Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Rattling Door

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Frijolero 
#1 ·
Anyone have issues with a first gen door?

When im driving down the road and hit some bumps the drives door sounds like its loose from the frame. It doesn't move with the body so to speak.

Is this common for the 1st gens, anyone have ideas as to the cause?

Thank you for your time.

#7 ·
Mine too but they have been like that since I bought it about 70k miles ago. I just figured it was an inherent property of the truck.

Any one else have this issue?

Anyone have issues with a first gen door?

When im driving down the road and hit some bumps the drives door sounds like its loose from the frame. It doesn't move with the body so to speak.

Is this common for the 1st gens, anyone have ideas as to the cause?

Thank you for your time.
The window rattling may also be your issue.

#8 ·
i thought i was the only one with rattling windows.. on mine the rubber that surrounds the window has dried up and doesnt support the window at all. When its half way it rattles like a mutha! The dealer wants 76 bucks a piece for that surround weather strpping.

#12 ·
Check the striker pin that the door latch closes around. One of the rear doors on my 2nd Gen was terribly mis-aligned at the factory. The 2nd Gens need a Torx socket to adjust. Don't remove the Torx screws, just loosen them enough to adjust the striker.

As you close the door, you'll be able to see if you have things right.

#13 ·
I was thinking something along the lines of the striker myself. It made me think the door wasn't being held tight enough. Not too much of an issue but I had an 01 blazer and the doors were an F'n nightmare on that thing. Don't want the same to happen to my Fronty.

Haven't had the chance to tear into the door yet, have no idea what im gonna find once im in.

#15 ·
The door itself rattles, I think the window track is loose or worn out. I read a post once saying that the plastic parts inside the door will wear out and mine is ten years old now.

But the door itself will "rattle". Best way I can describe it is it sounds like you are driving with the door not shut all the way. Only the door is shut completely and you can only hear that when you hit the bumps in the road.

It was suggested to tighten the bolts inside the door connecting it to the hinges, then to check the striker itself. But another thing came to mind. Would the weather stripping cause the door to not shut tightly? Like if its too big?. When I bought the truck I noticed that the seals on each door were jet black and very "fluffy". Like they are brand new.

#16 ·
I dont think new seals could be causing the rattling. On the contrary this would create for less slack and be more likely to make the door fit tighter when it closes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.