381 - 400 of 888 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Commencal Meta V4... I want that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Actually the 2JZ swap was the next step for the SC300 if it weren't for the fact that I got sick of the car and I wanted a truck. So the money that was supposed to go to an engine swap on a 20-year old used coupe ended up becoming a down payment on a new 2014 Frontier instead =)

Plus - considering you say you're in that "scene" still, then I'm sure you know the truth that aftermarket exhaust is only as good as everything else you do to the engine afterward, otherwise it's 95% for noise LOL

Seriously though - I didn't do any engine mods because I just didn't feel like it. When I bought the truck the main focus was to be able to daily drive it comfortably, haul my mountain bike all over the place, and to do mild/medium trail stuff (which normally is at low speeds anyways). It's not a desert bomber, it's not a track racer either. Who knows, maybe I'll get exhaust later on down the line, but it's not high on the list. I like the Banks system and the AFE system myself. I'll possibly reconsider around tax refund time next year, heh.
yea well that goes for most bolt on mod. none of it will actually work to its full potential unless you get a good tune for it.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #384 (Edited)
Relocating the UltraGauge (09.27.16)

A few small updates for now... more when things actually get moving:

First, really quickly - I relocated the UltraGauge from on the dash to the upper center part of the windshield, right above the rear view mirror. It's been hot out lately during the day, and the UltraGauge would always beep at me when I got in, telling me that it reached its own internal high temperature limit because it was exposed to direct sunlight on the dash. Now up on the windshield it's partially covered by the factory "tint dots" and no more temp alarm going off. I can still access the controls easily.

No install pictures required, just snapped a pic of whre it is now.

Second - here's another project I'm working on when I have free time, shouldn't be easy to guess what it is, but I'll let you guess anyways for fun:

No, it's not for tiny chickens.

Third - Coincidentally - the two things above are related to number 3, I ordered a new piece of "equipment", it's on the way and once I get it installed I'll be sure to spill the beans in this thread ::wink::

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Pods...

Gauge pod?
You're close ::wink::

Question. If your truck's name is Keira after Ms. Knightley why do you have a picture of Margot Robbie as your avatar?
Margot is hot... but the avatar is because it's Harley Quinn, whom I've been a fan of for over 15 years now (even before 'Suicide Squad' came out). And I've been in love with Keira Knightley since approx. the same time frame.

That said... if Keira Knightley was cast as Harley in 'Suicide Squad', I would have totally lost it.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #388 (Edited)
Small update, the new audio component arrived: it's JL Audio's new TWK-88 DSP Processor. The arrival of this means I'll be re-configuring my audio setup, along with soe other small details I wanted to do but didn't get around to it. I'm keeping all of the current gear (head unit, amp, subs, speakers) but the plan is to run the TWK-88 as the only processor for all channels, which means I'll be removing the miniDSP and the Audio Control Epicenter out of the loop. I also wanted to make a more permanent and more visually appealing mounting areas for the audio gear under the seats, so I'll be pulling all the interior out soon. Here's a few pics of the new DSP:

Always exciting when new goodies arrived in the mail.

Half of the box was cables, half was filled with this.

Way smaller than I expected, about 4.25" x 6" x 2" (LxWxH).

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #389 (Edited)
This is how I'm driving around:

Actually, this is what my truck will look like between about 6pm to 1am this whole week. I get home from the job, unbolt the driver's seat, and get to work. The other parts (center console, dash, etc.) I removed last Sunday, and this week is about putting together a pair of platforms for the audio equipment. It's a lot of test-fitting to get the platforms level and how I want them, and I have some wiring ideas in my head that I have to translate and fit into the project somehow.

I'm also swapping the hardware positioning; first, I'm moving the Alpine amp to the left side because the main amplifier power cable enters the cabin on the left side. This way I can keep the power isolated on the left side of the truck while I run all the signal wires along the right side.

Speaking of the right side, The miniDSP 2x4 and Audio Control Epicenter is gone; they're being replaced with the JL Audio TWK-88 DSP processor (last post) and another item TBA.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #390 (Edited)
Alrightythen - So starting last Saturday, the project went from:

"Hey, I feel like making some small platforms for my amp and processor that fit under the seats."

to

"Hey how about I relocate the amp, reconfigure/upgrade ALL of the wiring -including the cables to the head unit, running new speaker wires to the dash and all doors, re-route all the wiring through the cabin differently to separate power and signal routes, upgrade the processor, add another amp for the rear, add rear fill speakers, ... oh and yeah, build those platforms for under the seats."

That said, this whole week (weekdays) I've only been working on it for about 3 hours after work until sundown (which is a lot earlier nowadays). So that gives me roughly 3 hours to remove the driver's seat, do what I can do, then reinstall the driver's seat since I have to drive the truck to work the next day. Hopefully I can get it all done tonight and I have all day tomorrow. Anyhow, a few pics I snammed as I was cleaning up last night, forgive the bad lighting:

Amplifier platform coming along. Still debating on paint or cloth wrap.

Almost there - pretty close, considering the floor isn't perfectly flat.

Aluminum tape to hold new JL Audio RCAs and 14-gauge speaker wires to the floor.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Raine's 2014 4x4 "KEIRA" Build Thread

Looking good. Being a total none audiophile, I just couldn't imagine... being a car/bike/truck guy... I get it

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #392 (Edited)
So I revamped my audio setup, still working on it so I didn't post pics yet. However for anyone interested, I have my Image Dynamics 6.5" components for sale, as well as the Audio Control Epicenter here:

EDIT: Both are sold!

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #393 (Edited)
Small update, this is what I've been working on... still testing on how I want to run the cables through the platforms I'm trying to make for the amp and processors. I got this far:

Test cut to see if this idea is worth trying...

...and how the wires go through.

UPDATE 05.28.17: (#485) More info about the platforms above continued in this post.

Along with the previously mentioned JL Audio TWK-88 DSP Processor (which doesn't have a proper post yet), I also picked up these:

...and hello, new speakers.

I'm swapping out the Image Dynamics front components to install a set of Hertz Audio HSK.165's up front, and I'm finally taking out the OEM factory rear speakers for a pair of Hertz Audio DCX165.3 coaxials. Honestly - there was nothing wrong with the Image Dynamics setup at all - I just got a chance to try the Hertz speakers out and I couldn't refuse. Since I only have one truck and I can't keep both sets (it would be a waste to use the Image Dynamics setup for just the rear), the Image Dynamics are on sale in the classifieds.

The plan is to have everything running through the DSP, meaning I'll need to add another amplifier to power the new rear speakers since I'll no longer be using the Kenwood head unit's built-in amplification. because I'm removing the Audio Control Epicenter from the mix (don't need it with the new JL Audio DSP), that should give me enough room for the second amp underneath the passenger side seat. But now I have to find an amp small enough to fit what I need.

So that's where I am right now, more to come.

·
Registered
919 Posts
A few small updates for now... more when things actually get moving:

First, really quickly - I relocated the UltraGauge from on the dash (see here) to the upper center part of the windshield, right above the rear view mirror. It's been hot out lately during the day, and the UltraGauge would always beep at me when I got in, telling me that it reached its own internal high temperature limit because it was exposed to direct sunlight on the dash. Now up on the windshield it's partially covered by the factory "tint dots" and no more temp alarm going off. I can still access the controls easily.

No install pictures required, just snapped a pic of whre it is now.
Curious how you mounted the UltraGauge above the the rear view mirror... 3m sticky tape?

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #395

·
Registered
919 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
I see... Any concerns with the adhesive failing in the hot sun? Mine's currently mounted to the grab handle, but I prefer over the mirror like you did. Also, factory cable long enough to reach to the ODBCII port?
I actually moved the Ultragauge up there at the beginning of the summer and it didn't/hasn't moved since. Unlike when I had it mounted on the dash (left corner above the front air vent) I haven't heard the high-temp warning alarm go off once all summer. Just of note, I did clean the glass area with a rag and denatured alcohol before I mounted it, and I also used a heat gun briefly on the adhesive to soften it up good.

The cord was just long enough to reach; I ran the cord along the left side of the headliner, down the left-side A-pillar, and across the lower dash kick panel to the ODB-II plug. I actually bought an OBD-II extension cord which I ended up not using.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #398 (Edited)
JL Audio TWK-88 Digital Signal Processor (09.30.16)

After a few months or so of not spending anything on my truck (and buying a brand new bike and taking it to Whistler, Canada for the summer!) I got the itch again to do something to the rig. After a few listening sessions in my brother’s truck sampling his new audio setup, I felt the need (want?) to change my system up a little bit. Although I was perfectly fine with the MiniDSP processor and being able to tune with a laptop, it only gave me control over the front dash and door speakers since it was only a 2-channel input and a 4-channel output. I wanted to upgrade and have FULL control of every speaker in my truck; that means I had to move up to a new DSP that was capable of more channels. After the usual research and spec comparisons, I made the decision to go with JL Audio’s TWK-88 8-channel DSP.

As soon as it arrived, I pulled the Mini DSP and the Audio Control Epicenter out from the passenger floor and plugged the TWK-88 in (I’ll worry about a more permanent installation method later).

Downloading the settings from the MiniDSP…

…and later inputting the settings into the TWK-88.

What I liked about the TWK-88 when I was doing my research was the interface - the JL “TuN” software allows me to configure the TWK-88 using my laptop and a USB connection. Even from the first time I opened the program, it looked intuitive and easy to use, yet I could see that it’s also easily capable of going full “expert mode” with everything a DSP should have - time alignment, input/output leveling, configurable input/output mapping, etc. Here’s what the interface looks like:

Electronics are awesome.

Now with the TWK-88 I had the front dash tweeters, front door midrange, and rear subwoofers all on separate channels so I could individually control and tune their output (once I learned my way around the software, of course). I spent the next couple weeks off and on playing with the DSP, trying different configurations, etc. until I got the hang of using the software. The TWK-88 makes it really easy to make changes to the setup by simply plugging in a USB cable. After a lot of after-work evening “test and tune” sessions in the garage, I got to a point where I was pretty happy with the way the music sounded.

And then one day I sat in the back seat just to listen to the rear speakers (which were still the OEM Nissan speakers) and they were horrible. Which leads to the next post (to be continued!)

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #399 (Edited)
Hertz Audio Hi-Energy HSK-165 6.5" Component System (10.18.16)

Quick recap - this time around, I wanted to reconfigure my audio setup so that the Kenwood head unit would be the source, all of the level matching, time alignment, and signal processing would be handled by the TWK-88, and each speaker on it's own dedicated amplifier channel. This would give me full control of each speaker individually. That said, the next thing to do was order two new sets of speakers for both the front and rear; not only did I want to try something different up front, but I also wanted to get rid of the OEM rear speakers.

For the front components I went with Hertz Audio's Hi-Energy HSK-165 6.5" component system. Their 125-200-watt rating gave me ample room to use the power that my Alipine PDX-V9 can easily provide. Because I already had the Image Dynamics components installed up front, swapping over to the Hertz components was pretty simple since all I had to do was unsolder the ID's and solder in the new Hertz drivers. The woofers dropped right in, and thanks to the installation parts included with the HSK system I didn't have to fab up a new adaptor plate for the tweeters.

Sparkly fresh Hertz Audio speakers for all six factory locations.

I always enjoy unboxing new stuff.

Really impressive looking crossovers... which I will not be using since I'm running full active.

New Hertz HV-165 woofers next to the current Image Dynamics speaker.

Check out the die-cast aluminium basket and oversized magnet. Pretty heavy, too.

Up front, the HV-165 woofer installed into the front door mount.

HV-165 Soldered and bolted up to the front driver's side door panel.

New HT-25 tweeter on the right, slightly smaller than the ID one.

Included tweeter mounting options made the swap much easier to do.

HT-25 Soldered and mounted; you can barely see the piece of moto foam underneath to seal up the area.

Front speaker swap = check. Now moving to the rear...

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Drooling! Of all the speakers I've personally listened to, I thought these HSKs were the best. GREAT choice, sir!

381 - 400 of 888 Posts