Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made some sort of radiator (or really AC condenser) rock guard for the big slot in the bumper?

On my past trucks the radiator always gets banged up by rocks flying through that slot, mostly in the winter. I was trying to figure out the best way to make some sort of grille/guard for it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Jeff024; you should be able to go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some mesh and cover that hole from the rear[/QUOTE said:
That's what I did. 1/4" mesh and (2) 1/4" aluminumn dowels.
Painted the dowels black and formed them slightly to fit around the inside of the opening.
Formed the mesh around the opening, put the 2 dowels behind the mesh, on the top and bottom inside edges, and attached the whole thing w/4 small wire ties to the 2 uprights.
The mesh turns black after a while. I've taken a lot of rocks in the mesh. Got enough for 2 more left over. 'Bout $10.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That's what I did. 1/4" mesh and (2) 1/4" aluminumn dowels.
Painted the dowels black and formed them slightly to fit around the inside of the opening.
Formed the mesh around the opening, put the 2 dowels behind the mesh, on the top and bottom inside edges, and attached the whole thing w/4 small wire ties to the 2 uprights.
The mesh turns black after a while. I've taken a lot of rocks in the mesh. Got enough for 2 more left over. 'Bout $10.
x2 That's what I did... LINK

I've since painted mine black. I have pulled leaves, cigarettes, and sticks out of it. I would certainly expect it has repelled its share of rocks too.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
mesh grill

I found black powder coat mesh on ebay along with some plastic edging cut to size pressed on edging and ty-wrapped. I did this last year after a cross country trip from Florida to San Fran and back 8000 miles. I saw to frontiers with a/c damage when I stopped for oil change in Vegas.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks good.
I have a big roll of that edging, guess I better get this done:goodjob:

Anybody need some edge let me know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys, especially for the pics. That's exactly what I needed to see.

Where did you find that plastic edging? Home Depot or Lowes? I'm going to run there during lunch tomorrow and pick up what I need.

EDIT:
I found some rubber edging at Pep Boys for $5.99. Its actually door edge guard/trim. It was next to the chrome and plastic ones. The aluminum gutter leaf guard at home depot was $2.37. Much cheaper than the aluminum ones on ebay which look like they have big gaps between the horizontal aluminum strips.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I found black powder coat mesh on ebay along with some plastic edging cut to size pressed on edging and ty-wrapped. I did this last year after a cross country trip from Florida to San Fran and back 8000 miles. I saw to frontiers with a/c damage when I stopped for oil change in Vegas.
I'm gonna go with this, because it will match the honeycomb pattern of my front grille.

Hey Man, can u post up a couple of pics showing how you attached the mesh?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks guys, especially for the pics. That's exactly what I needed to see.

Where did you find that plastic edging? Home Depot or Lowes? I'm going to run there during lunch tomorrow and pick up what I need.

EDIT:
I found some rubber edging at Pep Boys for $5.99. Its actually door edge guard/trim. It was next to the chrome and plastic ones. The aluminum gutter leaf guard at home depot was $2.37. Much cheaper than the aluminum ones on ebay which look like they have big gaps between the horizontal aluminum strips.
Post pics when ur done. I'll post up pics of mine before, during and after. I should be able to pick the stuff up tomorrow or Tuesday.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a Honda Element I did this too but I also added some window screen to it to stop the insects from clogging anything! A very bad design..rocks would damage the condenser! I would put a piece on the top also to protect the fins of the radiator!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts