Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 Frontier XE King cab, 4cyl, 5MT. It has 140000 miles on the clock and I changed the manual trans and diff fluid at 60k at the Nissan dealership many years ago. I have been having a faint grinding in 2nd/3rd for the past 20k miles I think related to the synchros since if I add a slight delay between shifts for the engine rpms to "catch up" there are no noises at all. It only happens if I shift quickly/aggressively.

Now, I called the dealership where I had my MT oil changed last and they told me they put in GL-5 in it since that is "what they use". When I countered that the manual calls for GL-4 due to GL-5 being harsh on the synchros they looked at me like I was talking Greek. Infact, they did not even have any idea what GL-4/GL-5 even was, they had to look it up. And this was the service advisor I was speaking with LMAO! It's too late to worry about the GL-5 they put in but I did not want to repeat the mistake by letting them change my fluids again.

Today I went to an independent shop and changed BOTH the MT oil/rear differential oil to Redline MT85 (75w85) - I had to order the oil online as it wasn't available in any shop! I can tell that shifting is noticeably smoother right away and no noises when shifting so all is well I think.

My question is this - I know MT85 works well with the manual transmission, I researched this. However, the manual calls for GL-5 80w90 in the rear diff (final drive). The service guy at the shop insisted that MT85 will do just as well so I went with it. Was this a good call? I figured it shouldn't matter too much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Redline site for MT85 states the following: MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7

Note that nowhere do they say it has a GL-5 rating. Standard gear oil has sulfur additives which are "EP" (Extreme Pressure) and required for differential gears.

Redline does sell a line of GL-5-rated differential oils so that might be a better choice:

https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=4

I would drain the MT-85 out of the diff and use the Redline diff oil or any number of synthetic-based GL-5 gear oils that you could find locally at Wally's, Autozone, NAPA, etc.

Hopefully the dlr's foulup on the tranny oil hasn't done permanent damage. I run ZuZu's as well as my Frontier, and using GL-5 gear oil in a ZuZu MUA-5 manual tranny is almost Certain Death; bad for the synchros and the thicker oil doesn't flow properly into the small bearing passages. Most of the time either synchro issues or very noisy input bearing.

IMHO, if you do have problems with the trans that can be attributed to the dlr installing the wrong oil, they should still be liable. But you'd probably have to consult Legal on that. I would definitely make the dlr document their mistake, for record purposes.

HTH & G'luck...........ed

p.s. I just fixed my leaky shift boot and need to drain/refill since I don't know how much fluid leaked out.

Was thinking about using Redline or other performance oil, how much did you end up putting in the trans? The manual I have says refill is 4.2 pints.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Redline work very well in notchy nissan 5 sp transmissions.

I would agree to use something else in the diff. The MT specially states NO DIFF.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, I've driven only 5 miles on it so far and i'm going back to the shop tomorrow morning anyway for a fuel filter change, will ask them to drain it and fill GL-5 synthetic that I will get from an Autozone.

The problem is that I went to the Nissan dealership and spoke to the Service Advisor, he did not even know what a GL-4/GL-5 spec oil was. His words verbatim: "GL-4? What is that?" I just left.

As for damage liability it's going to be hard to prove the damage is associated with their change since it's been so long... I think this is why these jackasses get away with it. I have half a mind to lodge a complaint with Nissan that official recommendations and specs are not being adhered to at the dealership.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Sounds like a dealer reply to me. Not sure if they are really that stupid or if they are just playing dumb. The less one knows the less they are responsible for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goofed up a bit again...grr. Went in this morning but bought only 1 qt of Valvoline GL-5 full synthetic. I somehow thought the capacity was 1 qt but infact it's 1.3 qts. Anyways the guy drained the existing stuff and put in 1qt of GL-5 and topped it up to capacity (.2-.3 qts) with the Redline GL-4 MT85. I'm not going to be too bothered about it.

Another thing I noticed is that the filler plug does not go all the way in? I pointed it out to the tech and he said that is how it is and it's tight and not going anywhere. Does it look right to you? Pic is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah that fill plug is normal. Mine has about 3-4 threads showing. Its snug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts