Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to post this so that it may help others.

I went to start my truck today and all I got was a bunch of rapid clicks from the starter. I wasn't sure if it was the battery or the starter or something "stuck" in place. I came inside and booted up the computer. I googled it and most people said it was either the starter solenoid or the battery. I tested the battery and it was around 10volts give or take so I figured that was it. AAA came to test the battery and to give me a jump. AAA confirmed the battery was dead and then jumped the truck. It fired instantly without hesitation. I went to WalMart to get a new battery since they offer the 24F with a 3yr free replacement. Total cost was ~84 bucks out the door and about 1.5hrs of my time waiting for AAA and the WalMart Tech to install the battery. I figured this was my best bet because WalMart is nationwide and are open 24hrs in most places.

The only downside of this was that I wish it had more CCAs but they are only offered in the Northern States (WalMart stores).

Hopefully this will help someone else out who may have this symptom one morning and doesn't know what to do.

P.S. I blame this on 06_Footy since he started the battery thread about 2 weeks ago, lol.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
As you are in FL you definitely don't need or want more CCA because there is a compromise in durability (plates are thinner so that they can put in more, I think it is). Hell, the stocker in mine churns through the oil up here in the winter as if it were summer temps.

I've had great luck with Wal Mart batteries. Got one for $29.99 (their cheapest) for the other car back in '00 or something and it is still doing great. Their prices have really shot up dramatically though!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
guess I have to blame 06-Footy as well :) because I never had a problem with my factory battery until Wednesday but it did the same thing you described and when I had a buddy jump it, it fired right up. It now has a Duralast gold from Autozone.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
had the same thing happen to me about a month or soo ago.....damn man nissan uses shi**y parts....mudyfront05 hot *** pic.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I live in FL but go to the Carolina's and Tennessee and Kentucky during the winter months to visit some family so I would prefer to have the extra CCAs. Also, I am glad that it happened now instead of during the winter.

I still have it funny, 06_footy still hasn't posted in this thread, lol.

I have to also ask, has anyone else had this happen to their other vehicles? I know when the battery in my Cavalier died, it was about 45deg outside that morning after sitting all night and barely starting the night before. It didn't make any noise but the lights worked. I was just thrown off a bit when the starter solenoid would try to engage but didn't have enough to do it fully.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Nissan batteries are not maintenance free. You need to pop the caps occasionally and check the cell levels.
If the top of a battery has a wet or damp surface, it's on it's way out. My Titans battery died at 18 months old. I go to Sears for my replacements because there are all over should I have an issue.
Costco sell Optima batteries if anyone needs one of those.

Clint

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Well, I live in FL but go to the Carolina's and Tennessee and Kentucky during the winter months to visit some family so I would prefer to have the extra CCAs. Also, I am glad that it happened now instead of during the winter.

I have to also ask, has anyone else had this happen to their other vehicles? I know when the battery in my Cavalier died, it was about 45deg outside that morning after sitting all night and barely starting the night before. It didn't make any noise but the lights worked. I was just thrown off a bit when the starter solenoid would try to engage but didn't have enough to do it fully.
^That's so wrong Lmao !!!!

I didnt mean to jinx you man. I promise :nana:

My battery made that same damn clicking noise. Then it would sorta turn on then shut off as soon as i got excited it was turning. The thing that got me about the Walmart batteries. Is the one i got has only 530Watts w/ a 1yr warranty. Which the standard Nissan one has 575Watts w/ a 5yr warranty. Which gets at me but its fine because that just means. That i will be converting this truck to a dual battery set-up soon. Plus it only cost me $50 and with everything i had to get for my truck this month. It helped with my pockets some.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A dual battery is kinda useless for me but I have thought about a relocation kit so I can put it under the bed. I just havn't gone down the route nor have I changed my exhaust so its all in due time.

I like the Sears idea but WalMart is 24 so that is what won it over for me.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
^What CCA is your walmart battery ?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, its dark now but I will check tomorrow when it is light out and will post back then. Receipt is also in the truck so I can't reference that either.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
^Cool deal

·
Super Moderator
19,583 Posts
Weak batteries kill starters all of the time. It's a good thing that you replaced your battery right away Dubie. I replaced mine a few months ago because I usually only keep the OEM battery 2-3 years anyway. I bought a Diehard Platinum.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to post this so that it may help others.

I went to start my truck today and all I got was a bunch of rapid clicks from the starter. I wasn't sure if it was the battery or the starter or something "stuck" in place. I came inside and booted up the computer. I googled it and most people said it was either the starter solenoid or the battery. I tested the battery and it was around 10volts give or take so I figured that was it. AAA came to test the battery and to give me a jump. AAA confirmed the battery was dead and then jumped the truck. It fired instantly without hesitation. I went to WalMart to get a new battery since they offer the 24F with a 3yr free replacement. Total cost was ~84 bucks out the door and about 1.5hrs of my time waiting for AAA and the WalMart Tech to install the battery. I figured this was my best bet because WalMart is nationwide and are open 24hrs in most places.

The only downside of this was that I wish it had more CCAs but they are only offered in the Northern States (WalMart stores).

Hopefully this will help someone else out who may have this symptom one morning and doesn't know what to do.

P.S. I blame this on 06_Footy since he started the battery thread about 2 weeks ago, lol.
get's me worried cause i have a 2006 frontier with 60k miles and on the OEM battery... how many miles did you have on your 07?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have just over 44k.

I remember Nizmut stating that he is still rockin the OEM battery in his 05 and it has been thru snow and intense heat with lights and everything so....

Its a crap shoot. I am just glad mine lasted this long but with the lack of maintance and florida heat, I knew it was only time before it died. It also had a crappy start the day before in the afternoon but was fine in the evening but sitting over night is what did it.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
get's me worried cause i have a 2006 frontier with 60k miles and on the OEM battery... how many miles did you have on your 07?
Yeah my 06 OEM battery had 53k before it died. That was mostly from sitting for the months it did. Otheriwse i know i couldve gotten it to the 56-60k mark.

Make sure your positive battery terminal assembly is clean of debree and corrosion. If it is dirty. Just get a wire brush. Then some light clorox and water then scrub. Also get some battery cleaner. Where you take the ugly dirt and grim off the actual terminals. You can get them from Autozone.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to say that the battery states that it has CCAs of 875 and 700 so I assume it is 875 normally and then down to 700 when it is really cold outside.

Either way thou, it will be put to the test this winter in the mountains of North Carolina.

I do wish they offered the higher CCA batteries in the Southern states as they do in the Northern states. I figured if it fails, I am only 30 mins from WallyWorld so I can just swap it out for a battery there. Yea, it sucks becuase it is a hassle but atleast it will be free, lol.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
^Just went out to the truck and looked at the battery. It has 660 cca 32*f. With 530 cca at cold start. With a 2yr warranty. Not too shabby for $50 dollars.

I'll just go back to Wally World in the next month or so and get me one like you have. Then figure out where in my engine compartment a awesome place would be for a my now battery. Since its abit slimer than the stock unit.

Just wanted to say that the battery states that it has CCAs of 875 and 700 so I assume it is 875 normally and then down to 700 when it is really cold outside.

Either way thou, it will be put to the test this winter in the mountains of North Carolina.

I do wish they offered the higher CCA batteries in the Southern states as they do in the Northern states. I figured if it fails, I am only 30 mins from WallyWorld so I can just swap it out for a battery there. Yea, it sucks becuase it is a hassle but atleast it will be free, lol.
What CCA do the other states have ??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts