Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen other forums with similar threads and I find it is always nice to see/hear kind stories about humanity versus the regular gripes. So, share here the good deed you've done for the day. I'll start.

I went for breakfast with a client this morning and we met at this greasy spoon he likes to visit - good food, large tables so we can spread out paperwork. Anyways, an elder woman with a stroller came into the restaurant, she even needed the waitress to open the door for her as she couldn't let go of her stroller.

While my client was gabbing away, I was half listening to him and half listening to this woman ordering; she was asking the waitress how much toast would cost and how much a coffee would cost and did the coffee come with a refill?

After our meeting was over, I went to the back of the restaurant where the waitresses gather to bring out food, asked the one girl if she was serving this older woman and she said she was indeed. So, I pulled out a $10 bill and asked if that would cover her meal? The waitress smiled ear to ear and said it was more than enough. I never told the woman what I did.

We left the restaurant out back, chatted some more, and by the time I was leaving in my car the older woman was outside walking slowly. She saw me, stopped, smiled and waved quickly. Made me smile all afternoon.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'll try to keep it going as this is too much of a coincidence to pass up. McDonalds drive thru this morning getting coffee. 2 lanes for ordering. I order and start to pull forward. Driver next to me also pulls forward at about the same time. Pretty sure I was first and I had the inside lane, so I kept on, they yielded to me. 75% sure it was me first. Look in my rear view mirror and see its a young gal with 2 little kids loaded up. Its about 6:15AM and 22° outside, last thing she probably wanted was some inconsiderate schmuck racing her to the first window. So I paid for my coffee & bought their breakfast. Didn't look back so as to not creep her out. Cashier thought it was nice.

Mentioned this to a co-worker this morning who advised WalMart now carries McCafe coffee for my Keurig machine, so officially (for the 19th time) I have no use for McDonalds anymore.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well I'm usually not a philanthropist but a local 6-year-old girl was sent home from kindergarten Monday with a fever and passed away in her sleep on the living room couch. From the reports her family are Chinese immigrants who came to the US in 2005 seeking a better life and found Oologah, OK - a small town of 1,100 and the birthplace of Will Rogers. She was the youngest of 5 children.

Family Of Oologah Girl Who Died Suddenly Seeks Help, Answers - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Go fund me if you have an extra few bucks, I just donated anonymously myself. I'm sure the family isn't financially prepared to deal with this tragedy.

Funeral expense for nkauj ntshiab by Aaron Yang - GoFundMe

·
Registered
14 Posts
i don't know how people here Chive, but RAK can go a LONG ways. a few dollars can make a huge difference to people even if its not needed, just to know there are still good people out there willing to think about someone else in a selfish society.

good job guys and keep it up. ill challenge everyone that reads this to do at least one RAK in the next week that you normally wouldn't do.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Was driving down the road to work today and saw 2 guys trying to push their Dodge Ram up a slight hill due to their car not being able to start back up. Decided to pull over and give them a hand with pushing it off to the side of the road. When I approached them they looked surprised I was there to help haha. Made my day knowing I made someone else's.

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was passed by a Nissan Altima this morning that had Washington plates on it. I caught up to it at a red light and noticed that the fuel door was open and the cap bouncing around. So, at the red light I decided to hop out and to twist that on and close their fuel door. The old couple inside at first looked scared but then were smiling and waving so much that they were holding up traffic when the light was green. lol.

·
Administrator
7,854 Posts
You're like BC's version of Beaver Cleaver :thumbsup:
Such a nice boy!

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People in BC are nice. If I did that here I would probably get stabbed.
They don't like you getting close to their stash. ;)

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of days ago, I took an adjustable cane to the Masonic Bureau for a donation and picked up a wheel chair for someone in town to borrow throughout the summer. Paying it forward karma feels good.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Some time ago I stopped at a McDonalds for a coffee and noticed a Hispanic family trying to start a tired old car without success. They appeared to be without many resources. As I walked past, I saw that their car had a manual transmission. I asked the Dad if we could try to push start it. There was a language barrier and he was a bit confused, but he followed my instructions as I pushed the car.

Fortune smiled and the car fired right up.

There were smiles from everyone in the family and off they went, hopefully remembering that South Carolinians help people in need.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Couple summers back me and my younger sister were coming back for Port A both burnt crispy. I was about to pass a Mercedes and noticed that her front tire was about to blow and noticed she had kids, I back off when I did it blew. I pulled over has she did I told her to stay in the car with the kids and pulled her luggage out of trunk to get the spare out and changed it. She was trying to give money but I refused it.

Another time was filling up at the gas station when I noticed a old couple in a beaten up metro counting quarters trying to making ends meet. I went inside and gave the clerk 20.00 for the couples. When I left the husband was crying in joy as he was filling up.

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm bringing this thread back, I wish it always stayed near the top, to be honest.

I was telling my children (only 7 and 5 years old)that next year, in lieu of giving me something for Christmas, I wanted my sons to do something/give something to people that need assistance. My eldest said, "Why wait? I have money in my piggy bank." I told them I would match whatever they decided to donate, so off they ran, shook those banks and decided that they would give $10 each (that was all that was in my youngest son's, he keeps giving money away as it means nothing to him now).

I had spoken to Helping Hands (a local charity here in my small town that acts as a Food Bank / shelter) yesterday about what items they may need as I am trying to facilitate some free labour to rebuild their kitchen, but they did say that they needed warm clothes for men, as the local Women's Shelter takes care of the women and children quite well. With that in mind, we headed out to find a shop in town.

My eldest thought that Mark's Work Warehouse would have the best warm stuff, and he wanted to get a 'sweater like his', so in we go, and the manager happened to be near the front and asked if she could help find something? I explained what we were doing and she paused, looked at my little guys, and then she had a little welling in the eyes, which made me get a little teary as well. She said she could certainly help us out and she did.

I bumped in a bit more, but Mark's gave us 4 pairs of some Heat socks, 4 scarves, a pair of gloves, and a nice thick $70 sweater/hoodie (just like my sons) for $60. On the way to Helping Hands, we stopped at my wife's work and they donated 4 toques to their box and mom was quite proud of her little men; as am I. Doing good by people is contagious - pass it on.

http://squamishhelpinghands.ca/

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I was coming back from a stripe bass fishing trip in northern California.I was in my 1992 Ford diesel.Evidently I had a slow radiator leak and when I hit the Grapevine it over heated.Waiting to let it cool down a young Hispanic pulled up behind me and handed me jug of water.All I could say was"gracias,muy amable".l told my friend that that was strange.He said it was "karma"for all the times you stopped and helped people in Baja.

·
Banned
125 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was at a stoplight behind a guy in a Charger who was holding a sheet of plywood out his window with one hand. I jumped out, asked him if I could throw it in the bed of my truck and follow him home. He said yes, I did it, and saved him from tearing up his car, hurting himself, and possibly others.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I have been dealing with some health issues lately.My gardener brought over home made tamales for me Thursday.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I donated a couple $ to this fella:
Evicted veteran Johnnie Hodges getting his home back - City & Region - The Buffalo News

When I was contracting in Baghdad Iraq, I noticed the PX had Tan Left Hand Beretta 92 Safariland 6004 Holsters on sale for $7 each. Figure that's a $100 holster normally.

Being a lefty and seeing the crap that the Army issued for holsters, I shipped about 30 of them out to any deployed left hander that wanted one. APO to APO, FPO, DPO = free shipping. I think the Liberty PX had a whole container of those holsters.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I hope that it will stay near the top too Zedbra .... I did not know that it existed, of course I have not been around here all that long. What you and the wife are doing with your boys is great! They will grow up with those values ..... bravo sir.

Helping others, paying it forward or whatever you want to call it does not always have to take a monetary donation. My family gives back to our community at every opportunity possible, or boys are grown and on their own with wives and children but they make us proud by following the values that we gave them as kids and helping others. We volunteer for every habitat home being built, we help with the free reading program at the local library, we read once a week at local retirement homes (my wife is a school teacher what I can I say). For many years I ran a free website dedicated to high school baseball (and college recruiting for the fortunate few) .... We will help serve Christmas dinner at a local shelter for the 23rd straight year. We have already been Salvation Army bell ringers once this year and have another date that we will "ring" again as well.

We do things that require money donations as well. Since our boys are grown we now select 2 youth angel tree names and 2 senior angel tree names (they have senior trees in our area) .... We donate time and money to send all three of the 3rd grade classes at my wife's school to the zoo each year. I always pay for the person(s) behind me in a drive thru. Of course there are "Coats for the Cold" .... putting flags on the military grave sites for the Veterans Day, Memorial Day, etc. holidays

There are 1,000's of ways to donate or help out ...... We find that it becomes kind of a selfish thing. We get as much out of it as the people that we think that we are helping .... in many cases they are really helping us ::smile::

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Why can't this be made into a "Sticky" Zedbra? The two stickies at the top of this forum have not been accessed since the end of 2014 ... this topic is 100% worthy. Just my 2 cents worth

1 - 20 of 56 Posts