Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking into buying a 2001 Nissan Frontier XE. It's a crew cab with 4wd. It's also an automatic. I asked the dealership what the towing capacity was and she said she'd look, then emailed me back and said 3500lbs.When I looked it up myself, Google and some other sites say "5000lbs" for the automatic and 3500lbs for the manual. Is there a chance this one is really 5000lbs or does it just depend on the particular truck? How would I know to find one with the higher limit if I were to continue looking for a different one?

I'm looking for a small size truck that can pull a small camper or trailer every so often so would like the 5000lbs if possible. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So I'm looking into buying a 2001 Nissan Frontier XE. It's a crew cab with 4wd. It's also an automatic. I asked the dealership what the towing capacity was and she said she'd look, then emailed me back and said 3500lbs.When I looked it up myself, Google and some other sites say "5000lbs" for the automatic and 3500lbs for the manual. Is there a chance this one is really 5000lbs or does it just depend on the particular truck? How would I know to find one with the higher limit if I were to continue looking for a different one?

I'm looking for a small size truck that can pull a small camper or trailer every so often so would like the 5000lbs if possible. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I think 5k is going to be really tough with the 1st gen V-6. Especially since it's 15yrs old. I wouldn't tow 5k with a 1st gen even if I was towing the RV just in state w/o mountains or steep hills. Your profile doesn't say what state your in.

I have a 4700lb dry weight RV I just took it down to Georgia this last weekend. It did just fine, but I don't like pushing 3000-4000rpm to get up steep hills in 4th gear in a 11yr old truck, maintaining 65-70mph. It's a heavy load for a 4000lb truck, and riderite air bags, stabilizer hitch, and trailer brakes are a must.

Please look into a full size, or Titan if you want to tow a 5k RV regularly, you'll be much happier and have less grey hair.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think 5k is going to be really tough with the 1st gen V-6. Especially since it's 15yrs old. I wouldn't tow 5k with a 1st gen even if I was towing the RV just in state w/o mountains or steep hills. Your profile doesn't say what state your in.

I have a 4700lb dry weight RV I just took it down to Georgia this last weekend. It did just fine, but I don't like pushing 3000-4000rpm to get up steep hills in 4th gear in a 11yr old truck, maintaining 65-70mph. It's a heavy load for a 4000lb truck, and riderite air bags, stabilizer hitch, and trailer brakes are a must.

Please look into a full size, or Titan if you want to tow a 5k RV regularly, you'll be much happier and have less grey hair.
Oh I definitely don't plan on maxing it out or using the full 5000! We'll probably end up with a camper around 2500lbs - maaaaybe 3000lbs. I just would like to have that extra wiggle room so that a 2500lb camper isn't pushing it too hard once loaded up. Depending on what we end up getting it might be lighter than that - we're debating a pop up so it could be even smaller.

Also, I live in eastern SD so maybe some hills but no mountains or anything. It would only be off and on during the summer (maybe 5-6 times) depending on how much we camp that year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the 3.3 2001 frontier i have a trailer with a 1600lb dry weight and i have a maverick that i like to take out to some dunes thats about 3600 pounds total you think my truck will be fine to tow that much weight?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts