Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've known for years that the EPA Gas Mileage numbers are pretty far off...but I have to say that my truck seems to be SUCKING down gas...if my numbers are correct, I got 15.05MPG on my last tank (which was filled from the dealer), I got (I think) 253 miles before the light lit, and I filled it with 16.8 gallons. I have a KC SEV6 4x4. After I filled it up, I've since then driven about 90 miles and I'm at about 9/16 tank...

So, with that what kind of gas mileages are you getting on average?

For "I bought it new" owners, did you notice an improvement after you put some miles on it?

(I didn't think much of the gas mileage difference because I was averaging with my 4-banger Ranger around 22MPG...but this is about as "bad" as my old 1979 T-Bird! (I got 14 out of it with it's 351-M engine))

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
when i was stock I averaged 18 mpg, and now with the lift and load range E 285 mud tires I'm averaging about 14 mpg.

Reactions: Heinz57

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lately I've been getting 16-17 mpg, but its also been 32*F out. During the summer I was getting 20-21. Mostly highway driving.

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
the mileage does get better but we are also using winter blend gas.

Clint

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah these trucks like to suck the gas but then again what truck doesn't?? If you look around at trucks that are comparable or in the same class, their mileage isn't all that much better. Maybe a couple of miles per gallon here and there, but for the most part they are the same. It has everything to do with weight and these Frontiers are just downright heavy. The crappy thing is you might as well be driving a full size.... a little harder on fuel, not much, but tons of power behind the wheel.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I've known for years that the EPA Gas Mileage numbers are pretty far off...but I have to say that my truck seems to be SUCKING down gas...if my numbers are correct, I got 15.05MPG on my last tank (which was filled from the dealer), I got (I think) 253 miles before the light lit, and I filled it with 16.8 gallons. I have a KC SEV6 4x4. After I filled it up, I've since then driven about 90 miles and I'm at about 9/16 tank...

So, with that what kind of gas mileages are you getting on average?

For "I bought it new" owners, did you notice an improvement after you put some miles on it?

(I didn't think much of the gas mileage difference because I was averaging with my 4-banger Ranger around 22MPG...but this is about as "bad" as my old 1979 T-Bird! (I got 14 out of it with it's 351-M engine))
your a bit on the low side.
is this a gen 1 or a gen 2 truck?
My gen 1 truck averages close to 20, but when my knock sensor finally died, it dropped to the 17 neighborhood.

·
Registered
99 Posts
2006 Nismo crew cab

K&N Air filter only

Automatic Transmission

Factory drive train

Factory tires

87 grade gas

53,000 miles

On the highway I can get around 20ish if it's relatively flat and I drive very smoothly. Otherwise with more average driving I would say I get about 18ish.

In town I have seen below 13 over a decent period of time if I drive like a bit of a mad man. If I am a bit more careful but maybe still a tad bit more aggressive than average I would say 14 or 15 maybe.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your a bit on the low side.
is this a gen 1 or a gen 2 truck?
My gen 1 truck averages close to 20, but when my knock sensor finally died, it dropped to the 17 neighborhood.
gen 2 - 2010 w 300 or so miles on the clock

·
Registered
427 Posts
your truck isn't even broken in yet.. it'll get better as time goes on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your truck isn't even broken in yet.. it'll get better as time goes on.
That's what I was thinking...lol - just wondering if owners are getting closer to advertised MPG, looks like it...so, no worries!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Definitely better mileage with time. I'd say I went up almost 3 or so MPG on the hwy from brand new to 30,000miles.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i'm fairly sure this is even something thats covered in your owners manual, pretty sure it says in the section about break in that gas mileage during break in will be sub par of the estimations by a bit. and for me (not sure where you live or whatever) its winter and MPGs suffer in winter also. when its summer i hit the estimated MPGs no problem and from what i have seen on here so do most people. wait till your done with break in before you start to judge your mileage

·
Registered
318 Posts
Got a 2009 Crew cab last week. At 7800 miles I checked my gas mileage on my first tank of gas. I got 19.1 MPG but that was from watching my speed closely and driving like a granny. After my next fill up, I'm gonna try running with the tailgate down and see what difference that makes. I could tell a difference on the old Frontier I just got rid of. Maybe it will work with this one too.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
36 K Stock 15-16 mpg, no "real" highway mileage to speak of where I live anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
After my next fill up, I'm gonna try running with the tailgate down and see what difference that makes. I could tell a difference on the old Frontier I just got rid of. Maybe it will work with this one too.
Do you have any links that show tailgate down increases MPG? I have only seen the opposite.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
After my next fill up, I'm gonna try running with the tailgate down and see what difference that makes. I could tell a difference on the old Frontier I just got rid of. Maybe it will work with this one too.
the only difference that running with a tailgate down is going to to is hurt mileage. putting the tailgate down destroys your aerodynamics. with the tailgate up some of the air coming off the top of the cab hits the tailgate then starts to swirl in the bed (if you've noticed while driving with snow in your bed it builds up at the front of the bed) creating a ball bearing like effect letting air quickly and with little resistance pass over it. with the tailgate down that boundary layer of air does not form and all you get is a massive wake of dead air, dragging around dead air will hurt your mileage. look it up all those people that say they got better mileage with the tailgate down are full of poopy, its simple fluid dynamics.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My truck went from 19 to below 15 in two tanks. I thought maybe it was from a dirty air filter, so i cleaned it, but that's made no change. I hooked up a Scanner and my Air/Fuel percentage is at 70%, way too rich. Anyone else see this?

·
Registered
318 Posts
the only difference that running with a tailgate down is going to to is hurt mileage. putting the tailgate down destroys your aerodynamics. with the tailgate up some of the air coming off the top of the cab hits the tailgate then starts to swirl in the bed (if you've noticed while driving with snow in your bed it builds up at the front of the bed) creating a ball bearing like effect letting air quickly and with little resistance pass over it. with the tailgate down that boundary layer of air does not form and all you get is a massive wake of dead air, dragging around dead air will hurt your mileage. look it up all those people that say they got better mileage with the tailgate down are full of poopy, its simple fluid dynamics.
You may be right, but I seem to remember getting better mileage with it down. Oh well, I'll know for sure in a week or so. People on the internet can write what they want, but I won't believe it until I at least try it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You may be right, but I seem to remember getting better mileage with it down. Oh well, I'll know for sure in a week or so. People on the internet can write what they want, but I won't believe it until I at least try it.
Additionally, Mythbusters featured this in an episode and absolutely busted the myth that tailgate down increases MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
My truck went from 19 to below 15 in two tanks. I thought maybe it was from a dirty air filter, so i cleaned it, but that's made no change. I hooked up a Scanner and my Air/Fuel percentage is at 70%, way too rich. Anyone else see this?
I had this exact same thing happen to me about a month ago and I have still not figured out why it has gone down. Let me know if you come up with something to get it back to the way it was.

1 - 20 of 428 Posts