Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to replace my stock General Grabber AWs on my 2005 SE CC with 16" 5-spoke wheels. I plan to put the same size (265/70R16) Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOs on there.

A few questions:

First, what part of the valve stem and cap should be preserved to support the tire pressure monitor system? Just the caps?

Second, each time I have put new tires on my vehicles in the past, the installer has applied the lead weights along the rim to balance the tire. On my 5-spoke rims, it doesn't seem like they would go on the edges as there's no similar lip to clip to. Would these go inside or on the other side of the rims? I would want to clarify before they soldered something onto the rim that would affect the look.

Third, would you advise having the work done at the dealership with tires you bought yourself or at a Bridgestone dealer as the vendor of the tires?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the frontier utilizes the ABS system to monitor the tire pressure. As in, it only calculates a difference in speed relative to the other wheels, slower: low on air. I could very well be wrong on that.

As far as the weights, MOST companies use smaller adhesive type weights on the inside part of the wheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, my understanding about the tire pressure monitoring system was that there was some sort of radio interaction via the stems and some receiver. In the manual there is an FCC warning and a note about interference from modifications. I don't recall much detail about the system in the manual. I also remember someone mentioning to be careful about not losing the valve caps for their role in the system and their cost to replace. I too could be wrong though...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think that it is a relative comparison between all four tires using some sort of transmitter (possibly in the valve stem or cap, I'm unsure). So if one was low it would rotate at a different speed than the other three therefore setting off the warning.

If I remember right there are reports of people putting on the spare and getting the warning because the spare doesn't contain the transmitter.

As far as what you need to use on the new rims, I don't know. I'm sure someone who has swapped rims will know and speak up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update on this... I called the dealer to get information on what needs to be watched out for when changing the tires on these wheels and how it might impact the TPMS.

Was told - unsuprisingly - that this was a complicated process and should probably be done at a Nissan shop.

In any case, they did beat the price of the tire dealer, so I will probably be going ahead and having the work done at the dealer where I bought the truck, which eases my concerns about wheel damage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A dealer beat someone else's price? You don't see that everyday.

But we still have no resolution on how the TPMS really works or how to do a rim swap ourselves. It can't be that hard. All we've come up with here is theories with no facts on the system.

Edit: Did some searching around and found the info below. From what I'm understanding all you would need to swap out is the metal valve stems into the new rims.

http://p085.ezboard.com/ftunfsfrm41.showMessage?topicID=869.topic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stormrider,

Thanks for digging up that info. Much appreciated. OkieScot describes the system in that thread here:

"The sensors are in a black box at the inside end of the valve stem. I was surprised that it was as big as it is. I did not get
close enough to see what it is made of, but I'll try to see on the next swap, probably first part of next week."

Good to know. Also, on second check of the tire dealer's price vs the Nissan dealer, I did miss the fact that the tire dealer had a price, then applied a discount per tire down the line, which brought it about 5 dollars cheaper per tire. Closer, but still a negligible difference and I'm still fine with erroring on the side of the Nissan dealer.

Thanks all for your comments.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new to the forum here. I currently work for nissan and found that this information may help the 05 and up frontier owners. The tpms system works with a transmitter inside the wheel which is part of the valve stem. If you swap wheels you should be careful and make sure that the transmitter will fit correctly on the wheel you have choosen. if not installed correctly you risk breaking a hundred plus dollar transmitter and new transmitters must be activated by nissan only.

·
Registered
482 Posts
So if I put on a new set of wheels and tires, can I take out the valve stems with the tpms transmitters from the factory wheels and put them in the new wheels and have the system still work properly?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dug up this old thread because I'm about to swap wheels and tires and was currious about this whole TPMS thing. Sounds like a PITA any way you slice it. Somehow I've managed to live for 37 years without TPMS so I've decided it won't kill me to do without it on this truck too. I'll buy me a fancy digital air guage with a laser pointer and lots of LED's and be just as happy.

:?:
My question however, if I sell my LE 17" wheels and tires to someone else, will the transmitters in my wheels work with their reciver? Do they all transmit at the same frequency? Anyone? Beuler?

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
mrdezyne said:
Dug up this old thread because I'm about to swap wheels and tires and was currious about this whole TPMS thing. Sounds like a PITA any way you slice it. Somehow I've managed to live for 37 years without TPMS so I've decided it won't kill me to do without it on this truck too. I'll buy me a fancy digital air guage with a laser pointer and lots of LED's and be just as happy.

:?:
My question however, if I sell my LE 17" wheels and tires to someone else, will the transmitters in my wheels work with their reciver? Do they all transmit at the same frequency? Anyone? Beuler?
I thought the Pressure monitor was just a plug in sensor so it should work with someone else truck as long as they have the sensor. And I would agree the Pressure monitor is a huge PITA if you ask me. Also nice reference to one of the best movies of all time!! Ferris Bueller is my Hero!!! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts