from you. Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
yeah... i torched one of the bolts until it was blazing hot, rubber bushing was ready to melt... then used a REALLY BIG hammer... and got it out. The bolt had lots of white powder come out with it... My conclusion is that they are cold welded with some sort of locking compound... The bushing got somewhat messed up in the process....

Word of advice: save yourself the frustration, if your bolts are seized/ cold welded just order new LCAs ($130 each new, or around 85 each ebay used). Your really need to scorch the bolts to get them out.

Nick

PS Just ordered LCAs, $ 289 shipped from 1stnissanparts
Can the white powder just be corrosion/oxidation?

Clint

Word of caution with the torch......some penetrating lubes are toxic when burned. Ventilate really well and use a fan to blow the smoke away from you. Better safe than sorry.
Good call on the fumes. The fan blowing from behind works well. There is a flammability factor too so I always have a fire extiguisher next to me when torching anything.

Clint

·
Registered
837 Posts
Is this typical or not with the cam bolts? I cant get surprised by doing this as my budget is tapped out.
I am having a shop do the alignment and was just going to have them do the bolts then.
Also wondering how OP made out??? New LCA's?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts