Nissan Frontier Forum banner

261 - 280 of 884 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Dammit! Yet again your build thread has lightened my wallet lol. Last night I ordered my xterra switch, and latching relay. I also contacted White Rhino about building me a light bar. Is there any chance I could get you to give me a measurement on the max depth of lights that could be mounted on that bar?
About 3/4" from the center of the mounting hole to the front of the bumper cover. My PIAAs have an offset mount though, so the lamps are pushed farther forward so I have enough clearance for lamp direction/angle adjustment.

I did, I know what its called a DEI 611T. The question was where did you get yours from? I can only find cheap looking ones on ebay.
I bought mine on Amazon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
About 3/4" from the center of the mounting hole to the front of the bumper cover. My PIAAs have an offset mount though, so the lamps are pushed farther forward so I have enough clearance for lamp direction/angle adjustment.

Thanks that will help me in deciding which lights to get.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #263 (Edited)
Silverwood Lake Trail Run (03.05.16)

Took a Saturday afternoon drive up in the trails above Silverwood Lake in San Bernardino, CA. The weather was so weird - the whole afternoon it changed back and forth from sunny to windy to rainy and back again. Here's a few pics, I didn't take that many because it was kind of cold outside, heh:

Taking a break near the top of the mountain. Those clouds moved in fast.

Sometimes the sun was out, sometimes the clouds rolled in.

Right front squishy at 25-psi, right rear sorta flexed.

Same as above, 1 minute later. Note the weather change?

Standard group photo, taken on one of the descents.

Back to civilization, airing our tires back up.

Speaking of, I got to use my new Viair 300P Portable Compressor for the first time, and it was pretty cool to use. It's relatively small, weighs about 8 pounds, can do up to 150-psi, and comes with a nice carrying bag. The "5-in-1" inflator head locks onto valve stems with ease, has a built-in pressure gauge, and has a built-in 2-way deflator (momentary and constant). It has an isolated base keeps the compressor from floating around on the ground when in use, and absorbs a lot of compressor noise. Finally, the compressor uses a standard 1/4" quick-release output connector, should I decide to replace/upgrade the 25-ft. coiled hose.

For science (lol) I timed how fast it could inflate my KO2s from 25-psi back up to my daily driving 38-psi pressure, and it only took 2 minutes and 15 seconds flat (per tire). That was just a few seconds off the pace of my cousin's $400 ARB compressor, so that's perfectly fine considering I paid $149 for the Viair.

This is my new air compressor, the Viair 300P.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
25 psi is too high! Try 15 psi - you'd be invincible.

Do you have sliders coming? Those side-steps look out of place on your cool truck :)
It's so squishy at 25-psi already LOL

Side steps won't be on for long. ::wink::

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #267 (Edited)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Disconnect? Psh... I already took the whole thing off weeks ago LOL ---> Testing With No Front Sway Bar (02.07.16)
How are you liking it? Im scared to, I drive like a maniac lol Im scared if I take it off ill flip my truck. If the benefits off road are very noticeable I might give it a try. Too bad we cant get quick detach sway bar links like jeep guys.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #270 (Edited)
OEM Front Sway Bar Removal Notes (continued from #221)

How are you liking it? Im scared to, I drive like a maniac lol Im scared if I take it off ill flip my truck. If the benefits off road are very noticeable I might give it a try. Too bad we cant get quick detach sway bar links like jeep guys.
(Continued from #221 OEM Front Sway Bar Removal)

There's a little more steering with the swaybar off, at least that's what I noticed. The biggest benefit that I felt was during daily driving. Individual bumps/dips/expansion joints/sewer caps/etc. that you run over with one side 'stays' on that side... in other words, it doesn't transmit the bump and the noise across the whole front end. Since both front wheels can move independently, they each take care of their own 'side' without sharing it to the other side (with the swaybar on). At highway speeds the ride is very comfy (even with the upgraded suspension).

As far as cornering goes, there is more lean - again because now you don't have the outer suspension using the swaybar to compress the inner suspension - but it's a minor adjustment to driving style. I do have to mention though that I have compression adjusters on my shocks up front, and I dialed them up about 3 clicks from before which helped keep the chassis roll to a minimum and at the same time eliminating a majority of the brake dive these trucks seem to have standard.

With off-road it was like night and day - I think the swaybar Nissan spec'd is way too stiff (my guess is to help people who dn't know how to correctly drive a RWD truck); it sends too much tension across to the other side. On the dirt without the swaybar, the front end is truly independent. The last time on dirt the truck rocked back and forth a lot less than before on the super bumpy stuff, and less overall lean when one side was higher than the other.

A lot of people previous would recommend that you practice some evasive maneuvers in an empty parking lot if you're going to remove the swaybar, and I agree - you have to try it to get an idea of how your truck will react now that the swaybar is removed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
There's a little more steering with the swaybar off, at least that's what I noticed. The biggest benefit that I felt was during daily driving. Individual bumps/dips/expansion joints/sewer caps/etc. that you run over with one side 'stays' on that side... in other words, it doesn't transmit the bump and the noise across the whole front end. Since both front wheels can move independently, they each take care of their own 'side' without sharing it to the other side (with the swaybar on). At highway speeds the ride is very comfy (even with the upgraded suspension).

As far as cornering goes, there is more lean - again because now you don't have the outer suspension using the swaybar to compress the inner suspension - but it's a minor adjustment to driving style. I do have to mention though that I have compression adjusters on my shocks up front, and I dialed them up about 3 clicks from before which helped keep the chassis roll to a minimum and at the same time eliminating a majority of the brake dive these trucks seem to have standard.

With off-road it was like night and day - I think the swaybar Nissan spec'd is way too stiff (my guess is to help people who dn't know how to correctly drive a RWD truck); it sends too much tension across to the other side. On the dirt without the swaybar, the front end is truly independent. The last time on dirt the truck rocked back and forth a lot less than before on the super bumpy stuff, and less overall lean when one side was higher than the other.

A lot of people previous would recommend that you practice some evasive maneuvers in an empty parking lot if you're going to remove the swaybar, and I agree - you have to try it to get an idea of how your truck will react now that the swaybar is removed.
Evasive maneuvers is a big thing that worries me, especially at hwy speeds. I feel like it would be much harder to recover from drastic changes in direction if someone cut you off or something. Ill have to try it out I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Evasive maneuvers is a big thing that worries me, especially at hwy speeds. I feel like it would be much harder to recover from drastic changes in direction if someone cut you off or something. Ill have to try it out I guess.
The way I see it:

- you know you're driving a tall-profile truck
- you know it doesn't handle/corner like a sports car
- you should know the correct driving speed based on road conditions

When you have free time, you can get the same "feel" by just removing one of the swaybar links on one side. Remove it completely (simply remove a pair of 14mm nuts if I remember right to get the whole link off). Then drive around through a familiar route and feel the difference, then you can see if you like it or not. if you don't put the link back on. If you di, take the entire swaybar and mounts/links off.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The way I see it:

- you know you're driving a tall-profile truck
- you know it doesn't handle/corner like a sports car
- you should know the correct driving speed based on road conditions

When you have free time, you can get the same "feel" by just removing one of the swaybar links on one side. Remove it completely (simply remove a pair of 14mm nuts if I remember right to get the whole link off). Then drive around through a familiar route and feel the difference, then you can see if you like it or not. if you don't put the link back on. If you di, take the entire swaybar and mounts/links off.
This!

I drive very conservatively, keeping it at 70 on highways, a little slower if there's lots of turns or traffic. These trucks stop fairly well, but they don't manuever well.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
This!

I drive very conservatively, keeping it at 70 on highways, a little slower if there's lots of turns or traffic. These trucks stop fairly well, but they don't manuever well.
Same here... I stay around 70mph max on the highway, maybe 80 just to make a pass, but generally I found that 70mph is fast enough to stay with the flow without losing gas mileage. Also I guess it depends on how high of a lift you have and if you're carrying extra weight... there's a long, windy canyon road I drive through a lot and I'm actually surprised at how well I can take the corners - considering I'm in a truck. It's not sports car level handling, but it does just fine for me.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Same here... I stay around 70mph max on the highway, maybe 80 just to make a pass, but generally I found that 70mph is fast enough to stay with the flow without losing gas mileage. Also I guess it depends on how high of a lift you have and if you're carrying extra weight... there's a long, windy canyon road I drive through a lot and I'm actually surprised at how well I can take the corners - considering I'm in a truck. It's not sports car level handling, but it does just fine for me.
Mine handles the corners okay, but I once had a Land Rover with this active cornering system that just ruined me for other 4x4s in the corners. That being said, my Frontier comes a decent second.

It doesn't help that I'm lifted three inches on 33s with a bunch of extra weight.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #280 (Edited)
Beautiful truck!

I'm 99% sure I followed your build on your S14 on NicoClub ~10 years ago.
I'm 99% sure that if you did, then this would look familiar:

I can't believe I used to drive that low.
::wink::

261 - 280 of 884 Posts
About this Discussion
883 Replies
135 Participants
dadfish
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing