Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a really crazy question that I feel kinda stupid asking. I was reading an article online the other day about radiator caps on Nissans. It said that Titans and Frontiers are NOT supposed to have a spring on their radiator caps. Is this true?

·
Super Moderator
11,068 Posts
No spring on the cap on the radiator, only on the overflow bottle.
The cap on the radiator is called a seal. If you use a spring cap on the radiator the temperature will run hot. A member bought two spring type Nismo caps and had an issue from that. We all learn something from hanging out here.
No question asked here is crazy or stupid.

Clint

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
No spring on the cap on the radiator, only on the overflow bottle.
The cap on the radiator is called a seal. If you use a spring cap on the radiator the temperature will run hot. A member bought two spring type Nismo caps and had an issue from that. We all learn something from hanging out here.
No question asked here is crazy or stupid.

That is correct, I did the same thing and now have a spare chrome Nismo cap to prove it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So this is a really crazy question that I feel kinda stupid asking. I was reading an article online the other day about radiator caps on Nissans. It said that Titans and Frontiers are NOT supposed to have a spring on their radiator caps. Is this true?
The answers you got are correct. The actual cap on the radiator is a seal. The cap on the overflow tank takes the spring cap. In actuality the overflow tank is really a surge tank. The cap on the surge tank is actually a dual purpose valve, just like all radiator caps, and does all the work. The cap works under pressure and vacuum. Be sure it has the correct psi rating for your system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts