Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm looking casually at going back to a truck (current ride is an 08 TL-S), and the main truck of interest is the fronty. I've had Nissans (maxima, altima, G35, 350z) so I know they're pretty reliable.

I'd like a 2wd PRO4X. The truck would be used for commuting, seldom if any off-road (maybe a trail road). In the 4 years I had a Tacoma TRD 4wd I went off road 3-4 times. What i'd like to know is how do guys find the PRO4X suspension for daily use? An SE would be more paractical, but I like the looks (color keyed mirrors and bumpers) of the PRO4X. Also I like the PRO4X package (seats, RF, etc).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had an 08' 4x4 se and now a '10 4x4 P4x. The ride is a bit stiffer, but not as bad as the 4wd Tacoma I had in 2004. It is my daily driver thru cruddy city streets & I dont even notice anything.
When I ride in a 'sedan' I feel like I'm in my grandads '84 Coupe De Ville--bobbing & leaning all over the road.
Go fer it...but where do you live? Anywhere that gets snow? If not, then I guess the 2wd would be fine, but I'd personally rather have the 4wd and only need it once a year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an 08' 4x4 se and now a '10 4x4 P4x. The ride is a bit stiffer, but not as bad as the 4wd Tacoma I had in 2004. It is my daily driver thru cruddy city streets & I dont even notice anything.
When I ride in a 'sedan' I feel like I'm in my grandads '84 Coupe De Ville--bobbing & leaning all over the road.
Go fer it...but where do you live? Anywhere that gets snow? If not, then I guess the 2wd would be fine, but I'd personally rather have the 4wd and only need it once a year.
I'm in Dallas. Good point I'll have to debate the cost vs. benefit. With my tacoma every 6 - 9 months i'd have to put it 4wd and drive across a field and back just to lube the diffy. That was easy when I was in Phoenix, i could probably find a field around here somewhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
yeah man if you do go for a truck, get a 4x4 for sure

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm in Dallas. Good point I'll have to debate the cost vs. benefit. With my tacoma every 6 - 9 months i'd have to put it 4wd and drive across a field and back just to lube the diffy. That was easy when I was in Phoenix, i could probably find a field around here somewhere.

Thanks
The front differential spins actively in these trucks. That allows for "shift on the fly" which also means it's getting a workout (of some sort) even when not engaged.

As for 4wd vs 2wd, well, you yourself said commuter + maybe a trail road now an then. That speaks 2wd all day long. I spent time in AZ (lots of sand), the UP of Michigan (234 inches of snow), Florida (more sand), and the NM/TX area (again, more sand) and was able to get many places in 2wd that surprised others. A lot of it is about the driver behind the wheel.

If you don't regularly seek out rocks or mud to crawl over or through, 4wd is not needed. Dallas does not see enough snow to care, and when they do, you're probably best to stay at home and not get killed by the idiots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The front differential spins actively in these trucks. That allows for "shift on the fly" which also means it's getting a workout (of some sort) even when not engaged.

As for 4wd vs 2wd, well, you yourself said commuter + maybe a trail road now an then. That speaks 2wd all day long. I spent time in AZ (lots of sand), the UP of Michigan (234 inches of snow), Florida (more sand), and the NM/TX area (again, more sand) and was able to get many places in 2wd that surprised others. A lot of it is about the driver behind the wheel.

If you don't regularly seek out rocks or mud to crawl over or through, 4wd is not needed. Dallas does not see enough snow to care, and when they do, you're probably best to stay at home and not get killed by the idiots.
+1 to that!!! These people are dangerous in the rain let alone snow.. :)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have to tell you, you are going to hate the Frontier or any truck. I had a co-worker with a TL manual that drove my truck one day to get home so his TL could be towed to the dealer for some warranty work and he was amazed how crappy the brakes were. This is all because he went from a semi-sports car to a truck. He also had the brembo's so that is a big difference besides the weight.

If you have already accepted that then the Frontier is a great truck.

I have to question your choice of an Pro over an SE or LE. For what you do, an LE would probably be a better choice. A 4x4 is almost useless and will just give you less mpg. It may help in resale thou since TX has more 4wd trucks then almost anywhere, lol.

In the end it is up to you, just look at your situation and figure out which package works best. You could always have your mirors painted to match your truck or heck, you could add some chrome ones (real ones, not that crappy overlay stuff). Then if you do enough mods, you could put the Pro stickers on it but please don't just put them on a stock SE. It would be like putting an SS badge on a v6 Camaro, just not right. Badges should be earned, not just slapped on, lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a '10 Pro4X, and have to say that, for use as a commuter, its probably the last vehicle I would choose. I needed mine to haul dirt, rocks, trees, garbage, pull an trailer, and get me through the New England winters, but as a commuter, it sucks. It rides very stiff, though not as bad as the lesser Frontiers or Tacos, it handles like a truck, and it gets low gas mileage. If you don't need 4wd, don't get it. If you don't need a truck, don't get it. If you only need a truck on rare occasion, buy an older, used one, and get a nice car for commuting. If you just want to have a Pro4X because its the coolest looking, most dependable truck built today, then buy it, but don't expect to get great fuel economy and a great ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

Thanks, some great replies. I do accept that the frontier is a truck. Mileage is somewhat of a concern. Unfortunatly the PRO4X just looks killer, the LE isn't bad, just not a rugged as the PRO. I also have a TL-s w/ brembos (5- speed auto), so yes I imagine that there would be numerous test drives before a decision could be made. That car can handle. My wife has an Asender (Trailblazer), I'm assuming the fronty handles closer to that.

One side note... Once in a while I'll think about changing vehicles, then I need to go somewhere in the TL-S, usaully on the way back I'm thinking "I like this car". :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts