Nissan Frontier Forum banner

901 - 909 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Power Lock for the Tailgate (11.08.14)

You know when you get in your truck, drive off, and then pull over real quick just to check if you locked the tailgate? That happened to me a lot, so I decided to install a lock actuator and have the tailgate connected to the cabin door locks. I wanted it to function like how SUVs have the dual-press option (press unlock once = only driver door gets unlocked, press unlock twice = all other doors/trunk unlock) so I ran a par of wires from the tailgate area to the left-rear passenger door lock harness. That took the most time since I loomed and wrapped the wires up first, and then ran them hidden along the frame rail. At the tailgate I installed a waterproof connector that piggybacked on top of the OEM backup camera connector. In fact, installing the actual door lock actuator was the easiest part. Total install took about 45 minutes, and the cost of all parts came out to about $15 total. Now I know that whenever I lock the doors, the tailgate will definitely be locked as well.

Added a harness with a waterproof connector in case I need to remove the tailgate.

Here’s the new harness using the same access points as the OEM backup camera harness.

Drilled a small hole in the locking mechanism to attach the actuator rod.

This was the easy part – mounting the actual door lock actuator. Took all but 5 minutes tops.
That is bad ***...

·
Premium Member
5,060 Posts
How have you been liking the new tires? Any MPG change? Even though My Duratracs still have about 9/32s after 54k miles, I've given this some thought as of late as My truck is also 90% highway. However, I still average 16+mpg and have had almost no complaints off road and in inclement weather, so, not sure it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #904
How have you been liking the new tires? Any MPG change? Even though My Duratracs still have about 9/32s after 54k miles, I've given this some thought as of late as My truck is also 90% highway. However, I still average 16+mpg and have had almost no complaints off road and in inclement weather, so, not sure it's worth it.
Honestly, the biggest positive is the lack of road drone that I didn't realize I was putting up with over the last few years from the KO2s. It got so loud that one could say it just cancelled out the effects of the Dynamat I installed LOL

Traction-wise they grip pretty good on the curvy stuff; I've been to the mountains many times in the last few months (bike park) and I was familiar with how the KO2s were on the corners. With the AT-Ms they feel just as grippy but (again) a lot less noisy. Off-road - I don't off-road hardcore. I do dirt access roads on occasion, but I don't think those will be a problem considering I see cars and SUVs driving along the same roads are doing fine on regular passenger tires.

MPG-wise I might have gained a few miles here and there; I haven't actually made it a point to compare yet but I do feel like my fill-up intervals have spaced out more. I also noticed that on the highways I'm driving slightly faster on average, maybe because I don't have to avoid the noise anymore - that can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

As for appearance, I'll admit they are not as aggressive looking as KO2s. But when it's rolling you can't even tell anyways.

I don't think I can make a complete assessment until maybe next summer after the AT-Ms have some good mileage on them... but so far, so good.

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #905
Quick new tire note: it's been raining lately in SoCal, and the AT-Ms hook up nice. Much better than I remember the KO2s (when the KO2's were new). I usually can do a small 180 slide around a U-turn where I work, but with the AT-Ms it wasn't happening (which is a good thing)

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #906
Fresh Hardware. (12.08.19)

A couple of weeks ago (just before the rainy season started here in SoCal) I took a look at my wheels and noticed that they looked “old”. Turns out that they were just fine, but really dirty with brake dust. instead of shiny gunmetal/grey, my Level 8 Bully Pro 6 wheels were looking very brown and very dull! Looking closer, I noticed that my red painted brake calipers were also dull and dirty. The original zinc-plated lug nuts were faded from being exposed to the elements for over 4 years now, and the black hub centric rings I was experimenting with during my tire swap didn’t do the look any favors. It was time to give my wheels a good cleaning and replace the worn stuff with fresh new hardware.

CONTINUE: Please continue reading the rest of this post here:
project:KEIRA - Fresh Hardware.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Looks damn good! The red hub centric ring was a nice touch

·
Registered
208 Posts
Raine...I know you've done a lot of mods. I was wondering if you've ever taken your "A Pillar" molding off on the drivers side ? I'm asking because with my bad back, I'd like to have a grab handle there like in the older Frontiers. My friends 2012 has one and it makes it easier to get myself in. My thought was that if the holes are there all I'd have to do is get and older year "A Pillar" Trim piece and a Grab Handle. The 2019's don't have the indented area needed to attach one. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #909
Raine...I know you've done a lot of mods. I was wondering if you've ever taken your "A Pillar" molding off on the drivers side ? I'm asking because with my bad back, I'd like to have a grab handle there like in the older Frontiers. My friends 2012 has one and it makes it easier to get myself in. My thought was that if the holes are there all I'd have to do is get and older year "A Pillar" Trim piece and a Grab Handle. The 2019's don't have the indented area needed to attach one. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Bob
I have. You have to unbolt the handle first by removing the little caps on the handle, there are bolts inside (I forgot the size). Remove the bolts, the handle comes off, and the A-pillar cover will pop off with a slight tug.

901 - 909 of 909 Posts