Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a question on towing capability (not capacity). I own a 2010 SE V6 4X4 Automatic with the towing package, 42K miles on the truck, other than a CAI its bone stock and I never towed with it. I am possibly going to buy a 1968 Pontiac Firebird that is 380 miles away and plan on towing it back with a U-Haul Auto Transport. According to the U-Haul site this will work but a friend says it's pushing the limits and as I would have some hills to navigate he recommends against it.

For those with experience I would appreciate your opinions and advice.

Thanks, UncleG

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quick internet searches show a curb weight of 3250 pounds for the Firebird, and 2210 pounds for the U-Haul Auto Transport.

I don't know what the towing capacity of your truck is. I'm thinking somewhere just north of 6000 pounds. You have a little wiggle room, but not much.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You will be fine.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Your tow cap is about 6100 lbs and if Bojib is correct, you should be ok. I wouldn't tow that much regularly but it should be ok. Turn the OD off.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses but is there anyone out there that has actually towed something similar for hundreds of miles? If so what was your experience?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Wouldn't want to tow that much on regular basis, but one time, no problem. Just take it easy and turn OD off unless flat or downhill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've done it in my 2011 Frontier. I towed a 2002 Altima from Flagstaff, AZ to Valencia, CA (465 miles) using a U-Haul Auto-Transport. I took it slow since I knew I was pushing the weight limits and because my headlights pointed to the sky. I made it to my destination safely and problem free, but will seek out a full size pickup next time I need to tow a vehicle that far.

·
Super Moderator
10,757 Posts
I towed a 69 GTO Judge 158 miles with an Xterra on a uhaul transport trailer and you sure could feel it but had no ill effects.
Just take your time and keep far back from any vehicle in front of you.

Clint

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, after reading the comments from those who have done it and watching some youtube videos I not going to try it, maybe if I was younger but there is about 100 miles of the trip on a hilly 2 lane road. If it was mostly divided highway I would do it even at my age, but I think I will just pay someone.
Thanks again,
UncleG

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks everyone, after reading the comments from those who have done it and watching some youtube videos I not going to try it, maybe if I was younger but there is about 100 miles of the trip on a hilly 2 lane road. If it was mostly divided highway I would do it even at my age, but I think I will just pay someone.
Thanks again,
UncleG
You could rent a truck as well as the trailer. Uhaul claims its 15' moving truck can tow 10,000 pounds. Can get pricey though. the truck is only $30 a day but they want $.79 per mile. So a one day out and back at the miles you describe would come out at about $330 for just the truck.

Another alternative that would be relatively cheap if the Firebird has a manual transmission would be to use a tow dolly. They say the dolly is 750# rather than the 2210# they claim for the trailer.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If the trailer you are pulling has trailer brakes and a weight distribution hitch you would probably be OK. I would not try it if not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2016 Frontier crew cab. I towed a 6X10 uhaul cargo trailer loaded to the hilt and the back of the truck was packed as well. It was household stuff, furniture,etc. It was pretty heavy. I hauled it 1000 miles from Northeast to SC. Plenty of hills. Truck earned it but had no issues with it either. Some of the long hills were a little slow but I was happy with how it did the job. I may be doing a similar trip in a couple months. I have no worries about it.
If you decide to haul the car yourself I would recommend using the trailer uhaul has that the car goes on fully, and not the dolly for your trip. The full car hauler has trailer brakes and I have used them before. They are very stable and handle really well. I wouldn't be afraid of it, just take your time and give yourself room to stop. Can't emphasize enough about watching out for the ding dongs on the road! You and your truck will do the job just fine! Its those around you that are the issue! I swear you must be able to buy a driver license out of a gumball machine these days!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks again everyone but I already decided against it, I got a shipping quote of $630 and at my age its worth it.

When I read the Nissan document on towing it mentioned that although the Truck has a 6500lb capacity that you should check the components capacity as well. And sure enough the hitch that came with the truck has only a 5000lb capacity and the ball as well.

So I really only have a 5000lb capacity anyway.

Thanks, UncleG

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
The Frontier is rated at 6500# with a weight distribution hitch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Frontier is rated at 6500# with a weight distribution hitch.
Not all trims, depends on 4x4 vs 2wd, and if king cab vs crew cab.

4x4 crew cab is 6100 IIRC, 2wd king cab is 6500.

Also, anything above 5000 lbs requires the weight distributing hitch. 5000 lbs requires the tow package as I believe the bumper alone is only 1200( but don't quote me on that )

That being said, 2016 KC Pro4-x with the 6spd, went Saskatoon to Vancouver with a fully loaded 6x10 uhaul enclosed trailer and truck did pretty darn good, you know the weight is back there, but if the trailer surge brakes are working good on the downhills you'll be finding you actually need to keep your foot on the throttle as the trailer does an excellent job of braking. Going up through the Rockies truck was just happy cruising along

·
Registered
741 Posts
Also, anything above 5000 lbs requires the weight distributing hitch.
That's pretty much what my main point was. He mentioned the stamped 5k rating on the OEM hitch, which is NOT setup for WDH

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's pretty much what my main point was. He mentioned the stamped 5k rating on the OEM hitch, which is NOT setup for WDH
??

Isn't the WDH completely different then the normal one?

Also to keep in mind ( as a generalization ) is that I've seen before where the rating of the ball itself is lower then the hitch

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seems like Uncle G's decision is a good one. If he isn't comfortable pushing the truck to the limit then it isn't worth a few hundred bucks of savings.
Plus these things , picking up possibly unknown cars that far away present problems too. Having someone else deal with it may be a better idea anyway!

·
Registered
258 Posts
You're fine.

Granted, you have a 4x4, so you're down to about 6100# vs my 6500#. My frontier has towed thousands of miles since new, and almost always around (or beyond) the tow limit.

Few common sense things:
-Make sure the tow ball is rated for 7500# or so, it usually ends up being the weakest link. If you plan to do more heavy towing, I recommend a weight-distribution hitch from Harbor Freight. Nissan Recommends it, too.
-Trailer brakes are a HUGE plus, I'm pretty sure your U-haul will have surge brakes, at the very least.
-60/40 load on the trailer, you want more load on the front of the trailer than on the back, but don't go nuts.
-Take it easy and let the automatic do its job. Leave it in Drive when on level ground or uphill.
-When going down hills, shift to lower gears to maintain speed, don't rely on your brakes, except to stop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts