Nissan Frontier Forum banner

561 - 580 of 884 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
Hi Raine, i like the build, keira is beautiful. Question, so im looking through your build thread and not seeing detail on how you mounted the amp wood platforms to the cab floor to keep them level? Or are they floating on the higher edges of the flooring or secured and leveled in some other way? Thanks again for all the great info.
A little bit of both. They are shaped to fit within the contours of the molded floor carpet for that "floating" appearance, but they are also freestanding through some strategically placed "feet" that support the components on a solid base. Both platforms are bolted to the cabin floor with some hidden brackets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A little bit of both. They are shaped to fit within the contours of the molded floor carpet for that "floating" appearance, but they are also freestanding through some strategically placed "feet" that support the components on a solid base. Both platforms are bolted to the cabin floor with some hidden brackets.
Ok makes sense, whenever you get the opportunity, could you share a pic of those brackets and the screw length, i dont like my amp sitting on the bare carpet and very much like your platform idea. I dont do any offroading but i do drive it like its stolen so i need to secure the amp to the floor. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Ok makes sense, whenever you get the opportunity, could you share a pic of those brackets and the screw length, i dont like my amp sitting on the bare carpet and very much like your platform idea. I dont do any offroading but i do drive it like its stolen so i need to secure the amp to the floor. Thanks again
If I had a pic it would have been in the original post... can't just take one because to get to it I'd have to remove the seat, remove all the audio equip, and unbolt the top panel.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #565 (Edited)
TPMS Replacement Notes (02.02.18)

Instead of starting yet another TPMS thread, I'm going to put this here to see if this becomes a problem or not. The following is in chronological order, including the steps I used to reset my TPMS after one accidentally broke while flipping my tires.

Day 1, Friday 02/02
- Front-left OEM sensor got snagged in wheel mounting machine and broke.
- Drove home with only 3 OEM sensors on 3 of the wheels (FR/RR/RL).
- With engine on and driving, TPMS light constantly blinking (on/off/on/off)

Day 2, Saturday 02/03
- Ordered replacement from eBay, using same part# on OEM sensor.
- With engine on and driving, TPMS light still constantly blinking (on/off/on/off)

Day 3, Sunday 02/04
- With engine on and driving, TPMS light still constantly blinking (on/off/on/off)

Day 4, Monday 02/05
- New TPMS replacement arrived
- Installed new TPMS sensor to front-left position
- Adjusted tire pressures to 34/31/28/26-psi (FL/FR/RR/RL)
- Turned key to "ON" (engine not started)
- Waited for TPMS light to go from blinking to steady on
- Grounded TPMS wire 5 times in 10 seconds
- TPMS light started blinking slowly
- Drove about 15 miles on the freeway
- TPMS light stopped blinking, went back to steady on
- Arrived home, waited 4 hours for tires to cool down
- Adjusted air pressures back to 36/36/36/36-psi

Day 5, Tuesday 02/06
- Drove to work
- TPMS light is still steady on

I'm hoping I just need some more mileage before the TPMS light goes off (I've only driven about 5 miles today in city).

In the meantime I've been reading through a bunch of other related threads on the subject (including not on this forum) and I've seen some other psi numbers people used to reset their TPMS. However if my reset attempt didn't work, I would imagine the TPMS light would still be blinking (indicating faulty/missing/dead sensor)... but as of right now it's just a steady on, which I understand just means "low pressure".

UPDATE 07.18.18: Got this sorted out, the conclusion of this situation is here.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Why were you "flipping" your tires?
Getting some noticeable road noise, I've been on these tires for two and a half years straight in one direction so I flipped them, road noise is at a minimum again... so for now, it's white letter's out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In the meantime I've been reading through a bunch of other related threads on the subject (including not on this forum) and I've seen some other psi numbers people used to reset their TPMS. However if my reset attempt didn't work, I would imagine the TPMS light would still be blinking (indicating faulty/missing/dead sensor)... but as of right now it's just a steady on, which I understand just means "low pressure".

Any input is appreciated.
if you replaced a sensor? you'll have to have the new one programed into the truck. Telling the truck it's new. The tire pressure thing won't work. it's just a "reset".

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
Raine, where did you get the silver bolts for your wheels? Any specifics besides being class 10.9?
McMaster... don't remember the specs, that was like 3 years ago, sorry

if you replaced a sensor? you'll have to have the new one programed into the truck. Telling the truck it's new. The tire pressure thing won't work. it's just a "reset".
That's the part that doesn't make sense - so if the truck didn't "learn" the new sensor, then the TPMS light should still be doing the "error" indication (blink for a few minutes then go solid on), right?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't have an answer for you on that. I do know if you out right replace a sensor you have to do the "Wake Up Operation". Nissan's term. Were you have to use the scanner by the sensor and tell the truck that these are the sensors your using. Page WT-5 in the service manual. Setting the pressures and driving around won't do it unfortunately.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just had my tires rotated today. And they did the Scan thing on each tire. I asked why. And was told so the computer can tell you which tire is low. Now that the tires have switched position. I know my wife’s SUV does that but I didn’t think our trucks had that capability it just comes on when it the text one of them with a problem or will it tell me if which one has the problem. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
I just had my tires rotated today. And they did the Scan thing on each tire. I asked why. And was told so the computer can tell you which tire is low. Now that the tires have switched position. I know my wife’s SUV does that but I didn’t think our trucks had that capability it just comes on when it the text one of them with a problem or will it tell me if which one has the problem. Thanks
I'm guessing you had this done at a Nissan dealership?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ok this may help....

I have 2 two sets of rims/tires/TPSM's:

Qty 4 rims/tires/TPSM's for the summer season
Qty 4 rims/tires/TPSM's for the winter season

When I purchased the second set of rims and tires, they did not come with TPSM's
I had to buy Qty 4 TPSM's off of ebay and have the TPSM's installed in the rims at a tire shop.

I then removed the (original to the truck) set of rims/tires/TPSM's and put on the additional set of rim/tires with the new ebay TPSM's on the truck.

I then did the TPSM re-learn procedure and the trucks system woke up and relearned the new TPSM's

I swap the these two sets of rims/tires/TPSM's every fall and spring time.

On a couple of occasions when swapping the summer to winter rims/tires/TPSM's, the re-learn procedure just did not want to work, I then would just keep re-trying the procedure until it works. I am guessing I did not do something just perfect , the grounding of the wire? the with in 10 seconds ? I dont know. But I just kept trying and eventually it would work.

So try it a second or third time?

Also I cut and pasted this from the "Re-set your TPSM" thread:
Note: if you're having trouble getting it into the relearn mode, try grounding the connector, turn the car on, then turn the car off while still grounding it. Then repeat the above steps.

I think the above step may do some sort of re-set...?

Other than that maybe the new sensor you purchased is defective?

Maybe there is something weird about just replacing Qty 1 TPSM ?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
I then did the TPSM re-learn procedure and the trucks system woke up and relearned the new TPSM's
Thanks for that... yeah, this was how I understood what I read so far as well - the reset feature is so that you don't have to go to a dealership to get a new sensor (or 4) programmed to the vehicle. Otherwise what's the point of doing a reset/relearn.

I did see that grounding tip last night while reading more on the subject. I was actually going to try that this evening after work.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
It does need WiFi to work since it streams, I just tether the FireStick to my iPhone's unlimited data plan
Newb question how do you do that.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
Newb question how do you do that.
On an iPhone go to SETTINGS > PERSONAL HOTSPOT and flick the toggle to ON.
On an Android go ask someone, I don't know. LOL

Back when I wanted to use it I just turned the hotspot to ON and the FireTV would connect automatically whenever I was in the truck (with the key on ACC or ON). Note, I've since removed the Firestick, planning on plugging something else in soon.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
Do you know where one could purchase an identical set of Mitsuba horns?
No idea, sorry... I got mine 3 years ago from my cousin and he got them from Japan

561 - 580 of 884 Posts
About this Discussion
883 Replies
135 Participants
dadfish
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing