Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Frontier with 30K miles. I have an intermittent tapping sound coming from around the glove box when the truck is in drive at idle. Using a stethoscope I have isolated the sound to the heater box under the dash. If I push up with slight pressure on the bottom of the box the tapping stops. Also if I increase the idle speed a bit the tapping stops. I have been to the dealer 6X on this issue and they have supposedly taped wires and installed foam around the heater box. They also increased base idle, but they increased it too much, like around 850 - 900 rpm. I had to get them to put it back. It idles around 700 - 750.

I believe that the tapping sound is likely due to the heater core or the AC condenser moving inside of the heater box. Its not causing any issues with the truck other than my sanity. Its like a dripping faucet, once you hear it you can't un-hear it.

I cannot get the dealer to look inside the heater box. I imagine its a great deal of work, like replacing the heater core. The truck is still under warranty. Has anyone dealt with something like this and if so how do you make the dealer fix the issue? Is there a way to open the heater box without removing it from the truck? The tapping drives me so crazy that I am seriously considering trading the vehicle. Thank you for any suggestions.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts