Nissan Frontier Forum banner

201 - 220 of 909 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I'm currently debating between the SPC arms and the TC's... knowing where you got the TC's for a screaming deal would almost certainly tip the balance that direction! Truck's coming along great man. Thanks for taking the time to share.
It's good to know people. ::wink::

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
Custom King Off-Road Coilovers - Suspension Upgrade, part 3 (01.16.16)

CONTINUE: Please continue reading about this mod here:
project:KEIRA - Good to Be King.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Look forward to your review of suspension setup after you've tested it a bit. That tire/wheel/lift looks great! Yeah, you got me with the girls,girls,girls. Keira is a looker tho!

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Looks like the new suspension is working out perfectly. I need to stop reading your build report. It makes me want to spend so much money lol
Don't even blame me for everything you just ordered on Amazon. Just kidding
::grin::

Looks like you'll need skid plates and sliders next?
Yeap... sure looks that way.

Funny - we have similar taste in armor... I've had the HeftyFab skids, White Knuckle sliders, and Shrock rear bumper on the wish list even before I bought the truck (LOL) but I always used the "you don't need it yet" reason. I might be at that point where I can't use that excuse anymore.
>:D

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sooo.... when are you installing a snorkel?>:D

Seriously though, your Frontier looks awesome among your group of Toyotas. Truck has come a long way in such a short time.

Question about your front suspension. At 3.45” of lift, how much down travel do you have left before the suspension tops out? Also, what limits the down travel? I'm guessing it's the shocks? Just curious if you have any binding in your lower ball joints at full droop.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Sooo.... when are you installing a snorkel?>:D

Seriously though, your Frontier looks awesome among your group of Toyotas. Truck has come a long way in such a short time.

Question about your front suspension. At 3.45” of lift, how much down travel do you have left before the suspension tops out? Also, what limits the down travel? I'm guessing it's the shocks? Just curious if you have any binding in your lower ball joints at full droop.
I don't know any exact travel numbers off hand; what I do know is that currently the down travel stops when the Total Chaos bump stops touch the coil bucket, there's no binding in the ball joints, and the lower spring seat still clears the front drive axle at full extension.

But since you asked you got me wondering now too. I'm actually going to lift (jack) the truck up either today or tomorrow to do some stuff (not suspension related), so I'll make a note of how much down travel I get before the tire lifts off the ground. Since I'm there I'll also take the bump stop out just to see what happens (it looks like I can get another 1/2" of room) but I'm not sure how added UCA movement calculates out to at the wheel (I know coilover-to-wheel ratio is 1:2).

I'll get back to you on this one
::smile::

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Funny - we have similar taste in armor... I've had the HeftyFab skids, White Knuckle sliders, and Shrock rear bumper on the wish list even before I bought the truck (LOL) but I always used the "you don't need it yet" reason. I might be at that point where I can't use that excuse anymore.
>:D
The skids definitely helped during my last snow run, as they helped the truck slide forward on all that snow between the deep tire tracks. The sliders haven't come into play yet, which means that I need to go find some rocks.

Next on my list is a winch-bumper, as I'd like to be as self-reliant as I can be out there.

Your truck's looking great, and I'm really enjoying reading your thread!

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
The skids definitely helped during my last snow run, as they helped the truck slide forward on all that snow between the deep tire tracks. The sliders haven't come into play yet, which means that I need to go find some rocks.

Next on my list is a winch-bumper, as I'd like to be as self-reliant as I can be out there.

Your truck's looking great, and I'm really enjoying reading your thread!
Thank you sir.

You know - I would probably consider a winch if there was a "hidden" way to do it without a bunch of hacking, but the one-piece bumper doesn't allow for it. I really like how U.S. Off-Road does it.

Speaking of, I think part of why I'm hesitant about getting full skids (and throw the winch in there too for discussion's sake) is because that's a lot of weight to be driving around with the 95% of the time I'm daily driving when don't need them. Sliders would replace the side step rails and still serve as a step during daily driving duty, but skids just sit there most of the time. I'm considering getting the aluminum radiator skid since it's about 1/2 the weight of the steel version... but the other skids, I'm not so sure yet.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Having a full set of skids on, and sporting 480-lb. OME springs, I don't feel that the extra weight has made too dramatic of a ride/handling difference over STOCK (450-lb. springs), probably due to the fact that the plates are distributed to some extent over the length of the truck. With aluminum skids, I don't think that you'd feel them at all. I haven't done an MPG comparison, but I think that the difference (if any) will be minimal, with/without the skids.

A winch bumper's an entirely different story - it's 100+ lbs. hanging over the front end. I lucked out here because I have a multi-mount Warn winch that mounts to a hitch receiver (I'll be integrating one onto my future front bumper), which saves me from having to lug around a heavy winch when I need it only 0.1% of the time. Basically, my bumper will be there to provide a hitch receiver, proper recovery points, and platform for auxiliary lights.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Having a full set of skids on, and sporting 480-lb. OME springs, I don't feel that the extra weight has made too dramatic of a ride/handling difference over STOCK (450-lb. springs), probably due to the fact that the plates are distributed to some extent over the length of the truck. With aluminum skids, I don't think that you'd feel them at all. I haven't done an MPG comparison, but I think that the difference (if any) will be minimal, with/without the skids.

A winch bumper's an entirely different story - it's 100+ lbs. hanging over the front end. I lucked out here because I have a multi-mount Warn winch that mounts to a hitch receiver (I'll be integrating one onto my future front bumper), which saves me from having to lug around a heavy winch when I need it only 0.1% of the time. Basically, my bumper will be there to provide a hitch receiver, proper recovery points, and platform for auxiliary lights.
Interesting... yeah, I didn't think the full skids would affect handling much as - like you said, they're distributed along the length of the chassis, not to mention the extra weight is down low.

To be honest if it weren't for me waiting on the release of this new DSP I want for my audio system, I'd probably move skids up on the list of "stuff I want to buy" LOL

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think for the most part, if you're not going nuts, the most important skids to get are the engine and transmission plates. The transfer case is actually pretty thick, although I'd hate to land on it overly hard. But I'm in a lot of granite, and I've yet to have any real issues. Hell, for the most part I haven't needed my skidplates that much. Just once when I was being an idiot in deep water. :)

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
I think for the most part, if you're not going nuts, the most important skids to get are the engine and transmission plates. The transfer case is actually pretty thick, although I'd hate to land on it overly hard. But I'm in a lot of granite, and I've yet to have any real issues. Hell, for the most part I haven't needed my skidplates that much. Just once when I was being an idiot in deep water. :)
Not the fuel tank skid? I was thinking going with the radiator skid first, fuel tank skid second. I figure if I'm going to hit something low, the radiator skid would hit it first and I'd stop to check the obstacle... and I'm not to comfortable knowing that the plastic fuel tank is just there hanging with zero protection.

201 - 220 of 909 Posts