Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting everything ready to do the axle vent mod on my truck. I have the Nissan part (38323-C601A) coming in the mail as I type.

For those of you who have used the Nissan part, what size hose fits best on the nipple? I have read 3/16", 1/4", and 5/16" all work.

Also, does anyone have a fuel filter part number? I found a 1/4" universal filter at AutoZone, but I guess that's only good if I end up using the 1/4" hose. It also wasn't clear like the ones I have seen in other posts. I would like a clear one to see if it has any bugs or other junk in it and not plugged up.

I'm hoping to get everything together and do the mod this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used 5/16 hose and it was too big for the Nissan nipple. Just added a bunch of teflontape around the nipple first then slid the hose on and tigtened the hose clamp

Buy a filter that fits whatever hose you need to get. I would think 3/16 or 1/4.

·
Registered
503 Posts
the fitting is 3/16 barb... use 3/16 fuel line. no a 1/4 filter will not work (in my opinion) though some do make it fit it is extremely tight. i lucked out and work for a heating and air supplier so i just got a clear 3/16 in line pneumatic filter that works very well. and get 8 ft of line and run it up into the tailight assembly. hope this helps!

edit

this is the one i used

http://www.plccenter.com/buy/BARBER+COLMAN/K335

it's 3/16 and tapers to 1/4 in

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't use a filter. I can't imagine debris making its way down the hose. I don't off road it.
I used to have an old Ranger Edge and it didn't have a filter on it either, just a hose ran up to a spot under the bed. Yeah, Ford was smart enough to do this from the factory!

I'll probably use a filter though, just that much more piece of mind, plus it's under $6 or so.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
^^ they also make vehicles that spontaneously combust, and with exploding steering linkage

they cant be that bright over at ford

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just remember that most filters are one-way filters. NOT GOOD! I couldn't find a two-way filter so I just bought some wire mesh and called it a day.

Lou

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just wondering what the Axle vent mod is and when it should be done?

thanks

·
Registered
788 Posts
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f62/2nd-gen-axle-vent-mod-write-up-40925/
It's simple, don't over think it, which seems like most people in this^^^ thread did. I just purchased the nipple from Courtesy Nissan, went down to O'Reilly and bought the cheapest 6 feet section of vacuum line that would fit the nipple, and bought the cheapest two way lawn mower gas filter they had that would fit on the line. Oh, don't forget some thread tape to seal it up tight on the axle.

mine:
I figured this would be the safest and cleanest routing.

Shot from underneath taillight.

Behind passenger side taillight.

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
It's simple, don't over think it, which seems like most people in this^^^ thread did. I just purchased the nipple from Courtesy Nissan, went down to O'Reilly and bought the cheapest 6 feet section of vacuum line that would fit the nipple, and bought the cheapest two way lawn mower gas filter they had that would fit on the line. Oh, don't forget some thread tape to seal it up tight on the axle.

mine:
I figured this would be the safest and cleanest routing.
What brand/size of vacuum line and filter did you use?

·
Registered
788 Posts
What brand/size of vacuum line and filter did you use?
I can't even remember the specific brand. I didn't pay much attention. Heck, now, I can't remember the line size either. 5/16" maybe? I really don't remember. I just made sure everything fit, and that was it.

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
I can't even remember the specific brand. I didn't pay much attention. Heck, now, I can't remember the line size either. 5/16" maybe? I really don't remember. I just made sure everything fit, and that was it.
Oh well, there's enough info in the other thread for me to figure it out. I need to do this mod soon. I like your simplistic approach.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I can't remember the size either. I got everything but the filter and Nissan barbed piece at HD though. All you need you'll find in the plumbing section. Hose is by the foot off of rollers.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Also, in the O'Reilly I bought the hose and filter from, they were both in the same aisle. It was labeled "vacuum/windshield wiper fluid hose" or something along those lines. It was right next to the boxed heater hose, etc. Then, I turned right around, and there was the lawn mower items. I asked if I could open the box and blew through both ends of the filter to make sure it was 2-way.

Btw: I have the hose running up the brake line, then it goes into the frame rail near where the brake line meets the frame. Then I have it exiting near the rear, right corner and have it coming up under the taillight.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question, but since I started this; what the He!!. Does the front diff not have a vent, and if not why not?

·
Registered
503 Posts
The front diff breather is attached to the air intake box.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question, but since I started this; what the He!!. Does the front diff not have a vent, and if not why not?
Its plugged into the Stock intake.
I have an aftermarket intake so mine wa just an open hose.
Heres the filter and mount i did on mine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts