Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV V6 4x4
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the hood strut kit from Offroad Gorilla last week. Love having the struts, but I have a question. I had struts from the factory on my 2020 F-150 and as soon as you lifted on the hood at all, it immediately went up. I'm noticing that with this new set of struts, it is not that way at all. In fact, I have to lift the hood quite a bit before the struts take over and lift.

So the question is, is this the norm, or should it be better than this? With the whole shipping debacle from Offroad Gorilla, I had ordered a set of struts from Z1 Offroad. I've considered trying that set and seeing if it's better, but before I did I wanted to see if it was going to be any better. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
310 Posts
I am not familiar with that kit, but bear in mind that those gas charged struts exert a lot of force very low on the hood. The hood was not designed for gas struts so they may have engineered it with lower power to avoid damage to the hood. As long as it holding the hood securely, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
On my Titan I have to lift it a little ways before the struts take over. I was always fine with the hood prop, it always works.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I had to lift it about a foot before it would take over. Eventually ended up taking off the struts and going back to the rod...as stated previously the rod always works. I was mostly not excited that when the day came a replacement would be needed, I'd have to buy a new ORG kit because the shocks are not an off the shelf part. Also, they lifted my hood so high that the hood rubbed the fender and scraped off paint. That is not a problem for everyone though, I believe that truck had it's hood improperly installed at the factory, as most don't seem to have that problem.

Anyways, yes it's normal to have to lift up on the hood before the struts kick in.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Reactions: Hamilgs

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV V6 4x4
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m not near mine, but I think I have to lift it 1/4 of the way before the struts take over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's really what I wanted to make sure of. Wanted to make sure it was pretty "normal" to have to lift it part way. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
510 Posts
I really love the way the OEM prop rod works. I have never had one which was so unobtrusive. So easy to use and stays out of your way to work under the hood.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine is the same- the hood needs to be lifted a bit before the struts take over.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It's fulcrum and geometry combo issue. The further back the mounts are located (towards the hinge), the higher the strut pressure needed. When Offroad Gorilla packaged the hardware for this kit, they did their best to balance the specs.
I wasn't satisfied with the one I sampled so I bought pistons with higher pressure from McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
832 Posts
Any of you guys ever have a square body Chevy? Most of you probably do know that back then most hoods were supported by big, heavy, spring-loaded hinges. My Blazer’s hood broke in half right at the crumple zone. Both of my father-in-law’s trucks did too. They even sell a hood brace to “solve” the problem. And those hoods were designed to be supported from the back. As cool as I think the hood struts are, I think I’ll keep my prop rod.

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
Any of you guys ever have a square body Chevy? Most of you probably do know that back then most hoods were supported by big, heavy, spring-loaded hinges. My Blazer’s hood broke in half right at the crumple zone. Both of my father-in-law’s trucks did too. They even sell a hood brace to “solve” the problem. And those hoods were designed to be supported from the back. As cool as I think the hood struts are, I think I’ll keep my prop rod.
I remember that issue and the stiffening braces, most people didn’t bother lubricating the hinges so they would bind up and the hood would fold. A little white lithium grease makes a world of difference.

Clint

Reactions: DanB2019

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV V6 4x4
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really love the way the OEM prop rod works. I have never had one which was so unobtrusive. So easy to use and stays out of your way to work under the hood.
prop rod wasn’t that bad, but at 6’2” I was always bumping my head on the hood. Not a problem with the hood struts.

·
Super Moderator
12,317 Posts
prop rod wasn’t that bad, but at 6’2” I was always bumping my head on the hood. Not a problem with the hood struts.
Can’t you make a bracket that accommodates the prop rod and holds the hood higher?
Some vehicles have a secondary hole for when it’s in for repairs. It’s such an easy thing to do when manufacturing it.

Clint

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV V6 4x4
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can’t you make a bracket that accommodates the prop rod and holds the hood higher?
Some vehicles have a secondary hole for when it’s in for repairs. It’s such an easy thing to do when manufacturing it.

Clint
I'm sure I could have, but the hood struts were a quick, easy, and not that expensive mod.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’m not near mine, but I think I have to lift it 1/4 of the way before the struts take over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I could have, but the hood struts were a quick, easy, and not that expensive mod.
When the hood is closed the struts are almost horizontal o the hood has to be raise a little before the strut can exert upward force.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts