Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i decided to make new shackles for the springs because i didnt like having a spacer ,but i had to make them 6" because they wouldnt clear the frame if they were any less
so by doin this it made the shackle angle almost straight and the truck was too tall
so i went ahead and ordered new longer to leaf springs (toyota rear springs) from summit for $238 for the pair
had to re-drill the hole for the center pin because it was offset
since i was doin all this i figured i would change the upper shock mounts so the shock bolt goes towards the frame instead of parallel (better for the shock), lower shock mounts because they sat weird and the only way to get the bolt off was to remove the springs
and finally place the bumpstops in a better position
oh and i did have to notch the front part of the body mount so the shackles can swing up
ill probably have to add a another leaf before gone but i have the leaf pack i just took off i can add to it
so as of now i should have 18" travel up front along with 18" travel in the back

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
looks good, but I question the z shaped shackels. never seen that on a vehicle before, but dont look very strong.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
111 Posts
F'in good work. Looks tough.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This looks interesting. Being new to all this, what is SAS'd? I've never seen leaf springs in the front before. What's the advantage of doing this vs. something like a total chaos or rancho kit?

AND...

Did I see that you have a titan front end on your 1st gen truck?!? I was unaware that this is a possibility.

·
Registered
881 Posts
looks good, but I question the z shaped shackels. never seen that on a vehicle before, but dont look very strong.
It's not uncommon, I've seen quite a few like that. Any time the shackle mount is wider than the leaf spring you're going to have this.

Way to go Aaron, looks good...and strong. Interesting bump stops.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This looks interesting. Being new to all this, what is SAS'd? I've never seen leaf springs in the front before. What's the advantage of doing this vs. something like a total chaos or rancho kit?

AND...

Did I see that you have a titan front end on your 1st gen truck?!? I was unaware that this is a possibility.
sas'd = solid axle swap
basically cutting out all the front IFS and installing a solid axle from either an older vehicle that was solid axle equipped or purchasing a custom built front axle
mine is from a 1980 jeep wagoneer

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Great work as always Aaron... When I first saw the shackles I thought they were for the second gen. Got specs on the leafs?

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
huh i thought i posted those up in the first gen section under "new stuff" ?

pro-comp explorer toyota rear leaf springs 310 spring rate 33311 is the part #

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well after mathsters post it got me thinking , i did have 1/2" shackles on there before so why go down to 3/8"
so i made a new set of shackles out of 1/2" , man that stuff was fun to bend lol

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
It's not uncommon, I've seen quite a few like that. Any time the shackle mount is wider than the leaf spring you're going to have this.

Way to go Aaron, looks good...and strong. Interesting bump stops.
I have seen shackles that are offset, just more straight. not like the ones pictured where teh offset was fully flat.
well after mathsters post it got me thinking , i did have 1/2" shackles on there before so why go down to 3/8"
so i made a new set of shackles out of 1/2" , man that stuff was fun to bend lol
I bet 1/2" was fun to bend. Carbon steel? Maybe weld in some gussets. if its an alloy steel, itll probably be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the reason i had to go fully flat is because of the shackle mount thru the frame and the width of the springs , if i would have gone less angle i would have had to of had 8-9" long shackles in order to offset both plates

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Eh, its 1/2" gussets aren't a requirement on steel that thick. My tow hooks are made of that with no gussets and have yet to bend. I'm sure they see more torque on them than a shackle mount will.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
wow! 1/2"

I have 12" shackles on my truck made of .120

I would gusset on the side with the bend facing to the outside/bottom. This is the only place I see this failing at the bend from the stress when you shaped it.

^ with this you're more less gusseting both bends without any clearance issues on the inside of the shackle.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
just link it already. :thefinger:

lookin good. those are some beefy shackles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts