Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Nismo. Just put in 2"radflos, bilstein 5125's and AAL in the back.

Those of you that have this set up.....can you honestly say that you feel any difference whatsoever?

I really dont see any difference in ride quality.....

Kind of bummed.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,881 Posts
go offroad - up a bumpy logging road. then take a winding highway fast and hard. put the stock coils in with spacers - you'll want your radflos back right away. you don't notice the ride until you don't have it. i've had my coils in and out three times - and i notice it immediately

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
for me it was a huge differance.

Did you have ride quality issue before the swap?
How much preload do did you put on your springs?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I didn't notice much difference either to be honest. I think I even posted about it back when I changed over too. It could be that I have the Rads cranked up a bit so they seem stiff like the AC coils I had in beforehand so it didn't seem different. I even thought about getting a custom set of 1" or 3/4" spacers from PRG so I could lessen the spring rate on my springs and the adjusting collar. I know though that I wouldn't go back.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Radflos definitely took the floating feeling out of hard cornering and the bounce out of the bumps.

The biggest advantage to me was the look of it lifted while maintaining the stock ride.

The deavers will be noticed more off roading for better articulation but again the lift is also a big benefit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Spring rate in the front will have more effect on the ride on-road. I am sending my radflos for a rebuild this week and changing spring rate. I have 700 and it is too stiff with stock bumper. Sounds most the crowd here has 650 springs and that seems to be the sweet spot to feel good on the road and much better off road.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I didn't notice much difference either to be honest. I think I even posted about it back when I changed over too. It could be that I have the Rads cranked up a bit so they seem stiff like the AC coils I had in beforehand so it didn't seem different. I even thought about getting a custom set of 1" or 3/4" spacers from PRG so I could lessen the spring rate on my springs and the adjusting collar. I know though that I wouldn't go back.
Really? My truck rides so much better with the coilovers compared to the AC coils. I do have icon's but I wont think there would be that big of a difference.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Really? My truck rides so much better with the coilovers compared to the AC coils. I do have icon's but I wont think there would be that big of a difference.
X2, but maybe it matters what else you had done to your truck. Maybe the fact that it is 2" taller and still rides like stock is testament enough. When I lifted my truck and still had stock shocks on front you could not do 75 down the highway without feeling like you were all over the place, and forget about taking the sway bar off.

Now the fact that it rides like its stock is a huge compliment. And then when I go in the dirt and things strech out, it was all worth while.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rads were set at 650 per greg. I took her for a long drive today and I can not notice any difference. The only difference that I notice is the front tires are now rubbing.

Disappointing after spending almost 2k. I guess I will see in 2 weeks when I head offroading for 5 days....

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Do you have them set at stock height? Have you taken any measurements to see how much lift you have? What was your old lift?

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Maybe you just haven't that oneness with your truck like other people have were you can sense and feel everything she is doing and it effects her drive-ability.

It's ok some people just think of it as transportation, nothing wrong with that but to some of us it what we live for it is passion. That is why I'm thinking about getting a fleshlight attachment made for mine. or maybe the fact It's been 394 days sense I last was able to driver her.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have them set the the height that greg shipped them. Everything was set per his recommendations. I told him the exact uses of the truck and I bought the setup per his recommendations.

Prior to putting this lift on, I had the PRG spacers in the front and back. I felt like the suspension was really loose, spongy and degrading over the past 2 years running the spacers. So I upgraded. Primarily because I am planning a 10 day expedition in the rockies and wanted to make sure that the suspension was the best it could be. I was also under the impression that I would notice the difference right away and it would be like night and day. Well its not. It feels the same as it did before. Maybe a VERY SLIGHT difference in the rear. But it might just be my mind playing tricks on me at a $1600 cost.

For the record this certainly is not a bash on PRG or greg. Graet service and what appear to be great products. Simply the fact that the OEM on my Nismo felt the same as the after market suspension. Had I known this, I wouldnt have dropped 2k.

I have enjoyed the truck for the past 3 years and prior to that I had a Yota SR5 for 15 years that I drove till the rear differential fell off (literally). So I do know the way the truck runs and feels. Both trucks have seen some of the most remote areas of Colorado, Wyoming and Utah.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I'm almost thinking in my case its that the Rads need re-conditioning. I am the second owner of them so maybe they don't ride as well now. I did have the nitrogen recharged right before I put them on. I went to Ohlins ( the headquarters is 1/2 hour from here) to get them filled. The guys over there said they could make me a set of Ohlins for the front of my truck if I want. Maybe I'll sell my Rads and try the Ohlins. hmm. descisions.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I'm almost thinking in my case its that the Rads need re-conditioning. I am the second owner of them so maybe they don't ride as well now. I did have the nitrogen recharged right before I put them on. I went to Ohlins ( the headquarters is 1/2 hour from here) to get them filled. The guys over there said they could make me a set of Ohlins for the front of my truck if I want. Maybe I'll sell my Rads and try the Ohlins. hmm. descisions.
I didn't know they made anything besides Motorcycle Shocks. Also if they are to stiff lower the PSI in them that will soften them up. Part of tuning is adjusting the PSI.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
That could be too, I had them put them to 200psi like PRG told me.

Ohlins makes alot of shocks for things. ATV's, Motorcyles, snomobiles (they have been making them for Yamaha snowmobiles for over 20 years) , race cars, and I may have to get them to make some for the Frontier too.lol

·
Registered
880 Posts
I just put on the PRG basic coilover pkg w/deavers this weekend. At first it felt pretty much the same, and I thought my stock sh!t was pretty sagged out. But after driving it a while I realized how much better it really was. The back seems a little stiffer than before, but still feels better in a sense. The front, I left the coilovers set how I got them. It wasn't mind blowing by any means, but I did notice they LOVE the gravel road washboards. That was a night and day difference to me. Soooo smooth compared to before, I don't feel the need to dodge washboards anymore. The Rad's seem to be able to handle most bumps real nice. But no different for the quick, abrupt, expansion crack type bumps. Next to no nose dive in braking, much less body roll, and much less squat from the back. I used to get a cool prerunner type feeling squat in the back when I really chomped on it, not any more. I've now put on atleast 100miles without an alignment yet, I decided to crank up the coilovers a little bit to get level. It ended up being about a 3/4"-1" adjustment on each side. This small adjustment has made a pretty significant difference in the ride quality. It defintely feels as though its not only stiffer, but kinda feels less progressive.

Over all, I was kinda hoping it would look a little higher, but im happy. And really it is only a 3" max lift kit anyways. I was kinda hoping for a "night and day" difference ride quality, but its not. It is however still enough to think the Radflo's were a great buy, as well as the AAL deavers.

Thumbs up for Radflo's and Deaver AAL's from me so far.

·
Registered
880 Posts
^^^That's my next step. Just wanted to drive around for a week or so, that way I can make a good judgment call. Was thinking that it would probably help my situation. And your description is the best way to put it, "let the coilover work". This is exactly the feeling I lost when I cranked them up a bit. Feels like they're not being worked hard enough to soak sh!t up. Feels like they're more suited for "bashing" now than "street manners". Regardless, Im still super pumped I have my first lifted truck, and will do as you suggest with sway-bar removal.

Now I just need my KM2's. HAHA.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts