Nissan Frontier Forum banner

361 - 380 of 888 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Awesome. I mostly used your method a few weeks ago on the liner and flaps. It was a huge help. ::smile::
Glad to hear it helped ::smile::

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #362 (Edited)
Some Ride Height Pics (07.28.16)

if you haven't noticed, it's been a little quiet in this thread lately... I sold my mountain bike and bought a new one so I've been having fun with the new ride. However today I thought I'd share a couple quick pics I took when I got home from work today: here's my truck as it is right now, next to a bone stock Frontier SV (it's a rental for a relative so we can shuttle). I don't remember my truck being that low when it was stock, but apparently it was!

Funny how the right camera angle makes my truck look Titan-sized.

Tried to get a better comparison, just look at the headlamp height differences.

It's also weird that when I'm driving and I am next to a stock Frontier, it doesn't feel that much higher from the driver's seat. Oh well ::wink::

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Ive noticed the same thing here, that the stock size frontiers don't seem that much lower than me when I'm next to them on the road, but when I park next to one, mine looks like a Titan!
I had a guy follow me in a nearly stock frontier yesterday, for almost 10 miles..
He had some nice headlights & rims, but that was all I seen.
When he finally made a right turn (one street before my house), he stared, smiled, then threw a peace sign my way, and off he went...
Just makes me love my truck, that much more! :)

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Ive noticed the same thing here, that the stock size frontiers don't seem that much lower than me when I'm next to them on the road, but when I park next to one, mine looks like a Titan!
I had a guy follow me in a nearly stock frontier yesterday, for almost 10 miles..
He had some nice headlights & rims, but that was all I seen.
When he finally made a right turn (one street before my house), he stared, smiled, then threw a peace sign my way, and off he went...
Just makes me love my truck, that much more! :)
Yeah... there's those moments when someone sees your truck and acknowleges you or gives you a thumbs up that make all the work put into your ride worth it...

SPEAKING OF: today during my lunch break I pulled up to a light and there was a guy in a red KC Frontier to my right. Looked stock except for some generic aftermarket wheels on stock tires. While waiting for the light I noticed he creeped forward a little bit, when I looked over I saw him eyeballing my front suspension setup. The funny part of it was that he had sunglasses on, but he kept his head pointed straight forward, as if he's not looking - not realizing that where I was positioned, I could easily and clearly see his eyeballs aimed down towards my front right tire area HAHA
::laugh::

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Haha! I do that all the time... I'll put my shades on, and eyeball someone else's setup, or their suspension, without even turning my head.
If it's nice, I acknowledge it, if not, I just keep right on rollin. ✌

·
Registered
40 Posts
The title sounds contradictory, but oh well – anyhow, the day after I took the truck home I hit the road and headed to a local auto parts store to pick up some cleaning supplies, and I also bought a Stant locking gas cap (part #10504); this was technically my first mod, heh. After that I went to a couple local Nissan Dealerships (closer to me than Montclair) and dropped some cash on a few genuine Nissan accessories that caught my eye in the catalog – originally I just wanted the mud guards and wind deflectors; the parts guy said he’d give me a deal on the side steps ($150 flat!) because they were just taking up space in the back, and he even offered to throw in a free set of wheel locks… so why not!

OEM mud guards, wind deflectors, side steps, and free wheel locks.

You know that feeling, buying something and installing it at night because you can’t wait.

First non-OEM “mod” gets a picture, even if it’s boring.

The next day I went to Costco to pick up some stuff, and I couldn’t help but constantly look in my rear view mirror the whole way home, so I decided I needed a tonneau cover. I looked at the tri-fold style at first, but I realized it would be a pain to have to remove it every time I wanted to load my mountain bike up for a ride, so I shopped around for the roll-up style. I went with the Truxedo LoPro QT because it had a very low profile to it, and it had a lot of great reviews online. Ordered it on Amazon Prime, 2 days later I installed it in about 1 hour. I’ve had it for over a year now and I’m happy to report that there are still zero signs of sagging, no weathering, and no color fading whatsoever – looks and works just as good as new.

The LoPro QT is an excellent tonneau cover, with a nice, tight fit.
Hm was this??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #367

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Haha! I do that all the time... I'll put my shades on, and eyeball someone else's setup, or their suspension, without even turning my head.
If it's nice, I acknowledge it, if not, I just keep right on rollin. ✌
I do the same, and don't know why. As fellow Frontier owners, we should be able to gawk all we want, then give the other guy as thumbs up to make his/her day!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The title sounds contradictory, but oh well – anyhow, the day after I took the truck home I hit the road and headed to a local auto parts store to pick up some cleaning supplies, and I also bought a Stant locking gas cap (part #10504); this was technically my first mod, heh. After that I went to a couple local Nissan Dealerships (closer to me than Montclair) and dropped some cash on a few genuine Nissan accessories that caught my eye in the catalog – originally I just wanted the mud guards and wind deflectors; the parts guy said he’d give me a deal on the side steps ($150 flat!) because they were just taking up space in the back, and he even offered to throw in a free set of wheel locks… so why not!

OEM mud guards, wind deflectors, side steps, and free wheel locks.

You know that feeling, buying something and installing it at night because you can’t wait.

First non-OEM “mod” gets a picture, even if it’s boring.

The next day I went to Costco to pick up some stuff, and I couldn’t help but constantly look in my rear view mirror the whole way home, so I decided I needed a tonneau cover. I looked at the tri-fold style at first, but I realized it would be a pain to have to remove it every time I wanted to load my mountain bike up for a ride, so I shopped around for the roll-up style. I went with the Truxedo LoPro QT because it had a very low profile to it, and it had a lot of great reviews online. Ordered it on Amazon Prime, 2 days later I installed it in about 1 hour. I’ve had it for over a year now and I’m happy to report that there are still zero signs of sagging, no weathering, and no color fading whatsoever – looks and works just as good as new.

The LoPro QT is an excellent tonneau cover, with a nice, tight fit.
how do you like the nissan window guards? i was looking into buying them but they are out channel? any comments would be great thx

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #370 (Edited)
I do the same, and don't know why. As fellow Frontier owners, we should be able to gawk all we want, then give the other guy as thumbs up to make his/her day!
Hey, if I see something I like I'll look at it. I won't try to be all stealth. Some people don't want others to know they're looking, but me - I'm not insecure LOL

how do you like the nissan window guards? i was looking into buying them but they are out channel? any comments would be great thx
I actually picked the outside versions because I don't like how the in-channel rear visors cutoff at the back. The short length makes them look like they're too short and stubby, and for some reason they look like someone stuck a pool noodle on their window frame. On the other hand, I like how the stick-on versions are full length all the way across the width of the glass (not just the part that opens). It just looks more uniform to me; example below (not my pics):

But yeah - I'm not knocking anyone with in-channel visors, I'm just stating my personal opinion.

Also of note, I went with the OEM Nissan factory ones, not the aftermarket type because the OEM Nissan visors include the metal in-channel clips. The clips not only help keep them in place, but the way the clips are, they also keep the visors in the correct position/spacing from the window glass. I've seen some aftermarket visors on other cars where the unsupported middle section of the visor would start to "droop" inward towards the window due to sun, wind, or whatever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, if I see something I like I'll look at it. I won't try to be all stealth. Some people don't want others to know they're looking, but me - I'm not insecure LOL

I actually picked the outside versions because I don't like how the in-channel rear visors cutoff at the back. The short length makes them look like they're too short and stubby, and for some reason they look like someone stuck a pool noodle on their window frame. On the other hand, I like how the stick-on versions are full length all the way across the width of the glass (not just the part that opens). It just looks more uniform to me; example below (not my pics):

But yeah - I'm not knocking anyone with in-channel visors, I'm just stating my personal opinion.

Also of note, I went with the OEM Nissan factory ones, not the aftermarket type because the OEM Nissan visors include the metal in-channel clips. The clips not only help keep them in place, but the way the clips are, they also keep the visors in the correct position/spacing from the window glass. I've seen some aftermarket visors on other cars where the unsupported middle section of the visor would start to "droop" inward towards the window due to sun, wind, or whatever.
i have a king cab so im not worried about the back part. but that extra clip and knowing its made from nissan just makes things a lil better built for specifically our trucks. thx for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #374

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #375 (Edited)
The Other "Ride" (08.01.16)

(UPDATE: Replaced with a new bike, see #520)

What did you get for a new bike?
As I mentioned earlier, the truck stuff took an extended pause because I purchased something new with wheels - two wheels, not four. Back in May I sold my old 2012 26" Pivot Mach 5.7 and upgraded to 650b - to be specific, a Limited Edition 2016 Commencal Meta V4 27.5" "Black Edition". Specs of the current setup is below the photos (non-bike peeps can ignore the specs). Since I bought the new bike I took the next month and a half dialing the suspension. It took longer than I expected, mainly because not only was I swapping to a new wheel size, but I was also moving to a frame with a more aggressive geometry.

Manufacturer's promo photo.

Recent pic after a ride down in the mountains near Laguna Beach.

Bike Spec
Rockshox Yari RC Solo Air 170mm travel
Rockshox Monarch Plus R DebonAir 151mm travel
Truvativ X0 GXP 175mm crankset (upgraded)
Race Face Direct Mount Chainring (upgraded)
SRAM SRAM GX1 11-speed drivetrain
WTB/Novatec 27.5" Wheel Set (25mm wide rims)
Continental Trail King 2.4" tires FR/RR (upgraded)
SRAM DB5 Brakeset
Deity Blacklabel 25-degree, 787mm wide handlebar (upgraded)
Race Face Rogue Grips w/ODI Caps (upgraded)
KS LEV Integra 125mm travel Dropper Post
Deity Cinch Seatpost Clamp (upgraded)
Deity Decoy Flat Pedals (upgraded)

After swapping out the "upgraded" parts above (all personal preferences from the last bike) the new build is pretty solid; rolls fast and the suspension geometry feels great. The only thing I'm still debating on swapping out are the brakes - they can handle big rides like Snow Summit, M-Trail, etc. (all SoCal spots) but I'm still not 100% used to the brake lever feel and actuation.

So anyhow, this is why the last few months have been quiet on the truck stuff. Right now summer is pretty busy so I have been doing less truck modding and more driving, and as is I'm very happy with my truck. There's nothing in terms of aftermarket parts I "need" immediately.
:😁:

EDIT: Well what do you know, I replaced this bike already with this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
See next post (give me a minute to get pics ready)

Hope you have the wallet for it. Not trying to show off, just saying - it's not cheap ::wink::

Lol well I mainly meant the suspension and tires. I know those aren't cheap either, but I've been looking for a good setup that doesn't include anything crazy like a Titan swap. As far as the audio, my ears aren't good enough anyway (shoot guns too much)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Lol well I mainly meant the suspension and tires. I know those aren't cheap either, but I've been looking for a good setup that doesn't include anything crazy like a Titan swap. As far as the audio, my ears aren't good enough anyway (shoot guns too much)

In that case...

...Nothing like the ride of Kings IMO. Some people will say they're over-priced (I wouldn't pay full retail for them either LOL) compared to Bilsteins or Radflos which are the most common choices you'll see here, but I've ridden on all 3 and personally there's no comparison. Ride is plush, no weird noises or any other issues since day 1.

...KO2s are great on the road and the trail. The Load E's are a little stiffer so you feel a little more of the road - though I bought them specifically so that if I go off-road I have no worries, and so far they've done the job.
::grin::

·
Registered
9 Posts
In that case...

...Nothing like the ride of Kings IMO. Some people will say they're over-priced (I wouldn't pay full retail for them either LOL) compared to Bilsteins or Radflos which are the most common choices you'll see here, but I've ridden on all 3 and personally there's no comparison. Ride is plush, no weird noises or any other issues since day 1.

...KO2s are great on the road and the trail. The Load E's are a little stiffer so you feel a little more of the road - though I bought them specifically so that if I go off-road I have no worries, and so far they've done the job.

::grin::

I'll keep that in mind. Won't be long now with the rate my tires are wearing down (the stock long trails SUCK in every way imaginable)

·
Registered
96 Posts
after reading through most of your build thread its funny i didn't see any performance mods done (yet). especially someone like you coming from the car scene you use to be into. have you ever thought about getting a exhaust setup? i been thinking about the flow master 70 series but then again theres a lot to choose from and I'm trying to find the perfect exhaust with 0 drone. btw the c300 was dope and very clean ride. did you have a 2jz swap?

(link below) this is the scene I'm into and just like you i sold it and bought the frontier as a DD that i can just beat up and not worry to much about. when i say not worry about trust me i still take really good care of it. but when you compare the frontier to my other toys its a different story of how picky i get.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/disguy-2014-sv-build-249218/

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
after reading through most of your build thread its funny i didn't see any performance mods done (yet). especially someone like you coming from the car scene you use to be into. have you ever thought about getting a exhaust setup? i been thinking about the flow master 70 series but then again theres a lot to choose from and I'm trying to find the perfect exhaust with 0 drone. btw the c300 was dope and very clean ride. did you have a 2jz swap?

(link below) this is the scene I'm into and just like you i sold it and bought the frontier as a DD that i can just beat up and not worry to much about. when i say not worry about trust me i still take really good care of it. but when you compare the frontier to my other toys its a different story of how picky i get.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/disguy-2014-sv-build-249218/
Actually the 2JZ swap was the next step for the SC300 if it weren't for the fact that I got sick of the car and I wanted a truck. So the money that was supposed to go to an engine swap on a 20-year old used coupe ended up becoming a down payment on a new 2014 Frontier instead =)

Plus - considering you say you're in that "scene" still, then I'm sure you know the truth that aftermarket exhaust is only as good as everything else you do to the engine afterward, otherwise it's 95% for noise LOL

Seriously though - I didn't do any engine mods because I just didn't feel like it. When I bought the truck the main focus was to be able to daily drive it comfortably, haul my mountain bike all over the place, and to do mild/medium trail stuff (which normally is at low speeds anyways). It's not a desert bomber, it's not a track racer either. Who knows, maybe I'll get exhaust later on down the line, but it's not high on the list. I like the Banks system and the AFE system myself. I'll possibly reconsider around tax refund time next year, heh.

361 - 380 of 888 Posts