Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nice story; I like this thread.

Not to your main point but I was curious enough about this trick' to look through the User manual and then the Transmission section of the Service manual for more information, despite my truck having a manual transmission. While I did find an A/T Shift Lock System description I could not find reference to this hidden slot. On the thought this is common on auto trannies I am going to check out my daughter's Mazda at my next opportunity as this would be a handy thing to know how to do, so your 'random act of kindness' may carry further than you originally thought. Thanks

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The only reason that this trick was fresh on my mind was that I just bought a used 2013 Honda Fit Sport Automatic for my daughter and happened to read of this in the Owner's Manual. My wife and I both drive 6-Speed manuals, so I'm largely in the dark on automatics of all kinds.

As an aside, my daughter's Fit has paddle shifters for optional use. They're kind of fun to mess with. You can use them at any time while in [D] or when in the transmission is almost totally dependent on driver inputs, although it won't allow anything stupid. It's not like a true manual, but at least it invites driver involvement. My daughter is quite competent on a manual transmission, so has an appreciation for the paddle shifters.

Honda has a less than stellar reputation for automatic transmission reliability, so my first job on her Fit will be to replace the transmission fluid and filter. At 60,000 Miles, it's probably a good idea anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,047 Posts
Now a question! What might have caused his shifter to lock up and what happens mechanically when the key is inserted in the slot?

Thank you.
Battery discharged or electronic unlock process (switch, wiring, etc) broken is my guess. The auto fronty requires the brake to be depressed (and maybe some other criteria as well, key position, etc) in order to shift out of park. I believe this shifter unlock process is electronic. So if the battery on the fronty is dead, even with the brake depressed and other criteria met, it will not shift out of park requiring the need for your special trick, which mechanically overrides the electronic lock. I believe that's how it works anyway, I have not yet had to do this myself.

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Had a great day with my sons today by having them being involved in helping strangers.

* we drove all over town through 6" snow and gave poinsettias to widows. Both my boys and these women loved it.

* while getting a few hot chocolates and a coffee, we paid for the truck behind us order. Have no clue who they were but got a wave.

* my sons once again took money they have saved all year and bought warm and dry clothing for the homeless and needy here in our small town. I match their savings and that equated to over $300. I am proud of those little guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Had a great day with my sons today by having them being involved in helping strangers.

* we drove all over town through 6" snow and gave poinsettias to widows. Both my boys and these women loved it.

* while getting a few hot chocolates and a coffee, we paid for the truck behind us order. Have no clue who they were but got a wave.

* my sons once again took money they have saved all year and bought warm and dry clothing for the homeless and needy here in our small town. I match their savings and that equated to over $300. I am proud of those little guys.
Philippians 2:4
James 1:27
:angel:

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The store next to my Post Office had cheap tulips on sale, I picked up several bushels and took them to one of my neighbours that is a lonely widow; as of late she has lost her son, one of her daughters, her husband (who was a good friend of mine), and now her other daughter is dying of cancer. I figured she probably hasn't had a man give her flowers in a long time unless death was involved. She was very happy to get them.

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Had a bunch of little random acts yesterday. I was waiting for a ferry and an older couple had missed their sailing as their battery was dead in their car. So, I got out my jumper cables and got them going, plus tightened the battery terminals. Then when I got on board the next ferry hours later, there was an elder woman that could not get between cars because her walker was too wide. So, I lifted and carried her walker over to the elevator while her daughter helped her walk. Later, I went to the upper deck to have a smoke and just as I rounded a corner, a couple was walking when suddenly the woman's sun glasses blew off her head from the strong wind and was rifling towards going overboard under the hand rails. I ran over and blocked her shades in true Canadian goalie fashion and there was cheering and high fives from others watching. It was just my turn to help again, I guess. :laugh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just noticed this thread for the first time, nice idea. For me personally, I think (and no offense intended to anyone here) that for me at least, it makes me a bit uncomfortable to talk about acts of random kindness I've done. I prefer to do my acts and keep them private. That being said, I would like to mention one that happened to me though.

When I was 17 (1977-ish) I was driving up the turnpike in my old '68 VW Beetle, headed from Miami to New Smyrna Beach with about $50 in my pocket, a distance of about 250 miles. I was driving up to visit a friend of mine and about halfway there, the alternator/fan belt broke. Although those Beetles were air-cooled, they need the fan blowing over the cylinder heads or they'll overheat and cook. So I pulled over on the side of the turnpike and started walking. I figured I would walk to the next service plaza and make a phone call to my dad and see if he could drive up and hitch my car to his truck. This was before cell phones and such.

About a 1/4 mile down the road, a guy pulls up just ahead of me in a big red Cadillac. I've never been one to hitchhike and of course we know don't accept rides from strangers. But, he offered to give me a ride to help. He asked me where I was going and I told him. Long story short, he not only drove me to my turnpike exit, he drove me all the way to my buddy's house and refused to take any payment either for his time, gas or tolls. He simply told me to "pass it on." I was so grateful that I live by that mantra as much as possible today.

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just noticed this thread for the first time, nice idea. For me personally, I think (and no offense intended to anyone here) that for me at least, it makes me a bit uncomfortable to talk about acts of random kindness I've done. I prefer to do my acts and keep them private. That being said, I would like to mention one that happened to me though.
I hear you on the sentiment. I have seen similar threads on other forums and I found that when good is shared, more people open up and share more good. Often forums can focus on propagating negativity towards one another - so a little reminder that we can spend little effort to be nice is a welcome reminder that we all have it in us.

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Taught my son a good lesson today - I found a woman's wallet in an empty cart left in the middle of the Walmart parking lot, so I tried to call her house but no answer, so I dropped it off at the RCMP detachment. My son was initially surprised she would leave her wallet laying around with $150 in it, as that is a lot of money in his mind, which I told him is exactly why we need to return it to her; it is the honest and right thing to do regardless of the money.

The woman called me later in the day, overjoyed and surprised we returned everything to her including her money - turns out, she is a senior that works for a non-profit organization and she is always giving to others in our community without asking for anything in return, and no one has ever done anything so nice for her. I said "well, you can't say no one anymore." She wanted to get my address to send us something, but I refused and let her know that chivalry is not dead, and I am raising my boys in the belief that good things happen to good people, so act accordingly. It sounds like it was past her turn.

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
Good job, pops. :angel:

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I love these kinds of stories...

Well here is mine.
I was driving to work a few days ago, I usually work the evening shift.
I was only driving about 20 MPH on the street when all of the sudden a squirrel ran out in front of me, so I slowed down and give the little guy time to run accross the street to meet the chicken.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been lucky enough to own my own business so I am able to give back.
I started a search and rescue team, we recently had a 13 year old autistic boy run away from home in my area and I put a call for volunteers to my neighbors and with 1 hour there were over 100 people on site ready to go. By the time he was found SAFE there were over 375 registered volunteers.

I have used my Frontier in many searches including in South Carolina during hurricane Florence (the truck was just days old). I was able to help rescue over 100 people during my time there.
If any of my fellow PA Club Frontier members want to volunteer I am always looking for help.
You can contact me through the website at: SearchTeam1.org
Joe

41 - 56 of 56 Posts