Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I hope that it will stay near the top too Zedbra .... I did not know that it existed, of course I have not been around here all that long. What you and the wife are doing with your boys is great! They will grow up with those values ..... bravo sir.

Helping others, paying it forward or whatever you want to call it does not always have to take a monetary donation. My family gives back to our community at every opportunity possible, or boys are grown and on their own with wives and children but they make us proud by following the values that we gave them as kids and helping others. We volunteer for every habitat home being built, we help with the free reading program at the local library, we read once a week at local retirement homes (my wife is a school teacher what I can I say). For many years I ran a free website dedicated to high school baseball (and college recruiting for the fortunate few) .... We will help serve Christmas dinner at a local shelter for the 23rd straight year. We have already been Salvation Army bell ringers once this year and have another date that will "ring" again as well.

We do things that require money donations as well. Since our boys are grown we now select 2 youth angel tree names and 2 senior angel tree names (they have senior trees in our area) .... We donate time and money to send all three of the 3rd grade classes at my wife's school to the zoo each year. I always pay for the person(s) behind me in a drive thru. Of course there are "Coats for the Cold" .... putting flags on the military grave sites for the Veterans Day, Memorial Day, etc. holidays

There are 1,000's of ways to donate or help out ...... We find that it becomes kind of a selfish thing. We get as much out of it as the people that we think that we are helping .... in many cases they are really helping us ::smile::
Sounds like you and wife are very good people, I'd love to have a drink with you sometime. I particularly like your last paragraph (which I made bold) - it is so true.

Why can't this be made into a "Sticky" Zedbra? The two stickies at the top of this forum have not been accessed since the end of 2014 ... this topic is 100% worthy. Just my 2 cents worth
Doing it now, thanks. Let's keep it going, CF.

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Our local shelter has created a "Recycle Bicycle" program - it takes used bikes, teaches jobless people how to fix them, and then donates them to those that can't afford a bike. SO my boys and I loaded up a few of their old bikes and also picked up a few from a friend and delivered them to see a better future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Our local shelter has created a "Recycle Bicycle" program - it takes used bikes, teaches jobless people how to fix them, and then donates them to those that can't afford a bike. SO my boys and I loaded up a few of their old bikes and also picked up a few from a friend and delivered them to see a better future.
Very cool!

·
Registered
469 Posts
For my daughters first birthday we requested (we printed it on the invitations) that people bring a gift to donate rather than a gift for her. We are blessed enough to be able to buy her way more toys than she needs. After the party we took a truck load of toys to our county resource center and donated them to needy families. It felt great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most recently, I was on my way in to work and a S-10 came around a corner, hit black ice, and fishtailed into my lane. I swerved to miss, and he ended up nose down in a ditch on his side of the road. His rear wheels were still on pavement but he was just spinning tires and was hopelessly stuck. I turned around and came back. The driver said his 4wd had just gone out so he couldn't move the truck. We were in a blind curve so stopping traffic was a bit difficult but another driver in a Ford F150 stopped to help also. He directed traffic to stop and I backed up hitch to hitch to the stuck truck and hooked him up using a tow strap he just happened to have, then put mine in 4wd, and pulled him right out. Now this may not seem like much of a thing to others but for me it was an awesome feeling. I had just helped get a man back on track, with hardly any loss of time, saved him a tow fee, and we were all on our way again in minutes. In the process, I had driven across road into a muddy field (just a two lane road), and traffic had began to flow again after my new buddies had already gone, so now I'm the one held up. But a power company truck that had been in waiting traffic and saw this happen decided to pull into both lanes and hold it up for me so I could get out on the road again. I thanked them and went on. The whole experience left me with such a positive feeling, and more love for this truck than ever. I just wanted to share with other Frontier owners.

·
Banned
929 Posts
I took 2 dozen donuts to trashmen and trash truck drivers. One of them was in town from 200 miles away and didn't have a car so I took him to buy cigarettes. It's amazing how thankful people are who aren't used to people being nice to them.

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It was the second nice day of spring so I was doing all kinds of chores around the yard. I live in a quiet neighbourhood and usually say hello to anyone that passes. Up the road was coming a father and son on bikes, the little one on a small bike with training wheels that was much too small for him and therefore pedaling so slow the dad was having a hard time balancing at the snail's pace. I asked the father to wheel over - said I have a larger bike for his son and perhaps that would get them both moving faster and easier on the little guy's knees. He asked how much? I told him nothing - all I ask is that you pass it on to another boy that needs it when he is done. The bike was the same brand as what he had and I even quickly found the training wheels for him. The father was very grateful and it made the little boy's and his morning, to say the least.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Drizzly day today with a little wind, between Good Friday and Easter. I made a run to Lowes to buy a sprinkler head. On the way I noticed in passing someone in a wheelchair on the sidewalk in an area without any walkers. The person was bundled up as a homeless person might be. Couple hours later had to make second trip to Lowes to exchange wrong size sprinkler head – wheelchair person still in the same spot. I drove on by. I went about a mile and said to self, “Something is not right.” Turned around and went back. The ‘wheelchair person’ was an older lady, clearly down on her luck, perhaps homeless, and with a serious speech impediment and some palsy. I introduced myself and asked if I could be of any help. “Yes”, she said. She had run her wheelchair off the sidewalk and was stuck with two wheels in the ditch, so to speak, and had dropped several items trying to get back on the level. She had been stuck all morning. I fixed up her chair and asked what else I could do, could I take her somewhere, was she hungry, could I call someone for her? No to all, she thanked me with a smile and in a friendly way but said she was fine now her wheelchair was out of the ditch. Hmmm, Ok. Off I went. Got about a mile again and pulled over, called 911. With my description the 911 guy immediately knew who I was talking about. Authorities have offered help many times but she declines and manages by herself, somehow.

Where are her children, her people? She should be singing in a choir tomorrow morning with her family and friends in the audience. It's getting dark and chilly now and I don't know where she might be. I can’t get her out of my mind.

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I posted this in the Clubhouse, but maybe I'll drop it here as well. This thread needs a bump and I like to share smiles.

I'm working from home today so I went with my wife to drop off our boys at school. One of the teachers asked me to wait a second, she wanted to show me something; she rushed into the staff room and came out with this photocopy of my son's journal entry (which we had not seen yet). She said all of the teachers have been enjoying this one in private. It put a little tear in my eye when I saw it, I'm proud of my little guy. (who's not so little at age 7).

*** I should add that we are not a religious household, we have neither baptized our children nor taken them to church ever. We do, however, teach them about all things and all religions, and from losing my father we had to teach them about God and Heaven - whatever that may be.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I love this thread. I love reading about how there are so many of you that go out of your way to help others. Was out washing the truck the other day when the guy who lives next door came out on his porch and started chatting with me while I worked. He is an elderly black man who just got out of the hospital not too long ago. He owns a Ford Explorer and mentioned to me that he needed to wash his as well. Once I finished, I told him to pull his around, and I washed and waxed his car for him. A little bit of kindness touches both the giver and the receiver. :)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Do y'all ever give to panhandlers? I do sometimes, but rarely. Last week I was at the grocery store with my wife and I parked (as usual) far out in the lot to keep my Frontier door-dent free. Anyway, a 30-something woman walked up crying and talking at a rapid rate about her husband (gestures over to a stationary hulk sitting in a beat up old Mercedes) and her child, then began to open her flip phone to show us photos of some sort and I'd finally had enough of the weirdness. I told her that I'd lost interest and she acted incredulous. I said no and we left.

The incident stuck in my mind for days wondering if she was truly needy or if it was an act. We live in a metro area where all sorts of civic help is available. My wife said that this parking lot is also popular with the "I need gas money to get home" crowd, which is amusing because the grocery store is 5+ miles distant from the Interstate exit. Who'd exit the Interstate and drive past all kinds of gas stations and stop at a store without any gas stations nearby to ask for gas money?

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Do y'all ever give to panhandlers? I do sometimes, but rarely. Last week I was at the grocery store with my wife and I parked (as usual) far out in the lot to keep my Frontier door-dent free. Anyway, a 30-something woman walked up crying and talking at a rapid rate about her husband (gestures over to a stationary hulk sitting in a beat up old Mercedes) and her child, then began to open her flip phone to show us photos of some sort and I'd finally had enough of the weirdness. I told her that I'd lost interest and she acted incredulous. I said no and we left.

The incident stuck in my mind for days wondering if she was truly needy or if it was an act. We live in a metro area where all sorts of civic help is available. My wife said that this parking lot is also popular with the "I need gas money to get home" crowd, which is amusing because the grocery store is 5+ miles distant from the Interstate exit. Who'd exit the Interstate and drive past all kinds of gas stations and stop at a store without any gas stations nearby to ask for gas money?
Sadly, I don't. living in a big city for 39 years has shown me that most of the time the story they are telling you is a line of you know what. You start asking details and they get angry or it starts to not add up. I have offered a bottle of water or whatever snack food I had on me and have been told a few times where I could put said items. :frown: There are plenty of programs out there for food and shelter and even more if they are indeed a vet (as some signs say they are) so, again, sadly, no.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Having to leave base and go out into the city of Djibouti for materials, the extreme poor are everywhere. Usually it's very small children mimicking for food or water. This isn't like Iraq or Afghanistan where there are pallets of water everywhere on base. On base you need a water bottle to fill up at various water stations.

We did have 4 or 5 large pallets of cased water come back from the Marines that frequently train in the area. I'm going to start bringing a couple cases of water to hand out when down town.

It's sad having a 5 or 6 year old walk right up to the window of our vehicle asking for food. Last time I was out I gave 2 little girls a Gatorade and a Cliff Bar. They seemed happy.

Note Gatorade is still "free." The days of Cliff bars at the DFAC, or Galley as the Navy calls, it are gone.

There is very little placed on the value of life in Djibouti.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Was at the local Walmart grocery store doing some shopping. At the check out there are lanes for 20 items or less. Glancing at my selections, I see that I'm over 20 items, but not that over, maybe 27 or so. But I didn't want to be a jerk so I did not go to the 20 item or less lane but instead I carefully chose which line I would go in checking the other grocers carts to see that they were not overloaded as I didn't want to spend my Sunday afternoon standing in line at Walmart. I chose a line, and in front of me was a single person with a small child and not that many groceries in her cart. I was happy with my choice and after she had loaded her selections on the belt, I started to move forward to load my groceries next, looking around for that divider bar to place between her order and mine. Just then, A gentleman came right next to her with more children and another cart! He started handing the stuff to her from his cart. I was a little pissed but I didn't say anything, I just waited. When they were all done, the woman had used her debit card and asked for additional money back. She asked the clerk if she could have her change in two tens. The clerk said I don't have them but I have fives. The woman said that fives would be fine. Then she placed TWO fives on the counter, looked at me and said to the clerk "put this towards her order because we kind of cut in front of her". I was embarrassed, hoping that my face hadn't shown that I was pissed when her husband showed up with the other cart. I said "you don't have to do that, that is not necessary". But she left with a smile on her face. The clerk looked at me and said "she left quick so you couldn't give it back, it's $10! Wow, you don't see people like that everyday!". I took one of the fives and said to the clerk, "please put this towards the person behind me order". She looked and me questionably and I said ....# Love Up. Pay it forward. Made my day. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
A few years ago now, the homeless guy who was living in our tree outside the front gate befriended us for use of the bathroom, charge his cell phone; just little stuff. He was quite distant. A little time went by and he got more friendly. One day he offered to repair our back fence so we let him. Later, I was getting ready to remove some parts from one of my junkyard cars and he asked if he could help. I let him and I gave him a little cash and a pack of cigarettes. As time goes by, he begins to do more and more around the place. We treat him like one of the guys and we razz him when we can. After a few months (it's now winter), we let him camp in the back of a uhaul truck. He eventually set himself up with a full blown apartment in there and we just didn't rent THAT truck. Eventually uhaul noticed that truck not being rented (we have about 20 of them on any given day) and we moved our guy into an abandoned camper out back. Today, he is working at the auto repair across the street. He's cleaned up and he recently bought a truck, got it smog tested and registered.
When he first showed up, we didn't know exactly what to do to help him. We didn't give him much. What we did was treat him like a person. It's been two years now and the transformation is astounding.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I don't donate to charities because I don't know which to trust and if the money I donate will ever make a difference. What I do is look on Kijiji, like craigslist but I think just in Canada. I look in the ads for people who need things. One women who had just recently become a single mother and moved to our town was asking for a mattress because she didn't have a "big boy" bed for her son, and no means to purchase one. I went to the local mattress shop and purchased a new one for her, then emailed her to call the mattress store to arrange delivery (I paid). The mattress store was great and sold it to me at their cost, which is what I find most places do when you tell them what you're doing. I do this anonymously, anonymous email address, and always pay cash. I like to know that somehow I'm making a difference in someone else's life, especially someone who has hit a road bump and really just needs a break.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I posted this in the Clubhouse, but maybe I'll drop it here as well. This thread needs a bump and I like to share smiles.

I'm working from home today so I went with my wife to drop off our boys at school. One of the teachers asked me to wait a second, she wanted to show me something; she rushed into the staff room and came out with this photocopy of my son's journal entry (which we had not seen yet). She said all of the teachers have been enjoying this one in private. It put a little tear in my eye when I saw it, I'm proud of my little guy. (who's not so little at age 7).

*** I should add that we are not a religious household, we have neither baptized our children nor taken them to church ever. We do, however, teach them about all things and all religions, and from losing my father we had to teach them about God and Heaven - whatever that may be.

I love this. From the looks of it you guys have taught them well. Take those kids to church and let them soak in some more of that Christian spirit. If they're randomly writing about it I'd say they're longing for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I was fueling the Frontier today and looked over to a busy side road and noticed an old Honda car had stopped stone cold on the hill. People were honking at the driver who couldn't start or move his car. I finished up, moved the Frontier away from the pumps and walked over to see if I could be of any help.

I asked what was wrong and he said the car had stalled and that he couldn't move the automatic transmission floor shifter from Park. I pointed out a tiny access panel in the shifter console and asked if he had a small screwdriver to open it. Fortunately he had just what was needed. When he opened it I asked him to then press his key down into the slot under the panel and then shift into Neutral.

The shifter moved and I held traffic so that he could roll back a hundred feet onto a grassy area.

He was VERY thankful and said he never knew of that trick. In fact, he walked away, then turned back to thank me again.

Now a question! What might have caused his shifter to lock up and what happens mechanically when the key is inserted in the slot?

Thank you.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts