Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 3 years of ownership I've finally found my first legitimate gripe with this truck...

Somewhere here I read a while back about how bad the Fronty's headlights are, so I took it upon myself to be proactive and upgrade the bulbs to something better (I forget which bulbs I got...it's been a couple of years). Since I don't drive at night much, and when I do it's in the city with tons of environmental light around, I never really put much thought into the headlights...until last week.

When I found myself in the middle of nowhere Nevada heading toward the bottom of nowhere Idaho in the middle of the night I finally realized what the fuss is about - the Fronty's headlights SUCK. Like REALLY SUCK. The high beams were just barely adequate and not nearly far enough down the road to feel safe. And the low beams? Forget it.

Luckily I bought a used set of Morimoto fog/driving lights here a while back (thanks @raine!) and they seriously saved my bacon. Twice. Without them I would never have seen the 2 coyotes in the middle of the road in time to take evasive maneuvers. I also have 2 9" LED light bars but I couldn't use them much due to oncoming traffic - when the road ahead was clear though, they were a godsend.

So in the near future I'll definitely be looking into modern aftermarket replacements for the carriage lanterns Nissan calls headlights on this truck ('14 P4X). I know they'll probably cost a pretty penny but after that experience I think whatever they cost would be a bargain at twice the price, so if you have any suggestions or success stories about replacing your headlights with something better (HID, LED, etc...) feel free to post them here. I'm open to any and all suggestions, but would prefer to keep bucket modifications to a minimum if possible.

And here's to hoping that the next gen Fronty gets modern peepers. :nerd:

/rant0ver/

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
You're welcome buddy

And this is why I installed Rigids (for closer visibility) and the PIAAs (for long range)... every so often I have to drive through mountain roads where there's no such thing as street lights or lane reflectors, and it's very nice to have both the Rigids and PIAAs lighting my way.

As for the next Frontier, well at least it'll be modern tech, not circa 2005 like our trucks are LOL

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
@Mfed glad to hear you're safe bud! Along with the animals :) n I have to COMPLETELY agree that the lights on this truck sucks balls. Especially if you have another car that has HID's .... cant even compare..... I would like to get the projector hid kit, but I am not that skilled at fabricating the projector kit and cutting the headlight out to fit it in.... looking to upgrade the fog lights VERY soon.... let your fellow SF frontier brother know what you end up going with as I might just do the same!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
.... for the carriage lanterns Nissan calls headlights on this truck ...
::grin:: This made me smile, so well put!

Reactions: Pelican_Flyer

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I couldn't believe how much better my wife's Altima's headlights were than my truck. She's had 3 while I have my truck and my high beams aren't half as good as any of the Altima's low beams. I swpaped the 55w bulbs for 85w and they were a little better but one burned up and I put 55w back in. I've always wanted to put lights in the bumper cut outs but never got around to it, might have to make it a priority. I have LEDs in place of the stock lights on the bumper of my wrangler and the same set on the back bumper too and also a 20" light bar up front too, it's amazing how bright they are. I may have to figure out a set of LEDs for the front of the frontier. Tomorrow I'll have to remember to check the whale oil level in the headlights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
::grin:: This made me smile, so well put!
You're welcome buddy

And this is why I installed Rigids (for closer visibility) and the PIAAs (for long range)... every so often I have to drive through mountain roads where there's no such thing as street lights or lane reflectors, and it's very nice to have both the Rigids and PIAAs lighting my way.

As for the next Frontier, well at least it'll be modern tech, not circa 2005 like our trucks are LOL
I like PIAAs also. I have 520 driving lights on the Dodge.Very little lighting if any on Mexican roads. I usually run spots but the PIAAs work fine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@RobFrisco415 I'll keep you posted. Research started today and it looks like there are some LED bulb makers that are taking into account the retrofitting of an LED bulb into a standard bucket reflector...we'll see how that shakes out - a plug-and-play upgrade would definitely be my preference. Plus LED headlight bulbs would match the Mori LED fogs.

And for the record, crappy headlights or not the trip to WY to see the eclipse was more than worth it. Absolutely amazing, verging on straight-up magical. Plus I got the best gas mileage I've ever recorded in 3 years on this road trip, mostly hovering around 18mpg on the highway. I've never broken 16mpg before, and usually average about 10-11. Apparently the secret is to drive up steep mountain passes at about 70mph in 3rd gear at 4k rpm with the pedal mashed into the carpet for several miles at a time. I'll be adjusting my driving style to suit in the city... :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
HIDProjectors.com built mine for me, one of the first upgrades!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
@9balllrook when you said 'built yours' what do you mean exactly like that? They built a whole new housing? Headlight? or just the kit to change the bulb? N how much did that run you?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I ordered a pair of LED headlight bulbs that are supposed to mimic the stock beam pattern using the stock reflectors but throw about 3-4x the amount of light down the road, and at 6000k color instead of the halogen...beige? Ecru?
Kerosene fire? Anyway they should arrive this weekend so I'll update with thoughts, details and review when they get here.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and feel free to keep them coming in case this little experiment doesn't work out as anticipated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find the headlights on my '16 P4X a major improvement over the ones on my previous '06 SE. The reflector is different between the years, so it seems Nissan has been trying to improve them. Factory HID's would be nice, but life is a compromise.

Be thankful you have modern headlights. The ones in my '86 944 are sealed beam, halogen. The Frontys low beam is way brighter than my 944's high beam. One task his winter is to upgrade to euro spec H4's, and install a relay kit. Car is not at all fun to drive at night.

Do keep us up to date on the LED swap. I've known friends to do it on their motorcycles. Very bright.

·
Registered
200 Posts
@9balllrook when you said 'built yours' what do you mean exactly like that? They built a whole new housing? Headlight? or just the kit to change the bulb? N how much did that run you

They take a new headlight and paint whatever color you want, put whatever color angel eyes and devil eyes you choose. They use some of the top of the line HIDs. Prices are on their website or you can call them. Great service & product. I had a slight leak at first, sent it back to reseal & water test it. Had it back in 4 days! They even called to make sure everything was working properly.

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts
Do these have a low & high beam?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I too am curious about the LED yoj found. I have the same complaints on my 10 p4x

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
So I ordered a pair of LED headlight bulbs that are supposed to mimic the stock beam pattern using the stock reflectors but throw about 3-4x the amount of light down the road, and at 6000k color instead of the halogen...beige? Ecru?
Kerosene fire? Anyway they should arrive this weekend so I'll update with thoughts, details and review when they get here.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and feel free to keep them coming in case this little experiment doesn't work out as anticipated.
I'd like to hear and see how these turn out.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Any suggestions for a brighter than OEM bulb that throws a warm/yellow light? I find the white/blue does poorly in rain and fog and I live in the wettest place on the continent.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Anyone who's seen my build thread knows I like me some lights. I agree with the headlight issue. I upgraded to HID bulbs for my headlights and fog lights. Bright as day. Wasn't expensive at all. Total of $80 for all 4 bulbs, included everything to make it work. Fairly easy install too. Only thing was the battery is in the way of the passenger side headlight. I pulled the battery to get in there, and was easy after that.

Any suggestions for a brighter than OEM bulb that throws a warm/yellow light? I find the white/blue does poorly in rain and fog and I live in the wettest place on the continent.
The place I went to in Orlando has HID bulbs in many different colors and intensities. Not sure what you have available in your area, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts