Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm my last 2 vehicles I have gotten the biggest possible magnaflow mufflers put on, and both times walked away super happy. The sound kinda leaves people curious if I have anything done or not. Sounds 90% stock unless I step on it. I'm going to try it again.

I ended up getting the 24" inch body magnaflow muffler for $100. I have read a bunch of threads about the 14" and 18" but non regarding the 22" or 24". Just doing a muffler swap and it should be here Monday. I think I may be the first person here to test it :cool:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm my last 2 vehicles I have gotten the biggest possible magnaflow mufflers put on, and both times walked away super happy. The sound kinda leaves people curious if I have anything done or not. Sounds 90% stock unless I step on it. I'm going to try it again.

I ended up getting the 24" inch body magnaflow muffler for $100. I have read a bunch of threads about the 14" and 18" but non regarding the 22" or 24". Just doing a muffler swap and it should be here Monday. I think I may be the first person here to test it :cool:
Let us know how it goes. Pics and a sound clip or it didn’t happen!

Reactions: PomptonFresh

·
Registered
805 Posts

Guinea pig let us know! good luck.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
OK, easy tiger. I didn't say the Magnaflow sounded bad, or like a coffee can strapped to a late 90's 4 cylinder. It sounds great and definitely enhances the sound, but the interior noise is not mild, as advertised. It has a nice sound to it, and I can tolerate the interior noise. This guy is looking for something quiet on the inside and loud on the outside. Not happening, unless you want to spend some loot.
Only way I can think of that you're going to pull this off, is line the interior of the cab with Dynamat or somesuch, and after the muffler's in, experiment, tune and install a Helmholtz resonator to kill the exhaust drone at the RPM it is greatest. Not an afternoon project. Upside is the stereo'll sound better.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think I'll be replacing the pinched y pipe with a magnaflow y pipe adapter .. any one know the part number on that? I'm not sure if I should get the 2" dual to 2.5" single or 2.25 dual to 2.5 single

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SL, Flowmaster FX, cold air intake, rear axle vent mod, class III hitch and light kit.
14 Posts
I like the sound of my Flowmaster FX. It is listed as "mild" and it is. I turned the exhaust out ahead of my rear tire to eliminate the "over the rear axle" extended exhaust and mine is still quite mild with little to no drone at all. Opened up the intake and that made the exhaust note even milder. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SL, Flowmaster FX, cold air intake, rear axle vent mod, class III hitch and light kit.
14 Posts
PomptonFresh, what did you wind up going with?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I haven't installed it yet, but went with a flowmaster 70 series, total flow y pipe adapter, and exhaust tip. Seems like the 70 series is the biggest and most quiet.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
How does it sound?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Rev Clips... gotta say, just from bringing her home the sound level is identical in the cab and outside. The only difference is the pitch, it sounds deeper/smoother. I'll post an update on sound in a few days after some normal city / highway driving. So far I'm extremely happy, I wanted the same sound level that sounded sexier, while helping the engine flow better.

·
Registered
2015 crew SV value pkg 4x4
20 Posts
Rev Clips... gotta say, just from bringing her home the sound level is identical in the cab and outside. The only difference is the pitch, it sounds deeper/smoother. I'll post an update on sound in a few days after some normal city / highway driving. So far I'm extremely happy, I wanted the same sound level that sounded sexier, while helping the engine flow better.

WOW!!! I am absolutely impressed. And I have been a huge opponent to ANY exhaust changes to the Frontier because it just never sounds good. If anything I would say yours has gotten even quieter at startup. with a decent sound during revs. I'm curious to see what it sounds like in a few weeks after the muffler has carboned up a little bit. Although since its not a fiberglass packed muffler, it shouldn't change much at all. I'm also curious if mpg goes up at all. Normally on modern trucks, a muffler change won't do much. But Flowmaster's chambered design if nothing else, definitely helps with scavenging combined with the smoother flow of the y-pipe. I really would not be surprised to hear you're getting a little bit more mpg.

·
Registered
2015 crew SV value pkg 4x4
20 Posts
@PomptonFresh did you keep your old muffler? reason I ask is I am very curious what the flow path inside the stock muffler looks like.
I know on F150's the last couple generations had a very free flowing stock muffler. It was HUGE, but it was a straight through design. So there really wasn't any performance gains to be found simply because it flowed well enough to not even hinder supercharged engines until you got up around the 600hp range. I would love to cut open a stock 2nd gen Frontier muffler just to see how restrictive it really is.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes I kept it just in case. I'll give it a look when I get home from work. I won't cut it open but ill definitely give it a look.

Reactions: MPETE

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I hope I get a couple more mpgs 😏 I will keep an eye on it. The power feels the same as before no drop off or additional but the truck seems to feel a little smoother running through the gears. The efficiency is absolutely felt, time will tell on how efficient. After I posted I drove to work, sounded maybe 10 percent louder than stock. From 1k to 3k it sounds about 10% to 15% louder than stock. But I think what I'm hearing is 5% more sound and the rest is just the deeper tone. I put on cruise control on the highway. 70 to 73 sounds stock. 73 to 75 about 5% more sound. 75 and up 10% more. That pretty much covers the 2k to 2.5k rpm band that everyone gets concerned about. I also wouldn't call it a drone, the drone sound tends to have a specific sound this is just a deeper note.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
@13frontierDR has a pic of a cut open factory muffler, iirc. Perhaps he can repost it or someone w/ more time available can dig it out of the archives.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Unfortunately the picture is on an old phone that went in the water. I'd like to see it again though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Found them Screenshot_20200716-063924.png

Reactions: MPETE and cuda383

·
Registered
174 Posts
Reactions: MPETE

·
Registered
805 Posts

Sounds good! A little more throaty (if that's a word). Not overbearing at all.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts