Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard someone recently say that a popular mod is swapping in Audi R8 coil packs. Is this really a thing? They say the dyno shows +9hp and +15tq for all VQs. I would imagine that would eat the spark plugs? Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I saw that too. I'm always skeptical of claims like that, but I'm far from an expert in these matters.

I sure wouldn't try it on a new truck however!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Do you have the link?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The other thing is, do we need better spark on the VQ engines? They seem to be doing just fine with what they got!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Yeah, because we're talking about ol' RB and SR engines. What worked on those engines may not work on a VQ engine.

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
What is "back to back" and what Dyno was this on? What is the +/- on said brand of Dyno?

Unless you are boosting an engine, I highly doubt spark is an issue with most engines, and if it was, it would be at very high RPM's which, we are NOT spinning.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think he means he ran several tests in a row. He didn’t mention what dyno it was on. But yeah im a little skeptical about it. Ive been a euro car mechanic for about 7 years and never heard of spark being an issue on anything until this

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah that’s kinda what I figured
I know that it has been months ago that you were looking into this Audi R8 ignition idea. The last thing I would fool with on today's engines are the electronic bits that were engineered to work perfectly within their design from the factory, and just like in the movie 'Tron' the "MCP" Master Control Program, or the ECM, your Electronic Control Module on these cars and trucks watches everything you've changed to make certain that the alteration does not throw things out of factory tolerances, if that occurs your ECM begins to rebalance the math until it can no longer, or until a surge fries the ECM...$$$$.$$ For MORE power electronically save your money find a legitimate "tuner shop" or race shop and start there, you've spent too much to have dependable transportation to ruin it based upon internet drivel. Increased airflow via turbo's, intercooled-turbos, and superchargers are a great safe method to increase power. Change the injectors to a larger size, but that takes someone who knows how to adjust the correct fuel to air ratio, mix it too rich wastes gasoline, and can lead to a fire. Save your money find a quality shop, top quality, they will refer you to trusted people if they are outside of your price range. Save $5000.00 and you can have a Supercharger installed properly. Save $200 per month and in 2 years you've got a really sweet sleeper. Next the Exhaust shop, then the tuner shop, next the rear end, then change the gearbox... Next thing you know you've got a 4.5 sec or-60, 150 mph Frontier. It doesn't hurt to dream, that is what this country was built upon.

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
I just wanted to chime in on this post because of my past experience modifying past cars I owned over the years. Most modern coil on plug systems, like those used on the Frontier are pretty good. In the past, with spark plug wire leads and a cap and rotor like the SR20 had (I built a SR20 in my 2001 Sentra SE) this WOULD be an upgrade.

Though, you need to keep in mind that most folks do this for forced induction vehicles. They do this as an upgrade because as boost goes up, the cylinder pressure goes up and can have miss fire issues.

On a normally aspirated vehicle like the Frontier and the VQ40? It makes no sense to me. Getting 9hp and 15tq from doing the mod on a stock tune running 87? I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THIS. On a tuned stock vehicle maybe, but that is only because the tuners will tune your vehicle for 91 (or 93 depending on where you live) and that is where the extra HP and TQ come from, NOT the coil packs themselves.

Would it be worth doing this mod on your tuck? IMO? No. Especially if there is no plug n play options. If there was a plug n play option?? Why not. I seriously doubt you would notice any difference at all.

If you want some a real solid HP increase? Get a header back exhaust and get it tuned for premium fuel. Or look into forced induction.

Interesting Topic though. As my Dad tells me "If its too good to be true?? Usually Is".

·
Registered
347 Posts
Done a bunch of smaller mods and now I have the Intake Spacer, Audi Coils and Adapters ready for next weeks install...just need it to freakin' cool down. Still 90 degrees at 11:15 tonight. Lol. A couple of guys have tried what I'm doing...some liked it, while others went to UPREV Tune. I designed a True Dual set up which I'm having built and then a rear gear change, because 3:13's (or ?) aren't cutting it...lol. .Hey, I'm old and have nothing to do but play around with my truck. Best mod so far, FOR ME, was lowering and Hellwig Rear Sway Bar.
Take Care and Stay Safe Guys. We now have 11,000 new cases a day average here. Another reason I stay home.

Reactions: lmat
1 - 15 of 15 Posts