Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
After just looking for longer than I'd like to admit, I finally sprung and got a Frontier. It's a black 2011 King Cab 4x4 V6 6 speed Manual with 146,000 miles. I want to have this truck for the foreseeable future and so I'm going to perform as much preventative maintenance as possible. Given that, I have a few questions about how to keep it in good shape. All I know about previous maintenance is that 2 axle seals were replaced in the last 10,000 miles, the clutch was done around 100,000 miles, and that the oil was changed 100 miles ago. Other than that, I'm going to operate on the assumption its been awhile since other maintenance items have been done.

1. I read through the owners manuals and maintenance schedule PDFs that have been posted on this site, and the Nissan Maintenance schedule only goes up through 120,000. Im past that, so what are items that I should check or replace or change? And once those services are completed, what intervals should I expect to have to redo them? I know engine, differential and transfer case oil intervals, but other than that I couldn't find brake fluid flush intervals or the like.

2. There are a significant amount of small (0.5-2mm) paint chips on the hood/front of the car, as well as a few significant rust bubbles in other spots. Other than sanding down and repainting (I'm worried I won't be able to blend the colors well enough and it will look bad) Is there any wax or polish technique I can use to slow down rust and corrosion?

Thanks in advance guys! Im really excited to finally have a fronty and join the club 馃槑
P.S. Would also appreciate any other general advice of things I might not know but should, and sorry if I asked questions that have been already answered here on this forum.

Registered
Welcome...congrats on your new Fronty!

Your first question...whenever I buy a used vehicle with some miles on it I always change any and all fluids (diffs, tranny, engine, brake, coolant) and all filters (fuel, air, oil, tranny, axle vent). Then you start from 0 on the 120k maintenance schedule.

Your second question...the only thing you can do as a rust preventative if you're not gonna repaint it is touch-up paint the chips to keep them from being exposed to the elements.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome...congrats on your new Fronty!

Your first question...whenever I buy a used vehicle with some miles on it I always change any and all fluids (diffs, tranny, engine, brake, coolant) and all filters (fuel, air, oil, tranny, axle vent). Then you start from 0 on the 120k maintenance schedule.

Your second question...the only thing you can do as a rust preventative if you're not gonna repaint it is touch-up paint the chips to keep them from being exposed to the elements.
Thanks for the response Kelly, hadn't though of just restarting the given maintenance schedule but its a great idea now that you say it. Does the manual transmission have a filter? I couldn't find anything about a filter, but there are a few threads here of people who had trouble shifting after they changed their transmission oil. Is that a common problem I should be worried about if I use Nissan OEM fluid?

Registered
Thanks for the response Kelly, hadn't though of just restarting the given maintenance schedule but its a great idea now that you say it. Does the manual transmission have a filter? I couldn't find anything about a filter, but there are a few threads here of people who had trouble shifting after they changed their transmission oil. Is that a common problem I should be worried about if I use Nissan OEM fluid?
No filter on the manual trans, just the auto. Yeah I've heard the same about shifting issues. Mostly it's people in colder climates complaining about the 1-2 shift when cold...no problems when warm. Best bet is Nissan fluid which is the factory fill. I've also heard of people having good luck with Redline and some with Amsoil too. But whatever you use make absolutely sure it's synthetic GL-4 rated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
No filter on the manual trans, just the auto. Yeah I've heard the same about shifting issues. Mostly it's people in colder climates complaining about the 1-2 shift when cold...no problems when warm. Best bet is Nissan fluid which is the factory fill. I've also heard of people having good luck with Redline and some with Amsoil too. But whatever you use make absolutely sure it's synthetic GL-4 rated.
I live in Buffalo NY so it definitely gets cold here. Since there are documented issues with shifting after changing the fluid, is it worth it? Or am I risking damaging the transmission by leaving the old fluid there?

Registered
I鈥檓 originally from buffalo and yes, it gets cold.
I鈥檇 change the trans fluid with a good synthetic fluid.

Registered
I currently live on the gulf coast so it doesn't get too cold down here but I can tell that my 6 speed is a little hesitant going into 1 & 2 when it's cold (but no big deal) and mine only has 17k miles on it with the factory fill.

To be honest it's just the nature of the beast. I've owned several manuals (currently own 2) and they all have been a little stubborn when it's cold...but get better when the fluid warms a bit. So it's really no big deal and just part of owning a manual trans. So I would go ahead and change it with either Nissan or Redline GL-4 synthetic and not worry about it. Much more harm can be done by not changing the oil then by changing it.

My other manual is a high horsepower sports car and it's notchy as hell no matter how warm it is and the clutch is hard as hell to push in. It's just plain unpleasant to drive compared to driving my Fronty in the coldest of weather.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I currently live on the gulf coast so it doesn't get too cold down here but I can tell that my 6 speed is a little hesitant going into 1 & 2 when it's cold (but no big deal) and mine only has 17k miles on it with the factory fill.

To be honest it's just the nature of the beast. I've owned several manuals (currently own 2) and they all have been a little stubborn when it's cold...but get better when the fluid warms a bit. So it's really no big deal and just part of owning a manual trans. So I would go ahead and change it with either Nissan or Redline GL-4 synthetic and not worry about it. Much more harm can be done by not changing the oil then by changing it.

My other manual is a high horsepower sports car and it's notchy as hell no matter how warm it is and the clutch is hard as hell to push in. It's just plain unpleasant to drive compared to driving my Fronty in the coldest of weather.
Alrighty I'll order some fluid tonight and get to it. Looking in my owners manual it says to use GL-5 80W-90 for the front diff and GL-5 75W-140 for the rear diff. This goes against the GL-4 recommendation I see a lot of people using here. Is there a reason people are using GL-4 instead?

Registered
Alrighty I'll order some fluid tonight and get to it. Looking in my owners manual it says to use GL-5 80W-90 for the front diff and GL-5 75W-140 for the rear diff. This goes against the GL-4 recommendation I see a lot of people using here. Is there a reason people are using GL-4 instead?
Don't confuse the diffs with the tranny. The diffs take GL-5 lubes like the manual states. You ONLY use GL-4 lube in the manual tranny. Don't confuse them cuz GL-5 has additives that will harm metals in your tranny.

Use GL-5 ONLY in diffs.
Use GL-4 ONLY in manual trans.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Don't confuse the diffs with the tranny. The diffs take GL-5 lubes like the manual states. You ONLY use GL-4 lube in the manual tranny. Don't confuse them cuz GL-5 has additives that will harm metals in your tranny.

Use GL-5 ONLY in diffs.
Use GL-4 ONLY in manual trans.
Thanks for spelling that out for me, I was switching things up in my head a little. Just placed my first big order and I got
5 quarts of Redline MT-85 (GL-4) for the transmission
2 quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic LS 75W-140 (GL-5) for the rear diff
1 gallon of Valvoline MaxLife ATF for the transfer case
Fram Engine Air Filter
OEM Cabin Air Filter
and I have a quart of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic LS 75W-90 (GL-5) laying around that I plan on using for the front diff.

Really excited for next weekend when I can put all this stuff to use. Thanks again for all the help 馃憤

Registered
You bet...it all looks right. Looks like you'll be ready for the long haul now. 馃嵒

Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
Hi Everyone,
After just looking for longer than I'd like to admit, I finally sprung and got a Frontier. It's a black 2011 King Cab 4x4 V6 6 speed Manual with 146,000 miles. I want to have this truck for the foreseeable future and so I'm going to perform as much preventative maintenance as possible. Given that, I have a few questions about how to keep it in good shape. All I know about previous maintenance is that 2 axle seals were replaced in the last 10,000 miles, the clutch was done around 100,000 miles, and that the oil was changed 100 miles ago. Other than that, I'm going to operate on the assumption its been awhile since other maintenance items have been done.

1. I read through the owners manuals and maintenance schedule PDFs that have been posted on this site, and the Nissan Maintenance schedule only goes up through 120,000. Im past that, so what are items that I should check or replace or change? And once those services are completed, what intervals should I expect to have to redo them? I know engine, differential and transfer case oil intervals, but other than that I couldn't find brake fluid flush intervals or the like.

2. There are a significant amount of small (0.5-2mm) paint chips on the hood/front of the car, as well as a few significant rust bubbles in other spots. Other than sanding down and repainting (I'm worried I won't be able to blend the colors well enough and it will look bad) Is there any wax or polish technique I can use to slow down rust and corrosion?

Thanks in advance guys! Im really excited to finally have a fronty and join the club 馃槑
P.S. Would also appreciate any other general advice of things I might not know but should, and sorry if I asked questions that have been already answered here on this forum.
If the Axle seals were replaced, maybe check to make sure that the Axle vent is not clogged. That may have been what caused the seals to fail in the first place. If it doesn't move freely, I would go buy a new axle vent.

Everything else? Just depends on how much documentation you have. If you do a CarFax report sometimes that shows the history of the maintenance and other info.

I would change all the fluids in the truck, and the water pump unless you know it was replaced recently. I am new to the Frontier but just using common sense goes a long way here.

Good Luck and enjoy your new to you truck 馃憤

1 - 13 of 13 Posts