Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time back now I cut out the secondary cats on my truck and I got better MPG's and my truck was way louder, exactly what I wanted. There was a tiny bit of a rattle sound that I would hear at certain RPM's but only under load. So I decided that it was a frequency rattle and checked all of my heat shields. As time went on it got worse and worse. Finally it got to the point that I wouldn't shift so that I wouldn't hit those RPM's. I took it to a friends shop and we found that it was the muffler gone bad. Something inside the muffler had broken or somehow become unattached and was rattling in there. So I called up Banks and they sent me a new one. I got it all installed and the rattle was gone. Now I have been driving for a few days and it is slightly coming back. I'm wondering if the extra heat from the cats being gone is damaging that muffler. I would like to hear from some of you guys that have cut those cats out and what do you have for a muffler. I was considering going with a CherryBomb Extreme if this one doesn't work out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gained about 1.5-2mpg. And I have no sound clips because, a. I have no video camera or sound recorder, and b. It sounded fuc*ing terrible so I had no interest in reliving it. Now that I installed another muffler, it's quite again.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
you have the calmini lift, yes? you are using the shackles with it, yes? the reason im asking is if you put the bolt with the remainder pointing towards the inside of the truck, it hits the tail pipe, causing some vibration and noise issues. they are non damaging, but get really annoying. after about a year and a half of it buggin the chit out of me i finally cut off the exhaust just infront of the resonator. cutting of the bolt would work too, but i was hoping the exhaust note would get a little more soundy. it didnt. just throwin that out there for you

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I am just amazed that Banks shipped you a new muffler. Did you pay for it or was it a warranty thing?

Side Note: Does anyone else remember the pic of the banks sticker on the toilet?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll have to check on bolts touching, but I don't think there are. When I did the lift, I just cut about 18" off of the exhaust and welded it back on when I was done working on it. It's weird that I still hear it but it's quiet now. I'm thinking about just getting a new muffler, like a cherrybomb pro or extreme. Or trying out the JBA one.

Also, Banks shipped it under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts