Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time for new tires, and was considering the KO2 in this size and load range, recommended by the BFG website. This is for a 2016 Pro-4X with 2”/1.5” lift.

My question, the website notes recommends increasing air pressure to 48 (!] lbs. What is your experience with these? What pressure are you running? I wouldn’t mind if the ride did not become too harsh, or too noisy.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you go rock crawling a lot, I'd consider load range E. But if you spend 99% of your time on the slab, you might as well get P265/75R16. Load Range E tires are suitable for my F-250, which puts more weight on its front axle alone than what the Frontier weighs in total.

Putting 48 PSI in load range E tires on a Frontier would likely mean that you're only running on the center of the tread. I'd imagine somewhere around 25-35PSI would be more suitable, assuming that the Frontier can "squish" the tires down enough to get full contact.

Keep in mind that all-terrain tires have a more curved tread, whereas highway tires are flat across.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I think load range E would be overkill.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had KO2s on my Frontier also, same answer as @The other Sean - 36/38ish, using the chalk test.

Thank you! What do you think of them as far as ride quality and noise? I had the original BFG KOks on my rRanger, and the Hankook ATM‘s that are OEM on the Pro-4X.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Thanks guys, I think load range E would be overkill.
I have the BFGs you’re asking about and run 35 psi and that’s actually what Discount tire aired them to when purchased. Even for my light truck KC the E’s don’t feel bad at all.. and really these tires are a pretty flat tread design when aired properly, nice foot print!

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Thank you! What do you think of them as far as ride quality and noise? I had the original BFG KOks on my rRanger, and the Hankook ATM‘s that are OEM on the Pro-4X.
Read here: Low Noise Roller. – project:KEIRA (projectraine.com)

From E-rated KO2s I went to P/SL rated AT-M's, but I'm switching tires again.
If you are concerned about road noise, the E-rated KO2s I had got louder as they wear down.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Load range E is too stiff for off road.
Just sold 9 Toyo MT , load range eat a huge loss.
Even at 35-40 lbs, too stiff and will not air down enough .
Went to Bfg, AT load range c.
Toyo is a better tire in my opinion but using them so I can use Bfg pit service.

Reactions: mv213

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Load range E is too stiff for off road.
Just sold 9 Toyo MT , load range eat a huge loss.
Even at 35-40 lbs, too stiff and will not air down enough .
Went to Bfg, AT load range c.
Toyo is a better tire in my opinion but using them so I can use Bfg pit service.
A: That recommendation doesn’t apply here because There is no BFG load C available in 265/75-16. Not in KO2, not even in Falken AT-3/W, etc. E is the only type available in KO2, SL or E for AT-3/W.

B: Not trying to discount your opinion in any way here - but your high speed competition usage is an exception, not what’s common compared to what most people here plan on doing with their trucks - be it mall crawling, soft roading, mostly lower speed stuff that is night and day with what you use your tires for:D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yeah, dont we have a desert racing thread just for the ole whistler..............I think he just wants all the young kids to know he's the real deal when it comes to runnin the slit pits.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It really depends on where you're at and what you're doing. E load tires have a definite purpose even on light trucks like ours. If you're running over super sharp rocks all the time, like in parts of the Rockies parts of Northern Arizona blah blah. They stop you from getting punctures. When I ran trails hard out here every weekend I would eat up P load tires like they were nothing. There's a reason why the forest service won't use anything but E load in this region. If you drive on the highway all the time like someone earlier said then yeah, you don't need these. It's not a macho thing. It's about specific use for you. But there's absolutely no doubt that E load is an awful lot for this truck and weighs a lot more than most people need too.

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
374 Posts
Love my KO2s. Run them at 36f and 32r. No. They don't ride as soft or as quiet as the stock Hankooks but they are damn near indestructible. Let them down to 12psi for the beach with no fears about coming off the bead.

Best part though, they look awesome!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Unfortunately, the 16" wheels are holding you back. Very limited tire options for that wheel size. That is the issue i ran into and solved it by buying a set of 17" OEM wheels off an older frontier or xterra. That opens up your world many tire size and rating. 265/70R17s (same size as a 265/75R16) are readily available in C-rating from BFG and other manufacturers. Also, thanks to Jeep Wranglers, 255/75R17 (slightly narrower, slightly taller than stock) c-rated tire choices are plentiful. That's the route i went. Tires are WAY lighter than E rated, you can still keep some of your gas mileage and acceleration white running and LT tire.
And as mentioned above, LT tires really aren't needed. E rated tires are way overkill for a truck this small. I ran all over colorado on Engineer pass, black bear, etc on the stock P-rated tires on my '17 Pro4x. No issues at all. In fact, the only tire i have ever gotten a puncture in while on the trail was a D-rated tire.

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
374 Posts
Unfortunately, the 16" wheels are holding you back. Very limited tire options for that wheel size. That is the issue i ran into and solved it by buying a set of 17" OEM wheels off an older frontier or xterra. That opens up your world many tire size and rating. 265/70R17s (same size as a 265/75R16) are readily available in C-rating from BFG and other manufacturers. Also, thanks to Jeep Wranglers, 255/75R17 (slightly narrower, slightly taller than stock) c-rated tire choices are plentiful. That's the route i went. Tires are WAY lighter than E rated, you can still keep some of your gas mileage and acceleration white running and LT tire.
And as mentioned above, LT tires really aren't needed. E rated tires are way overkill for a truck this small. I ran all over colorado on Engineer pass, black bear, etc on the stock P-rated tires on my '17 Pro4x. No issues at all. In fact, the only tire i have ever gotten a puncture in while on the trail was a D-rated tire.
You are 100% correct, I considered the 17" route, but I really love the chunky tire look. Meaning the rubber vs rim ratio. Ultimately I paid more for the tires and for fuel all for vanity.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Engineer pass Is pretty incredible the Alpine Loop is a lot of fun, obviously not technical at all. I think I've only used four-wheel drive in a couple spots there, which is nice cuz you can actually look around. On hard trails, (Which were all around the area you were in, obviously, LOL. ) you spend so much time staring at the ground you never see anything. That's an extremely beautiful drive. I'm sure you had a great time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
you don't need these. It's not a macho thing. It's about specific use for you.
Agreed 110%. Who cares what someone else on a web forum has. If you won't realize any benefit from mods, then you're throwing money at the wall.

I get asked "Why don't you install an XYZ?" The answer is, because I won't use it, and I'm not paying for ornaments. Conversely, I don't mind dropping coin for things I will use the snot out of.

Anecdotally, I am not a fan of BFG A/Ts. They are just about the worst rain tires I've used. I'd rather run highway tires with 4/32 tread than brand new BFG A/Ts. But again, what I need in a tire might differ from you.

A plus-side of load range E tires is they generally have deeper tread than an equivalent-size P-rated tire. In my experience, off road tires wear out similar to dirt bike tires. They don't lose traction because of tread depth; they lose traction because the tread blocks get rounded off.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
In the end, @Marcusfrontrange nailed it, mostly:

It really depends on where you're at and what you're doing. E load tires have a definite purpose even on light trucks like ours. If you're running over super sharp rocks all the time, like in parts of the Rockies parts of Northern Arizona blah blah. They stop you from getting punctures. When I ran trails hard out here every weekend I would eat up P load tires like they were nothing. There's a reason why the forest service won't use anything but E load in this region. If you drive on the highway all the time like someone earlier said then yeah, you don't need these. It's not a macho thing. It's about specific use for you. But there's absolutely no doubt that E load is an awful lot for this truck and weighs a lot more than most people need too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In the end, @Marcusfrontrange nailed it, mostly:
I think I need to be more succinct, Wow, that's a big word for this guy's vocabulary. LOL. I'm in the middle of a cross-country road trip and my CD player just died. Read all your write-ups last night. I just started looking using all your advice. My last purchase from Crutchfield was in the 90s.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts