Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I had blown my old locking rear end and per nissan had to replace my whole axle and replaced it with a new one from nissan,.. my question is that I heard that the newer axles have a stronger diff and that the design is slightly different,. I saved the old axle shafts and am wondering if I blow the newer stronger axle somehow could I put an arb in using my old axles,. as I think I heard somewhere that the arb wont fit the newer rear ends b/c of the changes which I think have to do with the axles,.. just wondering,.. thanks

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The changes you speak of in the locking rear ends have to do with spider gears.

They went from 2 to 4 in newer models.

As to everything else you asked about, I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Nothing changed except for the spider count.

On the Titan thou, they switched to a 35 spline on the 08+ but the Frontier m226 still has the 32 spline set-up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats reassuring,.. I dont know if I read that somewhere or imagined that I did,... I did some poking around back there when I put my new diff cover on and from what I could see compared to the old one and with the build date I'm 99.9% sure Ive got the 4 vs 2 ,.. but now if its as strong as should be then maybe those spare axle shafts will come in handy one day,... btw its crazy what they did with the titan rears,.. cramming all that in the same housings,.. I would have thought they would have just made a d60 clone,.. but I guess its just cheaper to modify what you've got,..

Thanks for clarifying that for me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts