Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know.. not another exhaust thread, but this is slightly different and haven't found an answer after going through all the threads on this forum. So here we go:

I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust (2019 Frontier 4.0) with no drone and keeping it as quiet as can be. I was originally going to go with the Gibson CatBack System, but may prefer my exhaust to be even quieter. Would these mufflers listed be quieter than the Gibson CatBack? Also of these 3 mufflers listed which is the quietest? I did the research and picked the biggest sizes that would fit and the mildest of the selected brands. Hope someone can help!

(all mufflers are 2.5 in/out offset)

Magnaflow #12286

Flowmaster #52573

Thrush Turbo #17718

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think what invasion is trying to say is that most everyone doing just a muffler (and not extensive modifications to the complete exhaust system) experience some sort of drone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
^^^ what they said. The Magnaflow is supposed to be pretty quiet. News flash... IT'S NOT. I get some drone in the cab at lower RPMs and it can get annoying. I mentioned it to Magnaflow, and they haven't responded. Though I don't know what they would say anyway except "sorry". :D

The up side is that it sounds nicer from the outside.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ what they said. The Magnaflow is supposed to be pretty quiet. News flash... IT'S NOT. I get some drone in the cab at lower RPMs and it can get annoying. I mentioned it to Magnaflow, and they haven't responded. Though I don't know what they would say anyway except "sorry". :D

The up side is that it sounds nicer from the outside.
What Magnaflow are you running? and is it with the stock piping /cats?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cat-back, no other mods.

...oh, and I replaced the gaskets with higher quality ones as well as the stock ones are $#!t. Still, no difference.
I believe the magnaflow catback not only has a larger diameter piping but also only has an 18" casing. Stock pipes with a 24" casing should put out considerably less volume. 🤔

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
The only way to get no drone with aftermarket is resonators. Period.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have no experience with the ones you have listed. All I can say is I love my Gibson Cat-back exhaust.

Reactions: PomptonFresh

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
The innards of our YUUUGE stock muffler are very complicated, an obviously provide for a fairly quiet exhaust sound/tone. It will not flow like a straight-thru muffler, but unless you're trying to shave a couple/few tenths from your 1/4 mile ET, it won't be worth the tradeoff in sound if you want a quiet truck. None of those mufflers above will be close to quiet. Of the three, the FM70 'should' be the least loud.
Performance mufflers are generally sold to folks who simply want their vehicle louder to begin with.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Nothing looks or sounds more ridiculous than an adult acting like a 16 yearold high school kid driving around in a frontier that sounds like a honda civic with a ten dollar glasspac clamped on back.............lol

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
Off the subject a bit:
In some ways, a V6 can actually sound worse than a fartcan I4. Our particular V6 w/ its valve train timing gizmos make for some unwanted rasp at particular RPM ranges. If long tube headers are installed & the cats are removed (for off-road use!), it has been described as very challenging to tame ALL the sounds from idle to redline. There are some super extravagant exhaust systems in some of the older/archived posts w/ pics.

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
Sounds like you should stay stock.
👆👆👆👆
What he said. Why bother changing? You will gain very little HP or TQ gain over stock exhaust UNLESS you run a tune. So whats the point? Most people change the exhaust for the noise. You don't want the noise. Stay Stock.

If you ABSOLUTELY have to have an exhaust just because. You can't go wrong with a Magnaflow. Just don't expect some HP gains as advertised. Gains are made with tunes not bolt ons. Some times you actually LOSE power unless your tuned. Many folks don't realize that.

So what is wrong with the stock exhaust and why do you want to change it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
👆👆👆👆
What he said. Why bother changing? You will gain very little HP or TQ gain over stock exhaust UNLESS you run a tune. So whats the point? Most people change the exhaust for the noise. You don't want the noise. Stay Stock.

If you ABSOLUTELY have to have an exhaust just because. You can't go wrong with a Magnaflow. Just don't expect some HP gains as advertised. Gains are made with tunes not bolt ons. Some times you actually LOSE power unless your tuned. Many folks don't realize that.

So what is wrong with the stock exhaust and why do you want to change it?
Honestly this is probably the best sounding V6 from the factory IMO.. I thought about getting a muffler but wasn’t going to shell out for a complete exhaust system and resonators, etc. so I decided to be happy staying stock.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Honestly this is probably the best sounding V6 from the factory IMO.. I thought about getting a muffler but wasn’t going to shell out for a complete exhaust system and resonators, etc. so I decided to be happy staying stock.
Agreed 100% 👆 👆 👆 👆
Unless you get a header back exhaust and a tune, you will see so little gain vs cost, whats the point?🙄

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I see I'm gunna get some extra added sound and I'm ok with that as long as it stays pretty calm. I'm currently between the gibson catback and the 30" magnaflow. Which of the 2 systems you guys think will be quieter?

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Not sure what you budget is but why not do it right and get this... You can buy just the muffler but if your going through the trouble?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nothing looks or sounds more ridiculous than an adult acting like a 16 yearold high school kid driving around in a frontier that sounds like a honda civic with a ten dollar glasspac clamped on back.............lol
OK, easy tiger. I didn't say the Magnaflow sounded bad, or like a coffee can strapped to a late 90's 4 cylinder. It sounds great and definitely enhances the sound, but the interior noise is not mild, as advertised. It has a nice sound to it, and I can tolerate the interior noise. This guy is looking for something quiet on the inside and loud on the outside. Not happening, unless you want to spend some loot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts